Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jumping up

lt_danish
February 20th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Our puppy is 5 months old. Very friendly and social with other people and dogs. Maybe too social. When she is off leash at the dog park she often runs up to other people and jumps on them. Thankfully some people know what to do and ignore her if she jumps on them. But many think its 'cute' and say "don't worry I don't mind". But I mind, she isn't getting smaller and the 'cute' thing will wear off when she is 40 or 50lbs. I want to let her run off leash at the park but how can I try to stop this behavior with strangers? (She knows not to jump on me or my partner).

jessi76
February 21st, 2007, 08:11 AM
I'm sorry, but IMO, dog parks are only for dogs with manners. I think you should take some basic obedience classes and be sure this behavior is under control before going back to the dog park. I agree the dog park is a great way to exercise, however, the continued jumping is reinforcing this bad behavior.

You can always use the dog park during off peak hours, when there are less people. and there are other ways to exercise a 5mth old pup - walking on lead, jogging with you, playing at home, doggy playdates, and the best is training. Training teaches basic manners by making the dog really think and learn, which also tires them out ALOT.

jumping ON people isn't "cute", it's dangerous. there may come a day when your dog inadvertantly hurts someone, knocks someone down, or jumps on someone who is afraid of dogs leading to some very bad reactions.

for now, I'd keep your dog on leash when greeting ANYONE, so you can enforce the NO JUMPING rule. reward her when she doesn't jump, and control her when she tries to. Teach a command such as OFF! Instruct any guests to ignore her and turn AWAY from her if she gets jumpy. Ideally though, keeping her on leash and preventing the jumping is best.

breeze
February 21st, 2007, 09:49 AM
I do not take bree to a dog park for this reason, she also jumps, we are training her "off" even when somone come to the door she will be leashed so that we can controll if she jumps ( this is going very well) some people find it cute yes but it is not !! I personally would hate it if a dog jumped on me unexpecetly, that is why it is very important that we train or dogs not to jump. it does take time and don't forget to reward when he or she listens patience is the key word

lt_danish
February 21st, 2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the great suggestions. It actually was in obedience classes where she learned to jump up, as we were trying to teach them not too. Somehow this behavior has stuck when greating strangers. I will keep her on a lead for our next visits (do to my living arrangements and location exercising at home is not effective) and make it more of a walk around the dog park. I was commited to being able to excercise an active dog daily well before her adoption. We have a couple more weeks for me to work on this training with her before our next set od dog classes start.

jessi76
February 21st, 2007, 11:41 AM
It actually was in obedience classes where she learned to jump up, as we were trying to teach them not too.

Perhaps that wasn't the right class for you. There are many different types of classes around these days - private, group, clicker-based, and even at home DVDs. maybe explore different types available in your area, or explore some recommended DVDs.

breeze
February 21st, 2007, 12:19 PM
repetion is the best way, it take time and patience, hand reward works just as well as food reward just remember to use the same command when you don't want her to jump, as for excersise a long lead might help. keep us posted

lt_danish
February 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM
explore some recommended DVDs.

I would be very interested to know of some good DVDs. The public library here is fairly large and has a good selection of all kinds of DVDs. I recall there being some about dog training long before our puppy arrived.

jessi76
February 21st, 2007, 03:22 PM
here is a link to another thread on this.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6926&highlight=jumping

I really thought tenderfoot's advice was great for this issue. if you agree with the advice, think it's a method that can work for you, perhaps you should check out the website listed in tenderfoot's signature. You should find some DVDs there.

I don't know what would be available at your public library though. Generally, I'd say look for training that uses positive methods.