Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any Opinions On Wysong Synorgon?

luckypenny
February 22nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
I was considering switching food for our two dogs. Penny is now on MediCal Development and Lucky on MediCal Maintenance. Any opinions about Wysong? Thanks.

Scott_B
February 22nd, 2007, 01:59 PM
Congrats on getting them off medicrap :thumbs up

looking at the ingredients in the Wysong, its not that great.

Actually its been discussed in another thread. The first two ingredients contain water so they fall down the list after cooking. So the main ingredients are rice and flax seeds. Poultry fat is fat from any bird. nasty. You want Chicken fat.

Have you considered Canidae? What other food do you have available to you?

Chicken, Chicken Giblets, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Flax Seeds, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols as a source of vitamin E), Eggs, Plums, Dried Wheat Grass Powder, Dried Barley Grass Powder, Whey, Dried Yogurt, Lecithin, Citric Acid, Sage Extract, Rosemary Extract, Dried Kelp, Fish Oil, Salt, Garlic, Black Pepper, Artichoke, L-Carnitine, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis Fermentation Product, Dried Yeast Culture, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus niger Fermentation Product, Ascorbic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement

rainbow
February 22nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
I agree with Scott.....it is not a very good food. Canidae is a great choice though and the most economical to feed out of all the premium foods. If that is not available where you are then Innova is also a good choice.

gypsy_girl
February 22nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
In terms of cost effectiveness I did a kilocalorie comparison between all the brands I like, and GO Chicken (617 per cup) came out to be the best in terms of $ per day. They were the two foods I liked the best (without getting into the no grain ones) The Canidae ALS is 468 per cup

luckypenny
February 22nd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Just about any food is available here. Canidae is what I had originally chosen but, when I explained one of my dogs' problems to a store owner, she had suggested Wysong Synorgon instead. Lucky came to us with a really severe problem of intestinal parasites. It was so bad that he was 20 lbs underweight (he's now 52 lbs) and had gone partially blind (his eyesight is back to normal now). It took us 6 weeks of treatment before it was finally resolved. However, he's always had a problem with watery stool. Some days it's just soft, other days it's worse. He had done well on MediCal High Fibre but it seemed that alot more came out than went in. Eventually I switched him to the Maintenance but it doesn't seem to agree with him. His vet recommended I switch back to the High Fibre. He explained that Lucky might have scarring along his intestinal walls due to the past severity of the parasites which may be causing his watery stool. I just figured there must be a better food out there for him. Penny will eat anything without any problems so I'll get the Canidae for her. I just don't know what to try with Lucky.

gypsy_girl
February 22nd, 2007, 05:57 PM
You are probably better off feeding a great dog food, and supplementing with a good PRE and probiotic and some fiber. Anything for people is fine for the biotics part. I like FOS or MOS for a prebiotic, and then a mix of things for a probiotic. And for fiber - pumpkin (not the pie filling kind) or apples.
:fingerscr

TeriM
February 22nd, 2007, 05:59 PM
I would give the Canidae a try and possible try adding a bit of canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) to it. The better food will be much easier for him to digest so that should actually help his problem.

rainbow
February 22nd, 2007, 06:40 PM
You could also try adding digestive enzymes to Lucky's food.

luckypenny
February 22nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
OK. Canidae, canned pumpkin (not pie filling), pre and probiotic (found in a health food store, I imagine?), and digestive enzymes. What are digestive enzymes and where would I find it?

Would all this be alright for Penny as well or should I just stick to the Canidae for her?

Thanks so much for the advice, by-the-way. Makes things much easier :) .

rainbow
February 22nd, 2007, 08:31 PM
I would just give Canidae and digestive enzymes to Lucky and just Canidae to Penny.

gypsy_girl
February 22nd, 2007, 10:22 PM
Digestive enzymes are amylase, protease etc. These are what your uses to digest proteins etc. The body normally has them available but some dogs don't have enough for a variety of reasons.
The pre and probiotics increase good bacteria in the digestive tract. This good bacteria helps to keep the mucus layer in good health, and is useful in cases of scarring, as the tissue is less "viable" in those areas. This would be for Lucky. Yes, you can buy it in the health food store for people and just adjust for the size of the dog

luckypenny
February 23rd, 2007, 06:02 PM
Well, they started their new diet today. 20% Canidae for now and Lucky with everything else recommended. Penny vaccuumed it down in record time and Lucky didn't wander away from his bowl once until it was all finished. I can't wait to see the changes in his stool (I can't believe I just said that either :yuck: )!

rainbow
February 23rd, 2007, 06:50 PM
It could take a while before Lucky's poop firms up. How old is he? How much should he weigh? Is he fully matured now?

luckypenny
February 23rd, 2007, 07:08 PM
How old is he?

Good question...I really have no idea. After looking at his teeth, our vet had said anywhere between 1 1/2 and 3. We brought him home in September, 06 and know absolutely nothing about his history other than he must have been abused (broken tail, damaged trachea sp?, and fractures on his spine, not to mention extreme fear and anxiety).

