Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cost of spay/neuter in your area

julielenore
February 22nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
We have a mobile vet who comes to us to do checkups and shots, but she does not spay or neuter, so we will have to go elsewhere. What are the costs of spaying and neutering in your area? I have two toy sized dogs (shih tzu male, pom/poodle female) I live in southwestern Ontario.

Winston
February 22nd, 2007, 10:18 AM
I dont know for sure what the price is for a dog but in Simcoe you can go to the Queensway Animal Hospital and a neuter for a cat is only $74.00

Cindy

marsupial mama
February 22nd, 2007, 10:21 AM
In the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) it looks like it is anything from $200 and up. Way up. The first vet I spoke to wanted about $400! :yell: That's for spaying a female cat before she has gone into heat at all. Obviosuly it's cheaper for neutering a tom.

I really dislike driving or else I would take a long trip. Then again the gas prices would probably mean it would end up costing the same as getting it done close to home. :shrug:

The "optional extras" are an issue too. There's a whole 'nother thread talking about that...

julielenore
February 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
I dont know for sure what the price is for a dog but in Simcoe you can go to the Queensway Animal Hospital and a neuter for a cat is only $74.00

Cindy
Wow that is cheap!!
I wish that you could get subsidised spays/neuter here like in the US. It wouuld help with the overpopulation/stray problem.

Lukka'sma
February 22nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
Actually I just got a quote from my vet for a spay. The price is $232.67, and is good for 90 days.
Pre-Anesthetic Blood Panel-$50.00
Pre-Anesthetic Blood Panel and an EKG $74.80
Additional "At Home" pain Relief if needed $30.00

mafiaprincess
February 22nd, 2007, 12:53 PM
Cider's was 240 for a spay and umbilical hernia removal, but that didn't include blood work.

kashtin's kin
February 24th, 2007, 01:21 AM
After having my 'feral [cat] family of five' (mom, dad, 3 kittens) all spayed/neutered this past fall, I'm pretty up on fees in the Simcoe-ish area.
I started off at a clinic that does wildlife rehab, as they were willing to s/n a truly wild feral at short notice. Nice people et al., and I'm grateful I had access to such a clinic (i.e. feral issue), but I wish I'd thought to shop around when it came to the less wild kittens.

After calling about 10 clinics in the Simcoe/Port Dover/Brantford area, I found prices ranging from about $75-$150 for an immature (6 mos. or under) neuter, and about $105-$175 for an immature spay. Those are base quotes, not including extra blood tests. I figure my total s/n cost for the five ferals would have been closer to $2000 than the app. $3000 I ended up spending had I compare prices first. Consumer, beware!

Of course, you also want to feel comfortable with your clinic/vet; I'm sure none of us would choose someone with really low fees, say, operating out of their car! Having said that, it is interesting that the clinic with the lowest prices in my area also has an excellent reputation (Queensway in Simcoe-and it's a regular clinic i.e. not 'subsidized'). I'm in the middle of doing a bit of research regarding s/n charges; I want to compile at least a local list so not everyone [in my locale] is obliged to phone all over.

This list would be strictly financial info presented in an objective light, not a recommendation or critique-y sort of thing. I haven't gotten too far yet, but I do plan to ask each clinic how they decide on fees (since they vary widely); I will also ask the provincial 'vet body'. I have a relative who is a 'super vet' her in Ontario; if she wasn't related I'd sooooo use her as a resource for info-quel drag.

I've ranted about this a bit in previous posts, but in the majority of Canada there is no access to low-cost spay and neuter programs, and this is something that I hope to at least make a small contribution to improving. If anyone else cares to post s/n prices and access in their areas, please do go ahead (or pm me, if you like). I know there have been previous threads along this line, but there are always new people around who haven't seen them.:D

CyberKitten
February 24th, 2007, 02:26 AM
About $100-$150 depending on the vet and other factors. That typically includes antibiotics - and would refuse a vet that did not offer antibiotics post op(that is a critical time, when infection can easily occur since one's pet has come into contact with other animals and her or his immune system is down.) and having the sutures removed later.

