Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Um... I come from New Zealand, so can someone explain the "crate" thing???

Quins-mum
February 22nd, 2007, 01:16 AM
excuse my igonrance, but i find it hard to fatherm why ppl would crate a pet???.. Gawd, I know im gona be crucified here!!!
Before I started working from home, I used to leave my Rotti outside in a fenced property??? Can someone enlighten me? I guess it can only be because alot of ppl live in appartments?
Again.. I say Im gonna be cricufied... please dont... im just asking:shrug:

coppperbelle
February 22nd, 2007, 06:54 AM
The idea with a crate is that wolves are cave dwellers and that a crate will mimic a crate. Dogs of course evolved from wolves .
I was reluctant to use a crate when I got a puppy 15 or 16 years ago but it kept her safe while I was not able to watch her or be home with her. She felt secure and my house was left intact. She loved her crate and would go there to sleep even when I didn't put her in it. I would leave the door open and would find her napping there.
As we all know puppies will get into all kinds of things and eat everything which can be very dangerous for them. I would much rather put them in a crate than come home to a destoyed house or a sick puppy. Haven't we all come home to a mess and a dog happily greeting us at the door? He has no idea why we are freaking out because the couch has a huge hole in it. He is just happy to see us. It would be less stressful for him to be in a crate safe and sound than to have us come home angry because he has destroyed something.
I will admit that some people overdue it but if used correctly they can be an excellent tool.

jessi76
February 22nd, 2007, 09:01 AM
Copperbelle summed it up great!

I chose to crate train for a few reasons.... to help housebreak, to ensure my belongings were safe, to ensure my PUPPY was safe, to ensure my 2 cats were safe, and to provide my dog the comfort and security of his own "space", to travel easily, to make any overnight stays at the vet, boarding facility, or family/friends homes a bit easier, etc..

Personally, I would NEVER leave a dog outside while I wasn't home, there are just too many things that could go wrong. (could get loose, jump fence, get hurt, etc...)

Even though I own a house, in the country, with plenty of land, and even a fenced area for the dog, I still crate while I'm not home, for peace of mind.

OntarioGreys
February 22nd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Before I started working from home, I used to leave my Rotti outside in a fenced property??? Can someone enlighten me? I guess it can only be because alot of ppl live in appartments?

As mentioned a crate is a substitute for a den, a safe place.

I live in a house, I use the crate mostly as a transition tool with adults, as I have a multi dog house, I cannot add a new dog and just leave to go to work, the crate is used for the new dog to seperate while I cannot supervise interaction until the dogs gets to know each other, and until the new knows the rules of the house, 2 of my adults dogs, were racing dogs who had never lived in a house before, so had to learn what they could play with and what they couldn't plus had to learn that pottying can not be done inside the house.

With puppies it is the same sort of thing, a puppy generally will learn to hold so as not to mess in their crates/den so it can help with housetraining also prevent puppies from getting into mischief when you cannot watch them, my hope is that each one will graduate from the crate and be trustworthy in the house when I am not home.

Some dogs really like their crate, as will use it when they are tired or if they want to be alone and not be bothered or as a safe place to hide out, example if there are children around or company visists and they are not comfortable around strangers who might be visiting the home

here we have temperature extremes that can go -30 Celcius to over +30 celcius, these kind of temperature extremes could kill some dogs if left outdoors, also most neighbourhoods have noise bylaws and nuisance barking could lead to fines, in my city it is about $150 per dog per each complaint the city recieved

Catzig
February 22nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
Don't worry Quins-mum, we're not forcing them into a jail cell. In most cases, they just walk in when asked to do so ... and even when not asked. Tia knows the crate is her space and no one else goes in. It's a calm, quiet and relaxing place.

I would never leave my dog unattended in our fenced yard for any length of time if for no other reason than the weather. I live in southern Ontario, Canada where we are subject to extremes in temperature. The joke around here is ... if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change.

Quins-mum
February 22nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks guys. I was thinking last night that one reason could have something to do with the weather.I forget about some of you guys can have extremes.

And thanks fro not cricifying me for asking such a stupid question, I guess over here we have different ideas on the crate vs leaving the dog outside debate.
I only know of one dog that had been crated here, that was a friends Piranise Mountain Dog.
Here in NZ when we register our dogs, the dog ranger comes to inspect the property, which if it is fenced off, then you get a reduction on the rego of the dog.
I guess i have been lucky with my dogs, ( my Rotti, and now I do the same for Quinand the cat Lexie),all have the run of the back garden and I leave the back door open for them. I've never had any trouble with either dog eating things they shouldn't.
Its an interesting insite tho, and thanks for your replies.

gomez
February 23rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Another reason to crate train: travelling

Gomez was crate trained form when he was a puppy, and is very happy in his den, sleeping or napping...

He has just completed his first overseas trip from the UK to Australia, and of course he had to be crated on the plane, and he travelled smoothly.

Many pets who are not used to being in crate will try desperately to get out of it and hurt themselves in the process...

You never know when you might have to travel, and them being used to being in a crate is very handy!

Quins-mum
February 23rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
I can see the advantages about crating... (still may not be something I would do ) but each to their own. I guess I just never thought about it too much.

brandynva
February 23rd, 2007, 11:26 PM
We crate our doggies because it is safer for them and our stuff doesn't get destroyed. I have tried letting Mileva stay out since she is a little older, but she eats books. Chews them into bitty bits. Ate one of my brand new ones once. :eek: However, lately Roscoe has not wanted to go in his crate during the day. Maybe because I let him stay out at night more. He's almost a year. Anyway, he used to mess in the house if left unattended too long. But, we are going on a week with him in the house uncrated and he has done FABULOUS! I have a thread about it somewhere.

Anyway, cute story. Mileva knows when it's time to go in her crate. We tell her, go get in your bed. She will go in there and wait for us to come close it for her. :cloud9: And it's huge so she can stretch out, stand up fully etc. Anyway, last night I went to bed and she was laying in Roscoe's crate acting all sweet. We don't crate either one at night. Anyway, she decided to sleep in his bed for some reason. lol Little monkey...

As for keeping them outside, there is no way. They would drive the neighbors bonkers with barking. Another reason is we really don't want "outdoor" dogs. Sooo that's my long winded :2cents:. :eek:

brandynva
February 23rd, 2007, 11:27 PM
I can see the advantages about crating... (still may not be something I would do ) but each to their own. I guess I just never thought about it too much.

I agree, to each his own. Hey, it's what makes the world go 'round right? :D Oh wait, maybe that was love... hmmmmm

sissani
February 24th, 2007, 12:06 AM
It really is for their own good; you wouldnt leave a kid alone to roam the house for the same reason. Left alone, they could get into things and possibly hurt themselves. Same reason I wouldnt leave them outside unattended. In a crate they are safe and comfortable and have no way of getting into trouble.