He was 32lbs then and is 52lbs now. He ought to be about 60lbs I guess. He's still quite thin although his coat makes him look larger.

rainbow
February 23rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
So he is pretty much full matured. The reason I asked is because sometimes it takes a while for poops to firm up before the digestive system has fully matured.

Poor guy....sounds like he had a real a**hole for an owner before you rescued him. :sad: Which one is he in your avatar? How is he doing now? :grouphug:

babyrocky1
February 23rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Digestive enzymes are amylase, protease etc. These are what your uses to digest proteins etc. The body normally has them available but some dogs don't have enough for a variety of reasons.
The pre and probiotics increase good bacteria in the digestive tract. This good bacteria helps to keep the mucus layer in good health, and is useful in cases of scarring, as the tissue is less "viable" in those areas. This would be for Lucky. Yes, you can buy it in the health food store for people and just adjust for the size of the dog
Shoppers Drug Mart carries the probiotics as well as the full spectrum digestive enzymes...I get them when they go on SALE!
My guy is on Wysong, but it gives him loose poo, on the other hand he seems really healthy on it, I also cook for him, chicken and rice for his dinner.... wysong for brunch..... If I could find just one dog food that would work for him I would be very happy as all of this stuff is a pain.... He is on Maintenance though, he had no interest in eating the syner...whatever you call it....!

luckypenny
February 23rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Which one is he in your avatar? How is he doing now? :grouphug:

He's our Shiba/Shepherd X, the lighter one. Penny's our black Lab. How's he doing? Physically, much better than when he first came home with us (we thought he wasn't going to make it through that first week) with the exception of his inconsistent stools. We do have to work hard and consistently with him on other issues however. He has severe separation anxiety and we have had him on Clomicalm for the past 3 months. He had dug up ceramic floor tiles, removed door frames, ripped and tore down curtains/blinds, and he once tried to dig a hole in our mattress. Our neighbours down the street told us they had heard him howling the whole time I was gone from the house. I had to stop working full-time and only work weekends since. He used to bare his teeth at me all the time but we learned that it was not in aggression but that it was a submissive 'smile'. It took him 1 1/2 months to enter the kitchen, 3 months before he went downstairs, and he still refuses to enter the bathrooms no matter what yummy treats we offer him. He's also very fearful of strangers but is coming along slowly with re-conditioning and desensitizing exercises. He's not good with young children (especially loud ones), toddlers or babies. He also has an extremely high prey drive.

Sounds like a nightmare, eh? But really, it's not. A little stressful at times but we're dealing with it. He hasn't shown any aggression so everything else I'm committed to working with. Over time, we've crate-trained him (he loves it now, it's his safe place) and since we got Penny in December, we can now leave them alone for 3-4 hours at a time. Because she shows no fear, he's a wee bit more comfortable around strangers, just a bit skittish. He is improving, albeit slowly. My worries at this point are his high prey drive (he's always on 'alert' when we leave the house) and that he doesn't like toddlers/babbies. We never leave him unsupervised when we have guests or when he's in the yard. Another worry is that Penny has recently taken to guarding both him and me which is kind of understandable. I'm sure she can sense his fear when we come across strangers. She's very easy to train though and I try to take them separately for their walks so she can meet people and know that they are safe.

Boy, what a long answer to a simple question :o Felt good to write about it though. Most of our family and friends think I'm nuts for the time and energy spent on Lucky but I wouldn't have it any other way. He's home, he's safe, he's loved, he's happy with us and I'm willing to do pretty much anything to help him overcome his 'issues'.

Prin
February 23rd, 2007, 10:55 PM
I hope they keep doing well on the Canidae... If that doesn't work, Evo (Innova) or Barking at the Moon (solid gold) might be good to firm up the stool...

:fingerscr

:grouphug: they're both lucky to have you.:)

rainbow
February 23rd, 2007, 11:31 PM
He is so lucky to have found you.....:angel: It doesn't matter what your family/friends think. I've been there too....right now, in fact. No wonder I like my furkids better. ;) Hugs for you and Lucky. :grouphug:

technodoll
February 23rd, 2007, 11:54 PM
wow i don't know how you do it, i would have given up a long time ago (no patience) :o both dogs are VERY lucky to have you! :grouphug: :highfive: :goodvibes:

luckypenny
February 25th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Lucky and Penny have been eating the Canidae for three days now (plus pre-probiotics & digestive enzymes for Lucky). I was not expecting a change yet but when I came home from work this evening and took them out after supper, they had small, formed and...SOLID poops!!! The first time ever for Lucky since we brought him home!!! I am soooooooo excited. My husband and kids thought I was a little :crazy: for making such a big deal out of doggy dung :o .

I have a question concerning the amounts to feed Lucky though. On the bag, it says 2-3 cups per day for dogs weighing 50-75 lbs. Lucky is about 52 lbs but needs to put on at least another 8 lbs. Question #1: Seeing he's doing so well so far with the Canidae (50% + 50% MediCal), can I switch over to the Canidae sooner than the recommended 10-14 days? #2: Because I would like to see him put on some more weight, how many cups of Canidae should I give him per day? He gets a minimum 2 hours of high activity every day (running at his pace) and another minimum 1 hour walk. Any ideas?

Oh, and I want to thank everyone for your advice. It's really appreciated.