Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is There a Support Group for People Like Me?

barkley21
February 23rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
I don't know why, but I feel that if all of us were in the same room together, I should stand up and say: "My name is Viola and I have an obsessive compulsive need to make each of my dog's meals completely balanced". :o
I've been following the 80% meat, 10-15% bone, and 5-10% organs ratio when feeding Barkley, but for the life of me I can't relax and casually balance his diet over time. I tell myself that it is completely fine to give him an all-meat meal and then a bonier meal later ,but every time the food bowl comes out, there I am adding 80% boneless meat, a chicken drumstick or pork riblet for the bone content, and a small hunk of organ meat :laughing:
I can't seem to stop myself! I really love this prey model approach to feeding him and I think that's why I am always trying to frankenstein his meals by putting miscellaneous pieces together to sort of form a complete animal. Someone please stop me before I start hunting for feathers, beeks, and eyeballs :p

Hunter's_owner
February 23rd, 2007, 12:07 PM
Well I don't feed raw, but I know if I did I would feel the same. I have this obsessive need to measure ingredients perfectly and follow directions exactly.
So yeah, I know how you feel:o

Scott_B
February 23rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
Question..do you make sure each of your meals is perfectly balanced with food from all 4 food groups? ;)

Probably not. Not too many of us do.

But hey, if you feel more comfortable feeding that way, by all means continue to do so. Just know its because of your needs, and not the pups :p

There is nothing wrong with it. Eating rabbits, or whole fish are complete meals and would provide all the meat/bone/organs they need. but they don't always eat small prey like that in the wild. Eating a deer for example, they would go for the soft stomach area. they'd eat the organs. Then eat any meaty areas. And finally, when all thats left are meaty bones, they'd consume what they could.

So don't beat yourself up over it. I felt the same when i first started. But with time and talking to others, I'm come a long way :thumbs up

technodoll
February 23rd, 2007, 02:04 PM
i KNOW my dogs eat better than I do, cuz i also do the "balanced" thing pretty much at most meals, LOL! :p but for me.... uuhh.... not so much :o i can eat cold cereal for two days straight, then have just a brocoli dinner, then soup the next day, i often forget to eat protein or veggies, la deee daaaah.... and hey i'm not dead, in fact pretty healthy! :D so i guess the same goes for dogs :goodvibes:

barkley21
February 23rd, 2007, 03:51 PM
I'll admit it, my dog eats better than we do as well TD :o
I wish I would balance my meals as well as I balance Barkley's, although I don't eat too badly.
Maybe with time I'll get a little more relaxed with his feeding, like you did Scott.
Oh, and some good news! Remember how Barkley only recently started eating beef and everything was going well? Well, now he's eating pork too and we've yet to have any problems. Here I thought he was allergic to things but I guess not! Whatever the problems were that he had before seem to have gone away and he can eat pretty much anything now :thumbs up

Scott_B
February 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM
Excellent news :thumbs up

Sometimes it just takes some time.