This is for cats - not sure what it is for dogs now. I can find out tho but I do not think it is too much more than for a cat! (Tho I paid more for my bunny's surgery than my cat sooo...)

I am basing this on the assumption that one has already brought their kitten/cat into a vet for the first vet visit and has had already had blood work and vaccinations done well before surgery. Most vets will not do the surgery and give vaccinations at the same time - unless it is in clinics for ferals where this might be the only opportunity. Vaccinations also weaken the immune system.

$30.00 for pain relief is ridiculous!! You should ask for a script and have it filled at a pharmacy, something guite legal under all prov vet associations I know of. Of course, there could be some province that is different or are you in the US - sorry, I did not look!! It is not even $30 for some narcotics for humans!! I created my own protocol for pain but that is one of my areas of research. And I know very well the price of pain meds. And cats respond very well to certain meds we humans take tho of course they should NEVER be given ASA or acetaminophen!!!! (Mine certainly did!) Here, pain relief- when provided - is usually part of the cost (ie $100-150) tho one does not require that many pain meds unless some complication occurs.

Rottielover
February 24th, 2007, 06:46 AM
for harley at 100lbs neuter, he was 250 all included, antibiotics, post op, blood work, pain meds, and going back cause he ripped a stich and needed staples, lol

Catzig
April 1st, 2007, 03:46 PM
Is anyone familiar with this organization?

http://www.spaycentral.com/en/

mafiaprincess
April 1st, 2007, 04:11 PM
Cool concept, hadn't seen it before. Too bad it isn't open yet..

Edgewaters
April 1st, 2007, 04:23 PM
Cool concept, hadn't seen it before. Too bad it isn't open yet..

There's a Spay/Neuter Clinic in Ottawa - we had our cats done there about 8 years ago - ran around $55 each if I remember right. No problems, though I can't vouch that a high-volume operation might not cause trauma in some cats or have other problems, although I haven't heard of any in that case. I was a student at the time though and had to live on ramen noodles and kraft dinner for a month to afford it as it was. I think the clinics are a great idea - TO probably needs one really bad. Alot of people were using the one in Ottawa to fix rescues and strays affordably. It is run and funded by the City and you can register pets and get tags from the municipality while you're there, instead of having to make a different trip to City Hall.

Probably high time TO got a similar program. I'm in Kingston now and it's sad with all the strays that there is not a similar program.

mumof4boys
April 1st, 2007, 06:18 PM
The Spay/Neuter Clinic in Ottawa is closed temporarily and won't be opening back up until sometime in June.
One of my son's has 2 black lab pups that need to get spayed this month and they tried to get in there. The price was going to be almost half compared to what they are going to pay now. The price at their vet's for laser surgery is going to be around $340.00 each. Apparently the laser surgery is easier on them and the price difference is $20.00 more than the old way.

Prin
April 2nd, 2007, 02:04 AM
I don't know about that one Catzig, but there's a sort of similar organisation up already (in the Montreal area): http://www.bondspayneuter.com/are.html

i_have_too_many
April 2nd, 2007, 03:13 PM
Funny about the clinic in Simcoe, I have heard from many people who take their pet there because of the low cost. My in-laws just had their cat done, around $300 I think for the whole thing, that is in Dunnville. Some vet clinics work in partnerships and keep the prices the same no matter where you go, I guess this is to cut down on competition. Anyways in my area Dunnville, Smithville and Fisherville all work on the same price list. I have never had a dog fixed so I dont know what that price is. I do know that there is a vet in St. Catherines who does spay/neut for a low price. I had a neighbour who took all their barn cats there to get done, and they would not spend money on anything, so it must have been a good price.

