Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs in the bed?

Loves Labs
February 23rd, 2007, 08:47 AM
I was wondering how many people let their dogs sleep in their bed every night?

I know it is an issue of much debate with NON-dog people - but I was wondering how the dog-people feel about it.

I have always been a big fan of dogs in the bed. As a pup, Hayden used to sleep up on my pillow and would wrap himself around my head. Now that he is ~70lbs - the pillow thing isn't really working for me so he nestles in between us with his head on the pillow. Now, as the fur-family grows, I am wondering if we should allow dog #2 in the bed as well. It may be a little crowded :eek:
But I hate for her to feel left out....

What does everyone else do?? :dog:

breeze
February 23rd, 2007, 09:26 AM
for me i would love to let bree on the bed but she is getting big now and we have a water bed sooo i don't think it would be a good idea for us, she sleeps on the floor next to me on a comforter and she seems to be very happy. my son on the other hand wants her to sleep in his room on his bed but when i aloud this bree took over the bed and HE SLEPT ON THE FLOOR sorry but i can't let that happen, so my dogs sleep on the floor on a very nice warm comforter.

BusterBoo
February 23rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
I have two (small) dogs and they sleep on the bed all the time! Harley sleeps on my side of the bed, near the edge and Buster sleeps between hubby and me. Is it crowded???? YUP!!!! But I wouldn't have it any other way.

However......neither of my dogs shed so I don't have a problem with that. If they did shed, they would sleep on the floor. :crazy:

Dogastrophe
February 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
So long as they leave room for the wife and me they can sleep on the bed all night long.

Hunter's_owner
February 23rd, 2007, 09:50 AM
Hunter sleeps on the bed for a while, but usually goes to the floor throughout the night. If my man is the first to get up in the mornings, and I can sleep late, Hunter will get back up and on the pillow next to me:cloud9:
Cassie will sleep on the bed, under the covers all night long, but we usually put her in her crate, and leave the door open, she stays in there, but if she wants to come out she can.

Dracko
February 23rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
Dracko (GSD) and the 3 cats sleep on the bed with me. :cloud9:

Kristin7
February 23rd, 2007, 11:15 AM
I don't, but my dog doesn't seem to want to. He is happy on the floor (or on his bed). My last dog liked it, but she would pee in her sleep so I couldn't let her (not fun waking up in a puddle!). My two cats sleep with me, one near my head and often taking over my pillow and the other one down by my legs and often under the covers.

Spirit
February 23rd, 2007, 11:56 AM
Now, as the fur-family grows, I am wondering if we should allow dog #2 in the bed as well. It may be a little crowded :eek:
But I hate for her to feel left out....

Allowing one dog on your bed and not the other, sends a signal saying that the dog in the bed has a higher pack status than the one on the floor. There is nothing wrong with allowing dogs to sleep on your bed, so long as they are invited on and told when to get off (this is your bed, your rules). But allowing one and not the other is just asking for trouble.

What does everyone else do??

My dog (14 months) has been spoiled rotten since the day he was born. There's even a picture of him so many days old, sleeping high up in his water bowl (his throne, and usual sleeping spot), with all the other 8 puppies sleeping (at the lower level) around him and the bowl. He was the smallest of the litter, and basically given anything he wanted until the day I brought him home. He was even carried around inside the breeders shirt. He fussed, and got picked up, fed, played with... whatever he wanted, he got. He's perfectly well behaved when it's just the two of us (even at a dog park), but as soon as he gets away with something (weather it be here, or at someone elses house), he will immediately push to see what else he can get away with (or try get away with it again).

(To answer your question) For this reason only, I don't let my dog sleep with me throughout the night, but I will invite him up at night or in the morning for a pre or post sleep cuddle. This seems to work for us. :lovestruck:

Frenchy
February 23rd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Sam sleeps on the bed, Bailey sometimes....now Monsieur le chat does it too. They all have beds if they don't want to come up on mine but I rather have them around me, it's warmer that way :cloud9:

mummummum
February 23rd, 2007, 12:43 PM
Kingsize waterbed (yes Breeze it's possible !:rolleyes: ) with dogs on the bed and I squeeze in where possible .

Maxine
February 23rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
Lex and Jamal are both over a 100 pounds, and my bf and I have a double size bed (not a queen)
SO, no, they can't sleep in bed if me and my bf are sleeping together (we are neighboors, but always at each other's place!!:lovestruck: ) They will sleep on the floor or on the big chair in the bedroom. But lucky them, the bf leave bed at 6h30am and obvioulsy then I'm stuck between two huge dogs in bed :D :cloud9:

breeze
February 23rd, 2007, 12:50 PM
Kingsize waterbed (yes Breeze it's possible !:rolleyes: ) with dogs on the bed and I squeeze in where possible .

are you not scared that they will punchture a hole?? and what about the movment bree moves around sooo much it makes me uncomfortable (I only have a queen size)

