Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ice cream bad for dog?

Soroush
February 22nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Hello all you wonderful folks,

I haven't been around for a long while. I've missed this place very much.

Lucy is doing fine and at 13 months, she's now pretty much the perfect companion I always wanted. This wouldn't have been possible without the great help I received from this fantastic community.

All the hard work and patience has finally paid off. She's now the queen of our life and acts like one at all times.

Lucy has developed this amazing love for ice-cream and the chocolate dressing on it! Everytime I grab one from the freezer she starts singing, running around and doing every trick she knows just to get a piece!

My question is: Should I give in or not?

with much love,

Soroush

Hunter's_owner
February 22nd, 2007, 10:48 AM
I am not sure about the ice cream, but I know that chocolate is bad for them:shrug:

Frenchy
February 22nd, 2007, 11:25 AM
I did gave Daisy some 2-3 times (not the chocolate one) only to find out it gave her UTI every time so I stopped. :shrug:

jessi76
February 22nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
there is ice cream made specifically FOR dogs. Frosty Paws. My grocery store actually carries it in the frozen section.

http://www.frostypawstreats.com/FrostyPaws/

allisonl_1
February 22nd, 2007, 03:48 PM
Ice cream is probably not the greatest thing for a dog, but all-in-all, it really depends on the dog. I had a dog with a steel trap for a stomach. He once ate a shoe, whole! It came out the other end whole, that's how I knew he did it. He also loved ice cream.... I wouldn't recommend the chocolate variety though, because it really can be a poison to a dog. So, maybe a little ice cream every once and a while wouldn't be so bad. I am sure your pup would agree with me!!;) . I can only go on experience though......

jawert1
February 22nd, 2007, 05:18 PM
My Shepherd X Peaches can tolerate only plain vanilla ice cream, and chocolate is a no-no almost entirely. Simon however, seems to prefer lemon sherbet for some reason, but won't eat ice cream. Depends on the dog, I would definitely not give in on the chocolate topping part but a spoonful of plain vanilla probably won't hurt too much :)

OntarioGreys
February 22nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Okay just in small amounts once in a while as long as the dog is not lactose intolerant, and chocolate can be toxic to dogs

jesse's mommy
February 22nd, 2007, 05:40 PM
Yep, Jesse is lactose intolerant. Pretty much instant cannon butt. :frustrated:

Peepmouse
February 22nd, 2007, 05:59 PM
My old Springer Spaniel, Samantha :rip:, used to LOVE:lovestruck: ice-cream! When we'd go to Dairy Queen or some other ice cream place, we would get a small dish of soft ice-cream for her, and she would go at it like crazy! On the other hand, Pepper, our Blue heeler/Border collie x likes ice-cream as well, but her stomach can't tolerate the extreme cold, so she ends up puking it all back up. What we do is give her the last little bit in the dish that's already melted and not so cold anymore, so she at least gets a little taste of it. We do the same with Cinder, our Dachshund/Beagle?? x as well, that way we don't have to worry about the puking...:)

rainbow
February 22nd, 2007, 06:05 PM
Okay just in small amounts once in a while as long as the dog is not lactose intolerant, and chocolate can be toxic to dogs

I agree with OG and would only give it periodically in small amounts.

H.P.
February 22nd, 2007, 06:34 PM
Ice cream was the first people food that Sydney ever had. My sister works an all natural ice cream booth at the local fairs, and as soon as she saw me with with my tiny 5 wk old puppy, she came running out with a spoon full of vanilla. They actually started selling a doggy size ice cream (1 scoop) with a milk bone stuck in it, because so many people mentioned that they were getting it for their dogs. It is not something I would do much, because of the high sugar content, and I agree with staying away from the chocolate.

Frenchy
February 22nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Yep, Jesse is lactose intolerant. Pretty much instant cannon butt. :frustrated:

Explosive diarea http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif

Dogastrophe
February 22nd, 2007, 07:46 PM
We give our two small quantities of ice cream (less than a spoonful each) as a treat if we are having some. They love it.

When Monty was with us he would be crashed on his futon in the upstairs bedroom and hear the top coming off a tub of ice cream. We'd barely get it to the counter and he'd be right beside us waiting for some (although he never seemed to hear us when we called for him ... we'd always say that he didn't have a hearing problem, just a listening problem). He loved his spoonful of vanilla.

TeriM
February 22nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
Lucy always gets to lick out the ice cream bowl. If we have company and there is any ice cream involved then she moves methodically from person to person and stalks them until she gets to lick out every bowl :o .

mummummum
February 23rd, 2007, 11:01 AM
Soroush ~ welcome back !!! But what's with the post and NO pix of Lucy ??? <insert Gasp! smile face here>.

My gang is crazy for icecream as well. I don't eat it often but when I do~oooo I want it all to myself... So what I do now is freeze plain yoghurt (organic~ no aspartame, no sugar etc.) ~ and they go just as bananas as if it was icecream.

Spirit
February 23rd, 2007, 11:06 AM
I agree with OG.

I had a dog with a steel trap for a stomach. He once ate a shoe, whole! It came out the other end whole, that's how I knew he did it.

What the crap kind of dog do you have??? Even baby shoes are big...