Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What does your cat like to play with?

RolandsMom
February 23rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Roland is bored i think. As i am not being allowed to get him a playmate i was wondering if anyone has any ideas to keep him entertained. Right now hes taking his boredom out on me and im all scratched up as a result. He loves the plastic springs and paper bags but is now bored of the mice and every other toy i have for him, and it doesnt take him long to get bored of the springs and paper either. Help! i need to stop being his toy of choice!

Frenchy
February 23rd, 2007, 12:22 PM
Monsieur le chat likes to play with Bailey's tail ! :laughing: He tried with Nelly's tail yesterday but not enough fur so he went back to Bailey.

~michelle~
February 23rd, 2007, 12:57 PM
my cats enjoy playing with the dogs tails and the kittens well they like anything that moves (other kittens , the cats, dogs, my feet)
they also enjoy eating paper..... my cats have never really been much for cat toys... although moe had a chase the laser pointer faze.... maybe i'll get him one again. laser pointers are fun because the cat can never catch it and cats are determined to get it so it makes them nive and tired.....

RolandsMom
February 23rd, 2007, 01:06 PM
AAHH! the lazer! good idea! i will give it a try!

~michelle~
February 23rd, 2007, 01:10 PM
yes the laser not only good work out for your cat, its immensly amusing for you to watch:laughing:

SARAH
February 23rd, 2007, 04:08 PM
Misti is running circles around Sheba and Dani, slapping them and "grooming" their backs as they walk past her perch on the sofa arm rest. If she can get hold of an ear or a tail, she's in heaven!

But she's not limited to the dogs, or she'd get bored. She plays hockey with every water-bottle cap she can lay her paws on - whether the bottle in question is empty yet or not. I have no idea how many of those caps are under every peice of furniture she can't get under to retrieve them.

We have no laser, but the sun shining on my watch and reflecting on the wall earlier had her jumping all over trying to catch it. Since I was working and not playing with her, the light went all over the place with no plan or meaning, so she had no idea where it would turn up next.

Paper coming out of the printer, now there's a mystery for a young cat. And the paper basket ... all those scrunched up pieces of paper she can use for her amusement!

Then comes the evening, we turn in, and she ... attacks the toes under the covers, pouncing on them like she would a mouse. Or when I straighten the bed in the mornings, she "helps" me (un)straighten.

Water is another source of wonder and amusement for Misti. Cats aren't supposed to like water!!!! She comes running the minute she hears water run somewhere - water fountain, shower, sink, toilet - if there's water, there's Misti. She climbes into the sink with the water running on her head and doesn't care at all, slaps the water streaming out of the tap, but she's so far stopped short of joining me under the shower. So far!

Her scratch-cone is toppled over more often than not, because she rams into it when she runs on the wooden floors and fails to stop in time.

And we are doubled over laughing at her.

The dogs smetimes just sit on their back sides, watchin her. Their eyes seem to say "what the h@#!?" and they look so comical we crack up again.

Dani will nudge Misti with her nose if she thinks her private cat has slept for long enough. The trouble is, if Misti doesn't want to wake up and play, she doesn't! She either totally ignores the nudges, or on rare occasions send Dani a claw on the top of her nose (not the pink, soft end of it, she's not that mean). If she does feel like playing, she's up and boxing Dani in the face from any place just a little higher than the dog. Smart little thing, but then ... she IS a cat after all!

I don't think I've ever met a bored cat. They always find something to do - not always what you would prefer them to do, but they will do something!

Quins-mum
February 23rd, 2007, 04:13 PM
I agree... the laser is good! But you cant shine it in their eyes, as they can go blind

heidiho
February 23rd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Boxes and plastic bags are by far her favorite things

RolandsMom
February 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
LOL! i bought Roland a laser. what a laugh! he loves it! i feel a bit bad though cause he can never catch it but it certainly keeps him running!!!:laughing:

~michelle~
February 23rd, 2007, 07:45 PM
hahah glad you are enjoying the laser!!!!:crazy:

Kristin7
February 23rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Usually if I buy something at a pet store that is supposed to be a cat toy, mine don't care much for it. They seem to prefer every day things, like bags, cardboard boxes, crinkled paper, etc. However, a few things have went over very well. One is this kind of toy (see link), they are like glow in the dark cotton balls, sometimes scented w/ catnip:
http://www.cattoys.com/glowpoms.html One of my cats love these so much, she has been known to skip dinner just to play with them and will toss them around for hours. And she LIVES for food.

