Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

peanut butter

breeze
February 23rd, 2007, 08:37 PM
is it ture that peanut butter is not good for dogs?? then why do they make cookies in peanut butter flavor. would you give your dog peanut butter treats?

Prin
February 23rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
It's a bit fatty, but as long as your dog is ok with it and you don't give too much, it should be ok. The risk with too much fat is pancreatitis. Everything in moderation... :o

Mocha's mum
February 23rd, 2007, 08:40 PM
Maybe it's some of the additives or sugar in peanut butter. I make Mocha's dog cookies with peanut butter and use the organic, no sugar added stuff, and he seems to be fine....:shrug:

breeze
February 23rd, 2007, 08:44 PM
I saw the buddy biscuits peanut butter flavor and wanted to try them for certain training( at this point i will try anything certain training is not going well) they are very tiny smaller than my baby finger i don't give to many. praise with my hands and food when nessary.

Dad of Dog's
February 23rd, 2007, 09:11 PM
Where did you hear that peanut butter was bad?

It is fine and the fat is good fat and it's good for protein.

Spirit
February 23rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
It's high in fats and sugar, as well as being hard on the liver (in larger quantities).

Moderation. ;)

Frenchy
February 23rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
I used to put some in the marrow bones for Bailey and Daisy but no more fattening treat here. :shrug: (not since I got Sam :D )

rainbow
February 23rd, 2007, 10:13 PM
Isn't natural (no sugar, no preservatives added) okay?

luckypenny
February 23rd, 2007, 10:16 PM
Every now and then I use Natural Balance sausage rolls (I think that's what they're called) for training. I just put a chunk in my training pack and pinch off a piece when I need it. Pretty convenient and the dogs love it too but only a tiny piece is necessary. Penny actually prefers apples.

I use a little peanut butter to give Lucky his medication. I can't bring myself to push it down his throat :yuck: and I'm sure he appreciates it too.

Prin
February 23rd, 2007, 10:27 PM
Isn't natural (no sugar, no preservatives added) okay?

Better than sugary, preservativey peanut butter. :) Every dog is different. If you give too much for your dog, there may be gastrointestinal consequences.
:D

rainbow
February 23rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
I only occassionally have a peanut butter/banana sandwich, but when I do, I usually share with my boys. :shrug:

mummummum
February 24th, 2007, 01:56 AM
....there may be gastrointestinal consequences.
:D

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

CinnaAngie
February 25th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I find that natural peanut butter can be really goopy and turns out to be pretty messy (trust me, I found this out the hard way... peanut butter is not easy to clean off of an energetic lab...luckily it was all confined to her kennel!). Natural peanut butter doesn't have all those additives which make peanut butter keep from seperating (hence the oil layer on the top if you let natural peanut butter sit). I do give her "regular" unnatural peanut butter, but i find one that has sugar lower on the list of ingredients. Maybe it was the brand of natual peanut butter that I have, but it just fell out of the bone I had filled for her. To finish the container off, I mixed it with regular peanut butter, and that made it less goopy.

And I agree, it's all about moderation. Nikki only gets peanut butter once or twice a week, about a tablespoon at a time. but I have never heard that it is bad for dogs...

mummummum
February 26th, 2007, 12:30 AM
:sorry: :offtopic: well, a little bit any way.

If you get your peanuts ground try to use it that day. If you buy something like "Just peanuts" by Presidents Choice and you plan on using it 1-2 days from purchase day, turn it upside down. An hour (or whenever) later turn it upside right. A hour later turn it upside down and so on until you are ready to use it. This gives the oil an opportunity to disperse through the peanut mix. When you open it you will still want to use a knife to dig down into the peanut mix and stir in the remaining oil.

I recently was given a sandwich with a commercial brand which shall remain nameless and I couldn't believe how nasty-unpeanut-buttery, rancid and sugary it tasted all at the same time. :eek:

BusterBoo
February 26th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Both my dogs get peanut butter and toast every morning (about a half a toast each) and I do stuff Buster's Kong with a tablespoon of PB. I have never had a problem and they both love it.

Breeze......where do you get the Buddy biscuits??? Someone I know said their dogs LOVE them, but I haven't been able to find any???

breeze
February 26th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Both my dogs get peanut butter and toast every morning (about a half a toast each) and I do stuff Buster's Kong with a tablespoon of PB. I have never had a problem and they both love it.

Breeze......where do you get the Buddy biscuits??? Someone I know said their dogs LOVE them, but I haven't been able to find any???

I'm in montreal I can get them in the vets office and at nature petstores.
https://www9.mailordercentral.com/cloudstar/sitemap.asp You can email them and ask where to get them if you are not in montreal, they come in big and small ones my dog goes nuts over them.