Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Crate or X-Pen?

rainbow
February 23rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
My lab (1 1/2 yr) is going for his TPLO surgery on March 7 and needs to be totally restricted for 2 months afterwards and then restricted from playing for another 2 months. :sad:

As I have a two year old husky that is just as rambunctious as the lab and they love to play together I am going to have a big problem. I've decided I am going to have to keep Chase contained in the house so he and Logan can't get near each other.

Chase has never been in a crate so I am anticipating problems and was wondering if an x-pen would be better as he would have more room. But the x-pens are only 36 inches high and he is 90 lb. with long legs. I've seen wire cages but the largest size doesn't look very big.

Has anyone with a large dogs used these? Has anyone been in a similar situation where you have to keep two boisterous dogs separate for an extended period of time?

All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Dogastrophe
February 23rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Do you have an extra room that you could block off with a couple of baby gates? Two stacked on top of each other would give you about a 5' high barrier (or if you leave a gap between them you could get about 6' high) and would also allow the pups to see each other and not feel like they are being shut out.

4thedogs
February 23rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
There are large enough crates but you will pay for them, 54" is 400-500. X-pens come in a 48" as well.

Spirit
February 23rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Where abouts in BC do you live? I have a large one that I could lend you (or sell to you) if you're interested. The original price tag is still on it, so it's in great shape. I've been hanging on to it "just incase", but it's really just been in the way.

I don't know how big it is, but a friend of mine is about 5'10" and weighs about 230lbs, can fit in it. I have a 60lb golden retriever, and I can squish both of us in it too (I'm 5'7, 125lbs). Not comfortably, mind you, but that's not the point. LOL!

The difference between the x-pen and crate is the x-pen is designed for your dog to have room to move around in. If your guy is 90lbs and needs to rest with minimal exercise, I would suggest a crate.

mummummum
February 23rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
When Ceili had her cruciate done, she really didn't want to move about much anyway so restricting her wasn't an issue. I took a week off afterwards, just to make sure she wasn't trying to do anything she oughtn't. I did keep her in a room closed in by a babygate and walked her sister Bridie separately as Bridie is the "rough-play instigator".

OntarioGreys
February 23rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
If you use an x-pen I would suggest anchoring it to some heavy furniture or to the wall so it does not accidently collapse on your dog in the event the other jumps against it wanting to play.

I have used before with injured dogs that needed to be seperated

rainbow
February 23rd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone. I was also thinking that the x-pen wouldn't be sturdy enough so I guess it's going to be a wire crate. He'll only have to be in it when I have to go into town or if I'm busy doing something in the house and Logan is inside too and overnight. I know he'll put up a fuss because right now he sleeps on the bed with me. :D

Spirit, thanks for the off but I live in the West Kootenays. :)

Dogastrophe, I could do that but then he would jump up on the bed. :rolleyes:

MX3, are Ceili and Bridie as young as my two? Both mine are rough play "instigators". :frustrated:

mummummum
February 23rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
MX3, are Ceili and Bridie as young as my two? Both mine are rough play "instigators". :frustrated:

My grrrrlies are seven now. Ceili had her surgery 3 (??? or 4 ???) years ago. Bridie is almost always the one to start it, but boyyyyy-o-boy can they play-fight and real-fight when they've a mind to. :eek:

When Ceili was recuperating she spent most her her time in the kitchen if I wasn't home. I bought a bunch of bathmats to cover the kitchen floor for traction, put her bed in there and uses a mesh baby-gate to keep out Bridie.

I bought a ramp for Ceili last year so that she can get on and off the bed on her own (she also has hip dysplasia). But they are $$$$$.

Prin
February 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
I don't know about a crate, but to me an x-pen would be to risky. If he attempts to jump, he's done..:o

Baby gates would be better, IMO, if you can't get a crate.
:grouphug:

rainbow
February 23rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
MX3, so Ceili was twice as old as what Chase is when she had her surgery done. So, probably not quite as active. But, at least, Chase doesn't have hip dysplasia.....yet. :fingerscr

I can't "baby gate" here because we have an open floor plan. :frustrated:

TeriM
February 24th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Glad to hear you've got a date for the surgery :) . Fingers and paws crossed :fingerscr for Chase to have a quick recovery and for you to keep your sanity.

rainbow
February 24th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks, Teri. I got a feeling it's going to be a long haul.

rainbow
February 25th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Any more suggestions on how to keep two young doggies apart? :o

SnowDancer
February 25th, 2007, 11:40 AM
I would go with the crate. I had to do this when my mini Dachshunds had back surgery - and they were not dogs that ever went in crates - but no choice. An X-Pen wouldn't have worked because they could climb - same with baby gates. So the crate went on the bed. It will be a long haul and very hard, but not a lot of choice here. Best of luck.

mummummum
February 25th, 2007, 11:59 AM
My only concern with crating Ceili was watching her trying to get up and turn around ~ she needed alot of space to do so. When they were wee ones, we had borrowed an X-Large crate and I just couldn't see her doing it without whacking herself on the sides of the crate.

What about something like this Rainbow ?I didn't check the prices but there are a quite a few rental places in BC. Might be worth looking into given your open floor plan. http://www.modu-loc.ca/products.html

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2007, 12:16 PM
rainbow...when Evan :rip: had his elbow surgery, we had to keep him confined. We got a huge crate for him since he was in a splint for most of the recovery. He needed to be able to move with one splinted leg full out in front or to the side and in a dreaded elizabethan collar (DEC :o ) because he chewed on the splint otherwise. So we got him a huge wire crate--can't remember where. It folds down to about 2 inches high and is very heavy duty. (If we were closer, I'd let you use it for Chase...) Here's a picture of Evan in it--keep in mind that Evan was a 60-pounder:

It was listed as the size used for Great Danes or St Bernards.

