Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I just have to say this about cats!! No offense to dog owners!

heidiho
February 21st, 2007, 04:31 PM
The more i just sit back and really watch and learn about my kitten,the more i realize how smart they really are,what i think makes them so special and unique is how they just dont do anything they dont want to do,try as you may if they are not into it,it is not gonna happen,just like that article said that i posted here,the more she learns ,the more i am just in awe of cats..How everything they learn comes by instinct and how focused she is when we play the stalking game at night,i dont know if any of this makes sense i just had to say it,not sure if it came out the whey i had it in my head,but having both cats and dogs i have come to the conclusion that people who dont like cats are just intimadated by the fact that you really cant control a cat like you can a dog,i love their independance, curiosity,fearlessness,try try again attitude,and the love they give on their terms......

Winston
February 21st, 2007, 04:34 PM
That was perfectly stated...Each cat has its own personality! Everything is on their terms! They are unique!

Cindy

heidiho
February 21st, 2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks,not quite how i had it in my head,but that was the jist of it.I really cant say i am either a cat or dog person i would prefer to have both,but i find it fascinating how with cats it is their world and you are just in it,their independance is what i find so killer,i guess maybe because i respect people that are independant,there is no sit,stay,come,roll over etc,it is hey i want to do this and i am gonna do it..I guess what i am trying to get at is you cant FORCE anything on them..And the old saying how they just give you love when they are hungry is just not true w/ roxy,as soon as she hears me at the front door after work she is crying up a storm,and it isnt for food cause she never eats when i first get home,and when i get in the door she is just so happy and loves to be held and kissed on and i adore her for everything she gives me and everything she has taught me......I cannot show her in enough ways,.:cat: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

Cram
February 21st, 2007, 04:55 PM
I completely agree! Dog and cats are totally different animals and I love it that way. My cats do greet me when i come home and cuddle with me while I sleep at night. They know exactly what to do to get me to wake up and feed them on weekends. Sam and I often play fetch (she learned all by herself- she just brought me a foam ball one day :)). They don't need me to be there like our puppy does, nor can you really make the mistakes you can with their training like you can with a dog. I think people who don't like or appreciate cats have never had one of their own to love them and only them. Cats generally like a single person and that's it (some are different though) and they are very standoffish with others, even those who live in the same house. I never doubt my cats' love for me and that they would miss me if I was gone.

heidiho
February 21st, 2007, 05:18 PM
No way,roxy fetches to ,we started throwing wadded up drawing paper ,she loves the sound,and one day she just started getting it and bringing it right to us,dropping it in our hand and waiting for us to throw it to do all over again..I also have no doubts the love she has for us,i have never owned a cat that cried when they heard us coming home..Dogs ,yes.. At night i swear she knows when it is time to go to bed,and it is my favorite time of day,i will go in room call her or sometimes she just comes with me,we play what i call the hand game,she sits on either nightstand and i move my fingers around and she stalks them then pounces this will go on for about 20 minutes then she starts kneading and drooling and purring on the blanket and slowly falls asleep,and if i get up to go have a cig in the living room she comes waits then when i am done we go back to bed..I wonder if she is this loving to us because we did get her at about 4 weeks old???

JanM
February 21st, 2007, 05:50 PM
I, too, have dogs and a cat and while both have their truly amazing qualities, cats are just so together I think is the word. You are right - cats do what cats want to do, when they want to do it and I think that non-cat people cannot accept an animal that accepts us on their terms - not ours.

heidiho
February 21st, 2007, 06:01 PM
I totally agree with that,they cannot handle the fact that you cannot make a cat do stuff as a dog would,and how can you not respect that...!! I someday do want another dog,but i do feel people are really missing out on the learning experience of having a cat,so funny i have had them before,never from such a young age,maybe thats the difference,but to really just watch how focused they can be,and my god so still,when she is in stalking mode she will sit sooo still and just stare,no blinking and she can do that for minutes at a time,i guess til she feels or senses i am ready to be attacked.Or in bed we will be like hey wheres roxy and i will look over to my nightstand and she is like a friggin statue just sitting there staring,so funny cause it is dark and you just see this shadow watching you,how can you not love it.

RolandsMom
February 21st, 2007, 06:45 PM
He he. Roland plays fetch too and i totally agree with all of the above! :lovestruck: :cat: :lovestruck:

CyberKitten
February 21st, 2007, 06:56 PM
I so agree with you Heidi - the first msg, have not yet read the entire thread. You know the saying, Dogs have owners, cats have staff. <g> And I love dogs too but in testing cats have been shown to have much longer memories and learn very quickly!! People who think cats should "obey" do not understand cats. (especially Siamese, lol - obey is just not in their vocabulary - you have to convince them it is to their advantage to do what you want them to do, lol)

My YY (the female Siamese) plays fetch and does a high 5 but it has to be on her terms. She won't do it just for a treat and if she thought I wanted her to it, she would probably just look the other way and make me look silly, lol

heidiho
February 21st, 2007, 07:31 PM
Everything you said ,ditto.....So true saturday mornings we try so hard to get her to just be mellow and lay in bed for just a few more minutes,nope,not gonna happen,we will try and hold her,forget about it,she starts squirming til she is loose ,and then takes off,and yep cats have staff,now that is funny.I think cat owners have to be non insecure people,or am i lookin for another word for that?? I know what i am trying to say,but doesnt sound right

Dracko
February 22nd, 2007, 01:02 AM
I've said it before: I wouldn't want to live w/o my dog but I COULDN'T live w/o my cats.

I do love Dracko and probably do more with him since he needs me for more things, but the cats I feel to my core. I don't mean that to sound like I don't adore my dog, just that I couldn't see the point of coming home to a house w/o a cat.

glasslass
February 22nd, 2007, 01:23 AM
I so loved having the combination of a cat and dog! The interaction between them was priceless! There were also some very unique experiences I would never have believed. Like the time Puss-Puss wouldn't leave us alone while we were trying to sleep, knocking things off the dresser to get our attention, etc. We closed our bedroom door and finally got into a sound sleep that was rudely interrupted by a godawful loud noise. Sitting bolt upright, we turned on the lamp. The noise came again from by the bed. Then we watched a black & white paw come under the door, reaching up to snag the springy, door-stop thing attached to the door, pull it back, and let it go. TWANG! How did she ever know to do that? Probably, the first time was accidental, but she mastered it fast!

And yes, when we first got her, I tried to teach her "stay".:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dracko
February 22nd, 2007, 01:26 AM
^^^ I agree that the best part of having a cat and dog is the interaction between them. I love watching my dog and cats interact. Very special. :cloud9: Plus, Dracko knows the cats are in charge. :evil:

glasslass
February 22nd, 2007, 02:05 AM
I thought of Den-Den & Puss-Puss as "Yin & Yang": dog -cat, male - female, white - black. Opposites, yet complimentary.

Kristin7
February 22nd, 2007, 11:08 AM
A cat lovers thread, yay! I too think they are super smart (ok, not all of them, but mine are), like monkey smart even. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs! I could watch them for hours... I also love their independant natures. It probably isn't obvious how great they can be to those who have not had a cat friend. They are very loyal and many of them just hide when strangers come over, or at least, do not feel relaxed enough to let their purrsonalities come out. Their respect and friendship must be earned. I dont' ever want to be without them! :cat: :cat:

heidiho
February 22nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
I love everyones stories here,i could not live without her either,i cant even remember what is was like before her,how boring it was.And you are right if you never had a cat you will never get it,i am curious though someday we do want a dog also,but how would she deal with it,being as she has never seen a dog,

chico2
February 22nd, 2007, 01:41 PM
Glasslass,the door-stopper springy thing made me laugh,my Chico loved to do that(not under the door though:D ),it got soo bad we had to exchanged them all:laughing:
Now in the morning,one of my cats will open and close my bedside table door,an awful noise to wake up to,I suspect it's again Chico..he kind of sneaks away when I wake up..
Since I am home with them all day,they are mostly awake during the day,lay down beside me when i watch TV at night and when it's bed-time they come to bed too and sleep until at least 6am,when they think it's time for me to get up and feed them:cat:
I firmly believe you can teach your cats,if you take the time,many people don't expect to be able to,so they don't try.
Every day when we go outside,I am very proud of them,when I've had enough out there,I just call them and they come in with me,all in a row.
Vinnie likes to drag his feet,often I have to go and get him,but as soon as I come near,he runs in on his own.
They all have quirks and habits,likes and dislikes and they have both me and hubby well trained:lovestruck: but we love them to bits!!

CyberKitten
February 23rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Al,l my cats have trained me very well, lol Thx for all the stories - so cute!!

dr_dolittle57
February 23rd, 2007, 05:57 PM
What gets me about cats is that if they get angry and hiss at you, in a few minutes the storm has passed and you both move on. Anger in dogs is completely unacceptable though. Cats walk all over the furniture, but the dog is scolded for being on the couch. Cats never need to go outside, but dogs have to go out at least once or twice a day. If a dog won't come when you call it's considered disobedience, but when a cat won't come after being called it's no big deal. I agree, cats are independent.

LM1313
February 24th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I love both :dog: and :cat: but you're so right, cats are really "with it!" If you want them to come or sit or shake, you'd better show them what's in it for them!

Mark Twain said, "A cat is more intelligent than people believe, and can be taught any crime." Man, did he have it right. :laughing: I can't believe the things my cats have learned on their own . . . how to open any drawer or cupboard, how to turn the lights on and off. My dog knew that when the doorknob rattled it was time to go outside, but my cats were the ones trying to grip and turn the knob! :p

rainbow
February 24th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I've always had both dogs and cats at the same time....they're a good balance. :p I love this thread....lots of cute stories. :)

jayner
February 24th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I just have to say how great this thread was to read. I lost my cat (the love of my life) in May... he was a Siamese and I can sincerely say that Frankie epitomized the independent anecdotes here. I have just recently adopted a dog to fill the void (believe me, it was huge!) and I absolutley love her to death, but of course it's absolutely different. I've been asked a few times by the people closest to me how Menina (my new pup) compares to Frankie and although I thought Menina would somehow "fill the void", there is no comparison!!

I brought up some of these issues to my partner and he asked (a very new, first-time pet owner) "are cats or dogs smarter?" It's a funny question because I feel like they are not even in the same category... it's not about intelligence, it's about attitude!

I am also encouraged by the rave reviews of having both cats and dogs... now I just have to convince my partner!

lt_danish
February 24th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Well, I am more of a dog person than a cat person. But I am still an animal person and love cats. I had to leave my cat with my parents when I left home due to allergies, not being allowed pets in my new location, and them wanting to keep her as the family pet. She has an attitude, but is very smart too.
Thanks for all the wonderful stories!