~michelle~
February 23rd, 2007, 12:59 PM
brax and moe will sleep on the bed.... aiden will sqeeze himself under the bed (weird eh?), and logan comes up a bit at night and to say good morning but usually sleeps on the ground beside the bed. chris and i have a really small bed so we let them up but they arent too comfy. if one of us isnt home sometimes more of the dogs will sleep on the bed

julielenore
February 23rd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Cootie used to sleep with us on the bed, but she has dominance issues and started peeing on the bed, so now the bed is off limits. She now sleeps on the floor beside the bed.

mummummum
February 23rd, 2007, 06:12 PM
are you not scared that they will punchture a hole?? and what about the movment bree moves around sooo much it makes me uncomfortable (I only have a queen size)

Well, the grrrl's are seven and it hasn't happened yet ! I do double-sheet the bed though. But I agree with you on the motion. I have the "old-school" type of bladder/mattress which is I guess, semi-motionless ~ if anyone is panting heavily it's like being in rocker. If I ever replace it, I'm going with the new "mattress" style which is motionless.

Boo Boo
February 23rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
I would not have it any other way. What is good for one must be good for all. What size bed do you have? Maybe an upgrade in size is in order.

tarasmom
February 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Yep Tara sleeps in the bed!
The first night we had her I brought her to our bed( she was soooo tiny I couldnt stand the thought of her alone) and she peed the bed so into the pen she went. She wasnt allowed in the bed until fully trained, now its every night. As soon as I say" Tara bed-time, come get your jammies on, she's at the bedroom door. We usually go up early, and I watch a movie. I leave the door open and play sock catch with her ( I throw across the hallway) this tires her out good. I love being woken up to puppy kisses in the morning.

OntarioGreys
February 23rd, 2007, 06:46 PM
I have 4 dogs so too many to allow on the bed, Nikki is too restless and Sunny is space aggressive so they have beds on the floor next to my bed and Maya and Winnie are allowed up, Winnie sometimes chooses to sleep on a dog bed and Maya in the bedhog love to sleep on her side all stretched out, so sometimes need a bit of a push to move over so as to share space :p

Spirit
February 23rd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Sorry, OG. I thought it was you who bought a cali. king size bed for the dogs. Maybe it was Tenderfoot?

LOL!! Funny.

Quins-mum
February 23rd, 2007, 07:26 PM
My Rotti Cas used to sleep on the bed with me, my partner and Lexie(the cat). But my partner didnt like idea, never mind... Cas was there before him.

Quin (lab) sleeps on the bed when Im not home, but at night prefers to move from his bed, to the couch, to the chair, and finally when its time to get mum up, he jumps into bed with me.

Dogs on the bed is cool.... as long as theres no pillow talk!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

rainbow
February 23rd, 2007, 07:39 PM
My lab sleeps on the bed stretched out with his head on the pillow if hubby isn't in the bed. My husky prefers to sleep on the floor. He will come up on the bed in the morning if I try to sleep in. Usually he starts licking me or play fights with the lab to make sure I get up. Occassionally he will lie down and wait.

Allowing one dog on your bed and not the other, sends a signal saying that the dog in the bed has a higher pack status than the one on the floor. There is nothing wrong with allowing dogs to sleep on your bed, so long as they are invited on and told when to get off (this is your bed, your rules). But allowing one and not the other is just asking for trouble.

This isn't the case in my house. Chase (the lab) sleeps on the bed and Logan (the husky) is the alpha and sleeps on the floor and doen'st have a problem with it. :shrug:

Byrd
February 23rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
Oh yeah, we cuddle up in bed every night. She keeps my back warm. :lovestruck: She comes and goes, basically sleeps wherever she wants, but she always starts the night on the bed, and she's there when I wake up. :cloud9:

As for bed size, I have a double, it's perfect for the two of us.

breeze
February 23rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Well, the grrrl's are seven and it hasn't happened yet ! I do double-sheet the bed though. But I agree with you on the motion. I have the "old-school" type of bladder/mattress which is I guess, semi-motionless ~ if anyone is panting heavily it's like being in rocker. If I ever replace it, I'm going with the new "mattress" style which is motionless.

I do have the motionless the new version and with a 50lbs dog it still rocks my world, I am just paranod. we will see when my husband go out of town she just might end up accenditaly on purpose climb up on the bed :rolleyes:

JanM
February 23rd, 2007, 08:37 PM
Bobby and Amber used to sleep on my bed but I had to put a stop to it. Bobby (bless his heart) would push me until I was hanging over the edge - it got so I couldn't move and it's pretty hard to move 75 lbs of dead weight to give me more room! He just loves to stretch and push. I wasn't getting much sleep at all so I got them both beds which are right by mine. Amber didn't seem too fussy about being on my bed - she likes her freedom to move and roll and lie on her back which she didn't have on my bed. They both love their new beds but I do miss snuggling up to them!

the gang
February 23rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
I WOULD NOT HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY ME HUBBY AND 5 MIN PINS IN A QUEEN SIZE ,SOMETIMES I CAN HARDELY MOVE ,:goodvibes: LOL BRENDA AND THE 5 PINS oops sorry big caps

Frenchy
February 23rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
I rest my case ;)

JanM
February 23rd, 2007, 10:13 PM
Frenchy - where do you fit in :laughing: That is so cool!