I think if there was a refund available for people then it would certainly encourage them to get the op. done. Most people can not see putting out a couple hundred at once to have something done that they see as unnecessary. If we were not breeding we would certainly get it done, I could not see having an unaltered female in the house if there was no reason, they can really make a mess when they are in season.

deerclan
April 2nd, 2007, 07:01 PM
I had missy 67 lbs staff spayed in Brampton for $238.32 her rabies vaccine was $10.00. Plus several other things that were listed as complimentry including a minor surgery on missy's eyelid.

erykah1310
April 3rd, 2007, 06:13 AM
Spay/Neuters are quite expensive here.
Male Cat- $100 plus taxes.
Male Dog-$140 plus taxes. ( Not bad actually)

Female Cat -$295 plus taxes ( cheapest I have found)
Female dog- Im not overly sure, Kita costed $540 but she had a little abortion as well so that added $80. She was 2 weeks preggo. ( Thanks to Guy and Meiko:frustrated: )
Since Meik technically isnt MY dog he's Guys, its been tough convincing him to get needles for Meik and the neuter was almost a divorce :laughing: But I won;)

Winston
April 3rd, 2007, 06:28 AM
Queensway Animall Hospital in Simcoe Ontario is the cheapest around here! I think it is $70.00 for a neuter & $100.00 for spay..Shots must be upt to date.

Cindy

brianna079
April 3rd, 2007, 08:57 AM
Don't want to hijack, but I would will be looking to neuter in Montreal (or nearby). We have already reserved our Dobbie, and we want to be fully prepared for when the time comes (dont need any surprises!). I would actually be willing to travel, as I find the vets off the island of Montreal are more affordable. My vet before was up in the laurentians and they always had fair prices. thanks!

CyberKitten
April 3rd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Wow!! $295 for a female cat is a lot!! I paid the same amt regardless of the gender! Are there other options or just one clinic - I recall you saying you lived in a rural area. It might be worth it to go further but then of course you are further from the vet should complications arise, sigh!! Granted, I spent a large part of my life on a farm and the closest vet was an hour away except when the came to visit farmers and we had him look at our pets and strays and rescues then. It is so wonderful when times change!!!!

Mocha's mum
April 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM
I paid just over $100 for Mocha, and he was a bilateral chryptorchid...so apparently it was supposed to be more. However, I guess that really doesn't help you because I live in Alberta..

But, I heard somewhere that it depends on the size of the animal....don't know if that's true....meh.

Kyra
April 3rd, 2007, 10:46 PM
I just called about 10 or 12 places in Ohio today about neutering. They vary widely with the low being $56 and high being $200 (and that was starting at). You really have to ask a lot of questions. Your pet needs to be current on vaccines...mine needs a rabies. The place I am considering is $94 for the surgery. $28 for pain and antibiotic package sent home with you. $46 for an IV during the surgery. $16 for Rabies shot. This place keeps the dog overnight and is monitored by humans 24 hours. Most of them send the pet home same day. The places also differed on when they could the surgery and one place had a 4 week wait! I have been told to stay away from the spay/neuter clinic as 1 lady walked in with 3 pets and out with 2 living and one of them needed to be taken to another vet for further care.

Best of Luck!

Tazette
April 4th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I take Sprocket in to be Neutered tomorrow and it will cost me $130.00 and another $10.00 for the city tags, if we want at chip put in, it will be another $58.00. I don't know how useful the chips are in the NWT, I'm not sure if the By-Law even care to check for them when they find your dog loose, they tend to be a bit shady.

SableCollie
April 5th, 2007, 07:39 PM
The vets around here are getting insane with their prices. $400-$500 USD for a dog spay. There is one low cost mobile clinic, but animals can't be over 3 or 4 years of age, and dogs have to be under 40 lbs. Their prices are from $50-$80 depending on the sex and whether it is a dog or cat. There are a few places in Boston, but you have to meet their income eligibility requirements, and they're not located in the best neighborhoods, so it's a little scary going to them. It's too bad that vets feel they have to charge so much! We are hoping to open a spay/neuter clinic in the next few years, as a lot of people love their pets and want to do the right thing but can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars. I know I couldn't afford it.

H.P.
April 5th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Man O Man, am I feeling lucky, the spay/neuter clinic that I took Sydney to cost $45 USD, it was a super nice place too, no income requirements. They don't do any blood work before hand though, and if the dog needs shots it is extra for that, but only $6-$8 a shot.