Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is there any way to get a cat to eat slower

dustybird
February 20th, 2007, 09:22 PM
My male cat Forest eats like a shop vac. He has pretty much eatten this way since he was a kitten and his purpose in life is to do nothing but eat.

Blood work is routinely done and all is good. We feed him three meals a day as if we gave it to him all at once he would just gorge himself. It is more his dry food that is a problem. The kibbles are fairly large for cat kibble (I had hoped the larger kibble would slow him down but no) and he swallows them whole and may chew the odd one. I have started giving him a little wait for him to actually finish swallowing and then give more etc.. he has yet to throw up but I still worry that it will catch up to him one day. Can cat's get bloat? His other two meals are canned and although he eats it fast to it's not as fast. I suppose I could just cut the dry out but he really does look forward to eating it and one meal of dry seems to keep him a little more satisfied than all canned.

He is getting royal canin prescription urinary food as he has had some bladder trouble twice in the last two years. Keeping him on the food I don't have to worry constantly about a urinary blockage and six months of the year we live and work in the middle of no where; with the closest vet being and hour and 15min boat ride away, I would like to prevent as many problems as possible. He is this way with all the foods he has been on. Feeding him more food in total doesn't change anything and he is weight gain prone. At 15lbs I can still feel ribs easily and he has a waist, if I let him gain more then I have to worry about fatty liver and diabetes(I worry about it anyway).

Anyway sorry this is soo long and I don't really know if there is anything I can do to get him to not wolf his food down but thought I'd ask and see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks

Scott_B
February 20th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I honestly wouldnt worry about it too much.

But, you could try spreading the kibble out on a large plate, or a boot mat. just an idea.

allisonl_1
February 21st, 2007, 11:49 AM
my kitties do the same thing, especially the younger callico, peanut butter. It does not seem to bother either of them, but what I have started to do is to spread the food out in smaller portions over the day. So instead of a couple large servings I will give them 5 or six small servings. I would agree with the previous comment though, as long as it is not a free for all (ie. more and more food always available) then I would not worry too much.

Kristin7
February 21st, 2007, 11:56 AM
I have this same problem with one of my cats, except she was throwing up all over the house after meals sometimes. Scott's suggestion is good... I was feeding her for awhile on a large cookie sheet. Another tip someone gave me was to put something in her bowl she would have to work around (upside down smaller bowl for instance). I didn't do this, but it makes sense. I think what helped the most was to switch her food (though I see you can't do this). Bigger kibble did help with her, but then I switched to Felidae and she has had to chew that as well (not to mention, it is better quality than Science Diet). I found that the shape of the food matters. Better to not have it be small round kibbles. The Felidae is shaped like a + and she has to chew it or I imagine it would hurt going down. I don't think cats get bloat, but you could run into the throwing up problem like I did. :cat:

dustybird
February 21st, 2007, 06:42 PM
Thank you for the replies. I have tried spreading the kibble out so it's not in one heap but he still manges to finish it off the same. I think I just worry too much, that an our other cat actually takes the time to chew every kibble.

Finding something to make him work at getting the food remined me of those treaky treat balls for dogs, I have seen them for cats in the past and I think I will look for one and see if that will work. I know a lot of cats swallow their kibble whole; it's just that he does it soo fast. I use to give them dental treats from the vet, they're hard to explain but they are about a half inch long and sort of tube shaped, I had to stop giving them as the little bugger would swallow those whole to. He really is a pig when it comes to anything eddilbe.

Thanks again from one worry wart kitty mom.