Frenchy
February 23rd, 2007, 10:20 PM
Frenchy - where do you fit in :laughing: That is so cool!

I sleep on the couch :laughing: the 2 in the front are not here anymore :sad: , they were fosters who have been adopted since. So it's only me , the 2 boys and a foster Great Dane (who is kind of small, underweight,came from a puppy mill) she sleeps on a doggy bed, Bailey too but will sometimes come on the bed in the morning, I'm alone on the bed with Sam and Monsieur le chat. But Nelly (great dane) will come on the bed when it's not taken ;

hazelrunpack
February 23rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Sorry, OG. I thought it was you who bought a cali. king size bed for the dogs. Maybe it was Tenderfoot?

LOL!! Funny.

Coulda been me :o

At our house the issue is not where the dogs sleep, but whether or not we have enough room to squeeze in. :laughing:

I guess there's no doubt which side of this debate we come down on... :D

Frenchy
February 23rd, 2007, 11:09 PM
Hazel, I love your bed :cloud9: :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
February 23rd, 2007, 11:11 PM
Hazel, I love your bed :cloud9: :lovestruck:

he he he Back when I could find it, I loved it too! :laughing:

Frenchy
February 23rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
lol :laughing: and I know you wouldn't have it any other way ! Great way to practice safe sex :eek: can't get to hubby !

sissani
February 23rd, 2007, 11:48 PM
One dog sleeps on either side and the cat on my head. I wouldnt have it any other way! :cloud9:

TeriM
February 24th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Dogs are allowed on the bed when it is not occupied or when only one of us is in bed. If both hubby and I are in bed then dogs must sleep on their very comfy beds but get to come up for a morning cuddle. Hubby goes to bed early and gets up early and I am a late night/late morning person so they actually sleep onthe bed with us individually a lot.

Lucy used to sleep a lot with us but I was having really crappy sleeps so finally laid down the law. Riley has just started having bed priviledges (Lucy wouldn't let him up before :o ) and he LOVES the bed so I've definately had to work on the "off" issue when told but he has got it now :thumbs up .

One cat always sleeps with me and the other cat goes in cycles where she sleeps with me and then doesn't (usually pouts after her and the other cat have a scrap on the bed with me in the middle and I chase them both off :o ).

Peepmouse
February 24th, 2007, 02:13 AM
When we were a one dog family, our Springer Samantha would sleep with us most of the time. She loved to sleep under the covers by my hubby's feet.

Pepper our first rescue doesn't like to sleep on the bed, except when noone is on it, or when there's a thunder storm. Then she joins us, and moves up as high as she can!:laughing:

Cinder sleeps with us every night. She waits until I get into bed, then will curl up in behind my legs. When hubby goes to work in the morning, Cinder moves up higher on the bed to be closer to me.:laughing:

Dobb
February 24th, 2007, 04:46 AM
We have two shih zus,,one sleeps on my pillow with front legs on one side of my head and back legs on the other. The other one will sometimes sleep between us on the pillows, but usually sleeps halfway down the bed between us.
Dobb

otter
February 26th, 2007, 12:42 AM
When I first adopted my Chloe I could not do anything to convince her to get on the bed - she slept on a pillow on the floor and wouldn't have it any other way. One night we were visiting family and she just jumped in bed with me, I never quite figured out why she suddenly wanted in bed but it was so nice having a warm fuzzy in bed with me when I was away from home :goodvibes: . From then on she would "ask" occasionally to climb into bed - usually by planting her head on the side of the bed and refusing to move.
I asked around and most doggy folks said I just had to keep it so that she would only go on the bed if I said "OK". I guess that maintained some kind of authority. :pawprint:

AliSam
February 26th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Dogs are allowed on the bed when it is not occupied or when only one of us is in bed. If both hubby and I are in bed then dogs must sleep on their very comfy beds but get to come up for a morning cuddle. Hubby goes to bed early and gets up early and I am a late night/late morning person so they actually sleep onthe bed with us individually a lot.

We are the same. Because my hubby gets up earlier than me, he goes to bed first. Sam joins him until I come in then he has to go to his own bed in the corner. There just isn't enough room for all of us. Sometimes he leaves our room altogether and sleeps on the guest bed. When hubby gets up, Sam jumps in and sleeps with me under the covers until I get up. Josie sometimes sleeps on the bed with us (or on top of us), but not very often.

athenamor
February 26th, 2007, 04:08 PM
while my husband was in afghanistan I let Bourbon sleep in the bed with me. But with David home, he doesnt like the shedding my pup does. He has a thick coat, and David swears he feels the hair in his throat. He said if he was a smaller shorter haired pup wouldn't be an issue.