Another toy would be the kind like a fishing pole, a stick w/ string and usually come w/ a toy at the end, with feathers or something. Those are nice because you can just kind of relax in a chair, and the cats go nuts chasing the string around.

The only other toy they seem to like are those little 'real' fur mice things, but sometimes they seem to be eating them so not sure how safe they are (the 'tails' dont' last long).

~michelle~
February 23rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
isnt it always the way cats are like the little kid on christmas trow the toy aside and play with the box... Moe loves when i go on shoppinf sprees plastic bag heaven..... but only when hes being watched no plastic bags by himself

Quins-mum
February 23rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
lol.... yep, as Sara mentioned scruched up paper works a treat.
Lexi also grabs the bit of toilet paper that hangs from the roll when its on the holder and pulls it so all the toilet paper ends up on the loo floor.

heidiho
February 23rd, 2007, 08:42 PM
How could i forget she does love the pole w/feathers on the end,it is the lazy mans toy,but she does go nuts w/that.

RolandsMom
February 23rd, 2007, 09:53 PM
Roland likes the rod with the long thing too but gets bored before too long with that. i also bought him some squeaky mice today. they are a little big i think but he does love it when i sqeak it then hide it under a pillow. he LOVES empty storage containers (the big hard plastic ones) but hes not much into anything that is ball like (with the exception of the ping pongs when we are playing of course!) man and that laser. unbelievable! he can chase that thing endlessly!!!!!!!!! lol lots of entertainment for mom and dad too and hopefully i can wear him out before bed time so he will stop waking me up at 5:43 every morning. (6:30 i could probably deal with but thats a little too early!)
thanks for all the ideas so far!

marsupial mama
February 27th, 2007, 02:23 PM
ping pong balls are usually good for a laugh. A friend bought a box of cat toy for our kitty and she just loved the little red ball in there. Then I bought some glow-in-the-dark ones that looked like pingpong balls but are too heavy. I'll try the dollar store next time :rolleyes:

I just about freaked the first time she ate the tail off one of those mouse things. I never thought an 8 week old kit could GROWL like that when I tried to get it off her! :yell: And she has devoured another such toy since, so they are carefully rationed and strictly supervised around here...

And she keeps attacking her tail when it comes into her line of vision. That will amuse her for a while.

And DD's stuffed cat toy got rather severely attacked a few times as well.

Pens are popular cat toys in our house. And the local newspaper. Especially when I am reading it. :eek:

Kristin7
February 27th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Too funny marsupial mama! I am picturing an 8 wk old growling ferocious kitten :laughing: One of mine did that when i first brought home the fishing pole thing with the feathered toy at the end. She grabbed it and ran around the house w/ it growling. I had to take it away from her for a few weeks!

Just remembered another 'toy' many cats like: the ring from a gallon of milk container (the plastic part keeping the top on and sealed until you open it).

RolandsMom
February 28th, 2007, 10:12 AM
hehe. yea Roland likes to eat those...:p he loves the water dripping from the bathroom tap too that i turn on a bit for him whenever i go in there. he doesnt even care if it goes up his nose!! lol

marsupial mama
February 28th, 2007, 10:15 AM
the ring from a gallon of milk container

we get milk in bags around here. :rolleyes: But I think I can find an excuse to buy one of those large thingies of orange juice... should be fun to see what antics that leads too.

DD took a cat toy to school for show and tell today. I should be glad she didn;t ask to take the cat!!

CyberKitten
February 28th, 2007, 01:49 PM
My YY has a fetish for those ties you get at the grocery store or with garbage bags. Alas of course they are simply metal strips covered in paper and dangerous so I have to le her play with them while I am watching. My cats have the best toys money can buy but their favourites are of course the simple things like ties, bottle caps, lasers (from the dollar store), what are those things called from the craft section of the dollar store - pipe something, (I take out the metal there and they love them) :rolleyes:

I bought that $45 electronic mouse but it is no contest between it and all the stuff that's cheap. Cats!!! lol

They also like playing with each other - they can entertain one another and me and my bf for hours on end, lol

Also, you can dl screensavers from Meowmix.com (Not that my kitties eat that stuff) but they will sit in front of the monitor and watch them. Also, I pop in videos sans sound - usually with birds et al - and they will watch those as well. Not fopr long periods but it does interest them.

I think the best playmate for your cat besides other cats is you! (It is always best to have a hand on the other end of a toy. <g>