Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neighbors Beat Attacking Dogs To Get Them Off Woman

heidiho
February 20th, 2007, 08:03 PM
PAISLEY, Fla. -- A woman was attacked by two dogs at a home on Oak Street in Paisley on Monday night. Deputies said 20-year-old Rosylin Delamore went inside the fenced in yard, despite a sign warning "Keep Out! Private Property! No Trespassing! Bad Dogs."

Neighbors said Delamore was a friend of the family and didn't realize how dangerous the dogs were. She went up to the back door and the two pit bull-lab mix dogs attacked.

Neighbors heard the girls screams and called 911. Others rushed to the yard and had to hit the dogs with chains to get them to stop biting her.

"She was bleeding from her arm, her face, her ear," said neighbor Terri Preston.

The attack was vicious. Deputies said the dogs bit part of the woman's ear off.

"We've got to put the dogs down. We're not going to take another chance. That could have been a little kid," said a friend who lives with the homeowner.

Delamore was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center with life-threatening injuries

heidiho
February 20th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Just so wrong,even with all the signs letting you know,BEWARE OF DOGS,they will still get put down because a moron choose to go back there anyway,something is really wrong with this world......

technodoll
February 20th, 2007, 08:08 PM
some people need to wear a sign that says "moron" :yell:

luckypenny
February 21st, 2007, 12:04 AM
I agree she was forewarned but, I can't help but wonder "what if it was a child?" Shouldn't the owners have put a lock on the gate as well? Meter readers were always coming into our yard even though we have a sign up with a note attached to knock on the front door. This didn't stop them until we put on a lock. I don't think my pups would bite a stranger but they do warn them off, you just never know. If these were my dogs, I wouldn't feel comfortable if they were outside without supervision. I mean, they knew their dogs were vicious. What a sad ending.

LM1313
February 21st, 2007, 10:44 AM
If you walk into a yard with a sign like that, well . . . what do you expect?

All the same, I agree that there should have been a lock on the gate in case some kid wandered in.

rainbow
February 21st, 2007, 07:56 PM
That woman should have known better. :rolleyes: But, the owners should definitely have their gate locked. :sad:

~michelle~
February 21st, 2007, 08:00 PM
people should have locked gates if they have a pool why not a dog? all dogs regardless of breed can be dangerous esp if there is a stranger on the premisis. poor dogs being out down.

if they did this to a robber they would have been praised, dogs dont know the difference:sad:

coppperbelle
February 21st, 2007, 08:28 PM
Now for the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would keep two obviously vicious dogs like this. This was a terrible incident that was bound to happen. Dogs protecting a property may bite but when the person gives up they will not continue to viciously attack. These dogs were obviously in a frenzy and this is not normal behavior. People had to hit the dog to get them off of her. This was not a dog fight but an attack on a poor woman.

I would agree that she should not have walked into the yard but I cannot excuse the dogs or their owners.

Maxine
February 23rd, 2007, 11:21 AM
I'm thinking the exact same thing, CopperBelle. This is a sad story, I hope the lady will be okay :sad:

Maxine

SARAH
February 23rd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Dunno about here but in France there is a law saying you must have a sign that you have (a) dog(s) in case someone gets bitten. If you have the sign and they come in anyway, you are not liable. OK, the dog may still be put down, but at least the attacked person was warned.

I do agree that there should have been a lock on the gate. And on any dog-owner's gate for that matter. Not only to keep people from walking in to a potential "situation" but also to keep them from leaving the gate open so the dog (s) can run out and get lost, hurt or hurt someone.

Had this attacked person been a child, I would have had more compassion than with a grown woman who - I assume - can read.

heidiho
February 23rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
I have to disagree,yeah that would suck if it was a kid,but if i own a home and i have several signs warning about dog,and someone comes in anyway i just dont think it is right that my dog should be put down,what about my rights,yeah gate should of been locked,but bottom line to me is no one should be coming into my yard anyway,and there were signs warning people,that is really not fair.

CyberKitten
February 23rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
I have to concur with the sentiment that there are two issues at work here. One, why did these people keep what they termed vicious (or bad- why call a dog bad and then leave him or her outside, esp chained if they were - that is the worst thing anyone can do) dogs outside where one could easily open the gate. That is like saying,m come on in and get attacked if you want to be.

That said, I would have taken the sign seriously and walked as far from it as possible. Still, putting up a sign does not - in legal terms- absolve the owners (so called) of their responsibility either. (We have an old saying in medicine - you can't sign your responsibility away. People sign medical forms all the time, does not prevent them from suing if something goes wrong. I've never been sued than God - specialty most often sued is obtetrics because everyone expects a perfect baby and often even the best obstetrician cannot promise that!) Anyway - I am veering away from the topic.

My point is just because they put up a sign means very little. Sure, people can read it and you would think they would be smart enough to keep up but as my dad says, you have to make everything "idiot proof" and obviously, this was not. Seriously, there are ppl who cannot read or may not understand English - especially in Fla (my parents have neighbours in Fla whose English does not extend to written word; my mom does remedial English help so I hear lots of stories!!), there are children who may not take it seriously or older kids who simply do not believe a dog can be dangerous or see it as a challenge and there are ppl like this woman who may have seen the dogs before and not been attacked. (It does not say that in the article, am making assumptions here).

It is a sad story all around. But I do not as someone said - understand why anyone would keep dangerous dogs, unless they use these poor pooches for fighting????

I hate stories like this!!! I myself wold have ran a mile from there because as much as L adore most dogs (I petted a lovely dog in the back seat of a car at a mall yesterday but the owner was in the front seat and invited us to), I get a huge lump in my chest when I see a dog I do not know running loose and either barking, baring its teeth or tugging at a chain. And if a dog lover like me can feel this way, imagine all those ppl who are not animal lovers!! (I would not hesitate to get help if I saw a dog running loose to see if it was lost though, my fear would be secondary to its well being but I would not do it alone!!) Some dogs that are lost will come up to you and you just know they are friendly but I don't know, there is some kind of prickly feeling I get when I have a bad feeling about a dog so I would have listened intently to that sign. But obviously, not everyone does. What idf I had petted those dogs before and they'd been OK, what if I was Spanish and did not understand the sign, what if I did not see it (some ppl have these tiny signs and I have seen such in and even in Hfx and other parts of the Maritimes).

Anyway - as I said, VERY SAD!!!!

coppperbelle
February 23rd, 2007, 04:05 PM
I had never thought of a language barrier problem but that is so true. For whatever reason this woman felt secure enough to enter the yard. She may have met the dogs before or thought that the sign was just a warning for potential thieves. I know many people who put "Beware of Dog" signs up to protect their homes.
I know I wouldn't have taken a chance and entered the yard but this lady did and is paying dearly for her mistake. Unfortunately the dogs have paid dearly also but I don't think there was any choice what had to be done. Their owners on the other hand have some explaining to do.

heidiho
February 23rd, 2007, 04:14 PM
I do understand what you are saying especially if they were really vicious dogs,but still they were in THEIR fenced yard,whether you speak english or not you are treaspassing if you go into someones yard ,the dog as far as i am concerned is in HIS yard at his home.Yes vicious dogs should be more secure,but people should also get arrested if they enter someones yard.

coppperbelle
February 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM
We must remember that this was not a dog bite, it was a dog attack. People had to use sticks to beat the dogs off. This is not normal behavior for a dog protecting his home unless of course he was trained to do so.
Think about what your dog would do in the same circumstance.

~michelle~
February 23rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
its hard to get all of the details.... how did the woman enter did she come across as a danger, or threat to the dogs. for all we know she could have entered the yard and taunted the dogs or imposed fear into them. maybe there was an unnatural dog attack maybe the woman instigated it.... either way its results are sad for all parties involved.