Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Singing cat??

jessi76
February 22nd, 2007, 02:48 PM
ok, I'm just about ready to enter my cat Nala in "Kitty Idol".... if only there was such a thing.

she sings! and she's been singing alot lately. just between me and all of you reading this... she's not a very good singer. but shhhhh, don't tell her I said that.

she only does it when she's alone, or when she "thinks" she's alone. the minute she sees anyone watching, she stops, wiggles on over, rubs up on you, flops over, and just does cute kitty things.

at first, I thought maybe she's lonely. but we have another cat, and a dog, and us, and we ALL pay ALOT of attention to her daily (both cats and dog all interact daily, even play and snuggle). we give her a little extra quality time anyways, just incase she was feeling lonely.

then, I thought maybe she's not feeling well... she's eating normal, playing, being affectionate, totally normal litterbox habits, normal drinking, etc... all normal.

then, I thought, maybe she's hungry. nope... food dish has food in it. plus she gets a daily dose of her yummy wet food.

she likes to sing in particular at 5:30am, then at 6am, then at 6:30am.... I'm sure she sings all day while we're gone at work, then again in the evening around 7-9pm sparatically, but only if we are NOT IN SIGHT. otherwise, she talks to us and is just her goofy self.

she's spayed, she's aprox 8-9 yrs old, 100% healthy. This has been going on for about 2 mths. she's done it before, a long time ago, but only briefly, it was not an everyday occurance, like it is now.

does anyone else have a singing cat? I should really try to get it on video, you guys would totally crack up. but the second she senses i'm near, she stops!

Kristin7
February 22nd, 2007, 06:33 PM
No singing cat here... but I am curious, what does it sound like? Is it like a meow or something else? Is that a Basenji in your avatar? Do they 'sing'? Maybe she is trying to imitate your dog?

jessi76
February 23rd, 2007, 08:49 AM
omg, my cat's a weirdo? no one else has a singing cat? ummm, it's a horrible sound, I couldn't even attempt to type it out. it's sort of a moan, but not. sounds moan-ish, but she does it in different pitches, about 4-5 times in a row, then stops. only when she's alone though - I hear from the other room and I yell to her "nala, is that a new song?" then she comes in to see me and talks to me. it's quite hysterical actually.

yes, that is my dog Tucker, a basenji-x in my pic. they don't really sing, more like a barrooooooooo sort of yodel. and since he's a mix, he barks and barrooo's.

if i can sneak up on her and get the singing on video, i'll post it.

chico2
February 23rd, 2007, 08:58 AM
Jessi,if my other 2 cats are sleeping and everything is nice and quiet,my Chico will go from room to room"singing"in a totally different tone from his regular meow:cat:
It's cute but also a pain in the butt,he does it to wake up Rocky so they can chase each other,then Vinnie joins in and it's definetly not quiet anymore:laughing:

huskypup
February 24th, 2007, 03:22 AM
We have a singing cat, she is a bermese cross with something, her real name is Suzie woo, but she tends to be called the Mogwie (as from the film the Gremlins) as that is what she sounds like, usually at 3 in the morning when she sitting on top of you or on the dressing table.

She tends to do it to get your attention, and if you ignore she will throw one of her toys at you while your head is under the pillow.

None of the other three cats sing.

Prin
February 24th, 2007, 11:54 AM
she only does it when she's alone, or when she "thinks" she's alone. That's adorable!!! :cloud9: :lovestruck:

rainbow
February 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I've had lots of cats and none of them have ever sang. I would Love to hear it though if any of you can get it on video. :)

chico2
February 25th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Rainbow,well,whether it's singing or complaining,it's really up to the owners discretion,I like to call it singing:D

Catzig
February 25th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Every morning one of my Siamese, Oscar, goes upstairs, sits in the middle of the bathroom and sings. I swear he likes the sound of himself better there...hmmm, perhaps it's like singing in the shower where we all sound better :D

rainbow
February 25th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Rainbow,well,whether it's singing or complaining,it's really up to the owners discretion,I like to call it singing:D

Oh, they definitely complain alot.....if their food bowl is empty :D or if they insist they want to go outside. :frustrated: