Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What do you put in your dog's crate?

Cram
February 21st, 2007, 04:20 PM
Our little 4 month old puppy decided yesterday to eat the mattress in his crate. He loves to dig on the top, but hadn't ripped a hole in it yet, but it turned out he was chewing on the plastic lined bottom of the mattress! Luckily we were around and prevented him from eating all the pieces of foam that came out, but I don't think we can use the mattress any more. I just lined the bottom of the crate with an old towel and a small fleece blanket from his breeder and a t-shirt that smells like us for today. Does anyone have any other recommendations for a crate mattress? The one he had was grey fleece and had rolled up sides. I just don't know if it's worth getting another one, but I am somewhat concerned that he will tear up the towel and eat it or get tangled on it. TIA!

jessi76
February 21st, 2007, 04:30 PM
i almost forgot how hard it was to decide on a lining for the crate! we used big soft beach towels when my pup was little, incase of an accident, it was easily changed out and washed. when he got older, he graduated up to an old queen size comforter. I fold it over 2x, so it fits the crate, and it's soft, cushy, warm, and machine washable. until your pup is out of the chewing stage though, I'd go w/ soft towels or fleece, nothing with any stuffing or batting inside that can be ripped up and eaten.

although if you notice holes in the towels or blanets, change them out to some w/out holes. holes are dangerous, as we've just learned, thanks to a recent post by another user. Her dog got it's foot wrapped up in a hole, nearly cutting off circulation. so it's something to be careful of. (just a precaution! not meant to scare you from using towels or blankets)

do you provide chew things in the crate? a kong can be great, and help keep those towels/blanets in tact.

Catzig
February 21st, 2007, 04:35 PM
Your puppy will likely tear up lots of things for a while as he gets his big boy teeth. Keep the foam mattress out of the crate for now. You can wait and see if he trashes the towel and blanket. If he continues to be really destructive, take all the blankets, etc. out of the crate. If you're worried about the crate bottom being cold, put a blanket or something under the crate. Just make sure none of the edges are accessible. (I came home to unravelled carpet one day, in spite of my best intentions.)

Some dogs will not play with toys in the crate, (my current one will not touch a toy or chewie in her crate unfortunately, but did a real number on the bedding for a while). If you can offer some form of entertainment: frozen kong treat, nylabone, etc. that may help. The destructive behaviour may be because it's fun and the only thing there is to do, or it may just feel good against his gums - perhaps a bit of both. You might want to hold off on buying a new mattress for the time being.

LOL ... it took me a minute to figure out the TIA part :o ... my dog's name is Tia

Catzig
February 21st, 2007, 04:37 PM
jessi76 ... that's great advice about the holes in the towels and blankets!

Cram
February 21st, 2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks guys! Helix does get a Kong filled with plain yogurt (frozen) as well as a rubber toy shaped like a helix (hehe I know!) and a hard penguin nylabone toy to play with (its a big hard ball with a furry penguin cover over top, so no stuffing). I think I will stick with the towels for now and see how that goes. If anyone else has any advice, feel free to post it!

OntarioGreys
February 21st, 2007, 05:26 PM
I am the one that posted about the accident with the towel, fortunately arrived home when I did before permanent damage occured

I am currently using quilted or plush fleece pillow shams with towel inside of that

jesse's mommy
February 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM
When we were crating Jesse, we couldn't leave anything in there for her because she destroyed everything we put in there. Toys, chew treats, blankets, bed, everything was in pieces. It didn't matter how long we were gone, she would do it. :rolleyes: So for her, it was a boring couple of hours of solitude. :o