Once E's DEC and splint were off, he had plenty of room to move around in there, without being able to "over"do...

Do you want me to try to find out where we got it? It sure was a life-saver! I wish we'd had it for Priscilla's hip replacements--I would've liked a break from having her tied to my waste for those 22 weeks :eek:

rainbow
February 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM
My only concern with crating Ceili was watching her trying to get up and turn around ~ she needed alot of space to do so. When they were wee ones, we had borrowed an X-Large crate and I just couldn't see her doing it without whacking herself on the sides of the crate.

What about something like this Rainbow ?I didn't check the prices but there are a quite a few rental places in BC. Might be worth looking into given your open floor plan. http://www.modu-loc.ca/products.html

None of the rental places are near us. I figured out that I can close the bedroom doors and block off the two doorways to the hall and keep him in the hallway. But, I think I'll get a wire crate as well in case he is too active in the hallway.

rainbow
February 25th, 2007, 02:57 PM
It was listed as the size used for Great Danes or St Bernards.

Once E's DEC and splint were off, he had plenty of room to move around in there, without being able to "over"do...

Do you want me to try to find out where we got it? It sure was a life-saver! I wish we'd had it for Priscilla's hip replacements--I would've liked a break from having her tied to my waste for those 22 weeks

Hazel, could you do me a favour and let me know the length, width and height of your crate.

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Hazel, could you do me a favour and let me know the length, width and height of your crate.

I think Evan's is 54" (137 cm) long, 35" (89 cm) wide, and 45" (114 cm) tall. I think we got it from Foster and Smith. The brand is "Gorilla Tough." It was pricey: over $160 US back then. I can't find it in their current catalog (might be on their website, though--http://www.DrsFosterSmith.com. They show some smaller ones, item #AAA-5332 and #AAA-5333. Also pricey, but the wire gauge is really heavy.

Care-a-lot, a mail-order pet company, has something similar (but I don't think it folds) for $140 US. The next size down is much cheaper--$62 US. It's 4 ft (121 cm) long, 30 inches (76 cm) wide and 3 ft (91 cm) high. That may still be big enough for Chase to turn comfortably and stand up, even with a hood on if he needs one the first few weeks to keep him off stitches. They have a website: http://www.carealotpets.com The item #s are 411 and 446.

I'm sure they could be got cheaper elsewhere...maybe Costco carries something like that? We finally resorted to the catalog because the one pet supply store in the area at the time didn't carry anything big enough...

If we were closer, I'd lend you Evan's. Awful heavy to ship, though--I think it weighs something like 60 pounds...maybe 70! :eek:

he he he And I just noticed that I said Priscilla was tied to my garbage he he he when actually it was just to my waist! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Oh, and the mattress was separate--we just bought a thin flatbed of about the proper dimension, then covered it with a twin or baby flat sheet. Easier to wash the sheet when it gets groaty than the flatbed :D

rainbow
February 26th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Hazel, thanks for all the info. We seen one at Walmart but it was way up high and we didn't have time to wait for someone to help us. They might have low prices but their service sucks. :rolleyes:

I think it was 48x30x36.....it looked big enough but I still need to look closer to make sure. I'm going to check out Petcetera in Kelowna when we get there. I don't like ordering big stuff from a catalogue because of the shipping charges. :o

Again, thanks so much for all your help. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
February 26th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I think it was 48x30x36.....it looked big enough but I still need to look closer to make sure. I'm going to check out Petcetera in Kelowna when we get there. I don't like ordering big stuff from a catalogue because of the shipping charges. :o

Yeah, the shipping charges can be fearsome or I'd ship you Evan's! :o

I hope you can find something locally...sure wish we had been able to!

I suspect that a 48 x 30 x 36 would be plenty big enough for Chase. Hubby and I were talking about it and he thought one Evan's size might be too big--Chase might still be able to move enough in it to hurt himself. We had a 90-pound lab that would have fit nicely into a 48 x 30 x 36. :thumbs up

OntarioGreys
February 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Rainbow, do you have any farm supply stores around you?

If so check for a crate there it will lkely be far less expensive than a pet store

If you or you husband are creative you could make an x- pen with a top using PCV , netting and cable ties that way you could make to the size your comfortable with, much like this style

http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/standard/January04/304020_264df.jpg

Instructions for making pcv pen
http://www.bark.addr.com/pat/expen/expen.html

rainbow
February 26th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I suspect that a 48 x 30 x 36 would be plenty big enough for Chase. Hubby and I were talking about it and he thought one Evan's size might be too big--Chase might still be able to move enough in it to hurt himself. We had a 90-pound lab that would have fit nicely into a 48 x 30 x 36. :thumbs up

Thanks, Hazel. I wasn't sure if it would be too small so that is re-assuring. :)

rainbow
February 26th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Rainbow, do you have any farm supply stores around you?

If so check for a crate there it will lkely be far less expensive than a pet store

If you or you husband are creative you could make an x- pen with a top using PCV , netting and cable ties that way you could make to the size your comfortable with

Thanks, OG. We do have a farm supply store in the next town over from us. I wish I had have read your post earlier as we were just there picking up xrays from the vet to take with us. I'll give them a call tomorrow to see what they've got. :)

Hubby is pretty handy and would be able to rig something up but his arm is still in a sling because of his shoulder surgery. :o