Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need input on how I can get solve this simple problem

cpietra16
February 23rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
The problem is simple and yet annoyingly problematic....ITS a RANT TOO

For those of you who know me, you know that I recently (5-6 months ago) adopted 2 ferrels, Charlie and Tiger. Well Charlie and Tiger sort of trust me. I can feed them and they let me pet them only when I feed them. Charlie was easier, until the day I had a repair man come in to fix the furnace...now he is back to not trusting me. I need him to trust me because.....The problem is this:

Charlie has loose poop and I believe he may have worms. I can't get any meds until the vet sees him...I can't get close enough to grab him, and he stays away from all carriers like they are poisoned....:yell: If I do manage to grab him he will never trust me again.

I have worked with ferrels before, and I like to work slow so that they trust me and they come to me. I was very close with Charlie. He was starting to let me pet him even when I didn't have food. Then came the furnace man, and if I grab him now then I will give him another reason and another year of not trusting me...I need them to trust me becasue I need the meds....

They are the most stubborn cats I have ever met....I I blame Tiger for this influence becasue Charlie would have been eating out of my hands by now if Tiger was not so freaked out...

So to reiterate...
-1- I need Charlie to get his meds, so he needs to go to the vets, or I need a vet that would take a sample of the poop and test it to see if it had worms, without the cat being there :yell:

So fellow site mates....any suggestions:confused:

SARAH
February 23rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
I don't know, but isn't there some kind of "general" worm meds you could give him to see if it helps, without it harming him should that not be the problem?

Alternately, put a mild sedative in his food and catch him when he's asleep.

Or ... take a poop-sample without the cat - I can't see why this would be a problem to a vet?

gtrfan7
February 23rd, 2007, 04:42 PM
You can get general dewormers at places like PetSmart that are liquid and you can give with a syringe (way easier than a pill) ... of course, that requires you being able to get within the vicinity of their heads. Alternatively, you might be able to put the liquid in their food or something. These dewormers don't treat all kinds of worms, though.

One drawback to following this course is that you still won't know if you have treated the worms or not.

I would have to agree with using a mild sedative or just taking a poop sample to the vet. Most vets, after hearing the explanation, will probably test your sample for you anyway.

Boo Boo
February 23rd, 2007, 05:06 PM
I have only meet one ferret in my life time, very cute and flexible creatures. The one thing I remeber is that ferret LOVED my handbag, he keep going in it no matter where I put. Who knows that may work.

try to find one that is used that may have a smell

Let me know if it works

mummummum
February 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Your regular Vet won't test the sample without seeing the cat? Phone and ask, there's no harm in asking cpietra !

(p.s. Boo Boo: Charlie is a feral cat, not a ferret)

rainbow
February 23rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
I agree. You should be able to take a poop sample into the vet to be tested. I've done that before. If they seem to think the cat needs to come in for some reason, explain the situation to them. Good luck. :fingerscr

Dracko
February 23rd, 2007, 08:22 PM
!

(p.s. Boo Boo: Charlie is a feral cat, not a ferret)

:laughing: Sorry to laugh but when I initially read the first post I read it as ferret but quickly realized it was "feral." :p

Frenchy
February 23rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
I tought we were talking about ferret too :o

Prin
February 23rd, 2007, 10:16 PM
Me too..

But I agree- if you tell them it's a feral, maybe they'll make an exception, if they don't normally test stools without the animal being there..

luckypenny
February 23rd, 2007, 10:30 PM
Our vet in NDG does take stool samples to analyze without the pet needing to be present. I've done it several times. Do you need a name? Am I allowed to post it here?

athenamor
February 24th, 2007, 12:20 AM
You should be able to take in a sample. The vets around here do that. (I had to shop around for price of poop analizing) they called w/ the results, and I picked up the meds.

chico2
February 24th, 2007, 07:28 AM
CPietra,you should have no problem bringing a poopsample to the vet,the only problem might be,who belongs to which poop in the litterbox:D since you are probably not there when he poops.
However chances are they might both have worms,right??
I am surprised they have not yet calmed down and become trusting,so I guess they were very feral:sad:
I am greatful you have not gven up on them:cat:

Scott_B
February 24th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Yeah, I would treat them both for worms, just to be safe.

And really, there doesnt seem to be a way around it, you gotta just get the kitties, and give em the meds. That said, they make pill pockets which you can hide the pill inside a treat. Sometimes this works.

chico2
February 24th, 2007, 08:30 AM
With my Rocky,who takes 1/4 pill twice daily,I mash it up in a little bit of canned food,add a little water and when he finished that he gets the rest of his food.
It's worked for a few months now.

Rottielover
February 24th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I am so sorry you are going through this stage again with them.
Worms are easily transmitted from one animal to another, so more than likely if one has they both do. As for the stool sample, do you know which can has the loose stool?
I would bring the stool sample without the cat. and if parasites are found. Deworm both. Hope this helps, at least a little bit

badger
February 24th, 2007, 10:45 AM
There are some all-round dewormers for cats coming on the market, good for both roundworms, etc. and tapes. They can be added to their food - although you would have to hang around and make sure each cat gets his portion, and no more.

This is a UK website, so you might have to do a little research. Maybe you could order it over the internet?

http://animalmedicines.co.uk/product.php?productid=703&cat=184&page=1&js=n

I don't know why vets are so constipated about giving out worm meds. Even a fecal exam isn't 100%. I'm not one to medicate a cat for no reason, but a feral cat is almost certain to have parasites.

rainbow
February 24th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Yes, you would definitely have to worm both cats. :)

cpietra16
February 24th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks everyone....I think I may have a vet who is willing to just have the stool sample, and yes I think I may have to treat both in case....I just hope its worms because I have a felling that if I have to get Charlie into a carrier...:yell: for both of us...catsnatcher if that happens I'm calling in the cavalry...:D

glitterless
February 25th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Usually if one cat has worms, the other one will too, so unless you've just dewormed the other cat, you might as well do both.

We have one feral in the house right now (well, a few actually..but the other ones have come around and are pretty friendly now) and she is a psycho. We have managed to grab her and dose her once. But she's due for another dose and I keep putting it off. She's come so far over the past couple of months that I hate to do anything to scare her again...so I know how you feel. Fuzzy 2 actually comes close to us now until we make eye contact, and then she takes off!

I take pity on the poor vet that has to spay her eventually. I don't know how they'll get a needle into that cat!

cpietra16
February 25th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Glitterless, fortunately both Charlie and Tiger have been fixed thanks to catsnatcher who was feeding them . You can look at the "homeless in winter" regarding the homeless5 kitties who battled a few harsh winters before Charlie and Tiger found their way to my house. Both cats have been thru so much that I know it will take them more than just a few months to come around. The only one they seem to trust is me ( when I carry food) and Winnie my lab. Anyway I just need to get their poop analyzed so I can correct the problem...I hope

SARAH
February 25th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I was just thinking, reading the later posts ... when I lived out in the country where my cats and dogs always got hold of something (mice, rabbits, frogs, whatever!) I used to automatically deworm them once a year with a general product. My goats had a "shot" of liquid deworming -especially for goats obviously - orally with the help of a special syringe (it must have been good, because they used to fight to be the next in line to get it - and yes, I did know who had received his/her dose and not).

Moving closer to and even in cities, I stopped this "automatic deworming" in spring, and ... they got worms! So I started up again, and no more problems. I would also put the anti-flea and tick drops between the animals' shoulderblades in spring and fall, keeping them parasite free as well - flea collars don't seem as effective.

If your two ferals eat at about the same time and from separate dishes, I'd just give them both the meds mixed in the food (and hope they don't detect the taste and leave it all!).