Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My tip of the day

trippincherri
February 23rd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Okay so I forgot to post this in the Frugal living thread, but its so smart I have to post it anyway.

For those of you who wash your own clothes ;)
remove your lint trap from your dryer and run some tap water into it.
Does the water run through? Probably not, your probably thinking "thats odd it is a screen afterall" and yes the water SHOULD run through.
The reason it doesn't is your dryer sheets (bounce etc..) make a film on your lint trap screen, making your dryer less than efficient, and causing it to work harder than it needs to when drying your laundry.
This film will also decrease drying time.

Solution: Take dish soap and a scrub brush and clean the screen thoroughly until water runs straight through. This simple task should be done every few months.
Remember to let screen dry completley before using in your dryer again!!

Hopefully I just saved some of you some pennies...:p

~michelle~
February 23rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
:highfive: ill keep that in mind for one day when i have my own washer and dryer... thank you!

Hunter's_owner
February 23rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
Yes that is a great tip, one I have never heard of before:thumbs up

trippincherri
February 23rd, 2007, 06:05 PM
The first time I heard it I was skeptical, but me being such a curious little housewife :D had to run to the dryer and see.
And sure enough! The water pooled in the lint trap, and after some simple scrubbing ran right through.
I felt like I had made some huge laundry breakthrough lol, ah well simple things amuse me :rolleyes: