Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need alternate food options for Odin

raingirl
February 20th, 2007, 03:17 PM
(for those who don't know, i home cook for Odin, 1/3 chicken, 1/3 brown rice, 1/3 random veggies + supplements)

I have been doing the home cooking thing since about the end of September and it is really driving me nuts. I swear, I am so sick of the smell/look of chicken, it makes me sick. But...it's all he can eat. Welll...he can eat fish and turkey too, but those are more expensive.

I just need alternate options on how to cook it so that my house doesn't smell of it all the time.

Right now I buy bulk chicken legs for about $1 per pound. I cook about 8 at a time, which lasts about 4 days at about 2 legs per day. I cook them in the slow cooker for 24 hours, and 90% of the bones become all crumbly. I only have to discard the long bones of the thigh and drumstick. I then put a bunch of brown rice and veggies in the slow cooker broth and cook them for a few hours. Then I mix it all up and feed it to him over 4 days.

The problem with this is my house stinks of chicken, it takes forever, and I don't have a lot of room to store the food in our fridge (now that I have three roommates).

i just need options. So far:

I have considered getting a pressure cooker, which cooks it fast, with less smell, and will basically "melt" the bones (they become all jelly like).

I have considered getting a good meet grinder so i can grind the meat and bones and just cook it quick with rice/veggies in a pot.

I also know I need to get a chest freezer...I think it's the only option. That way I can make a bunch of food over a weekend, and just take it out to defrost for 12 hours before feeding him. because right now, my "half" of the fridge is 50% full of his food. And there is no room to freeze stuff.

Anyone else have any ideas? I did try two brands of "preservative free" canned chicken, and he still had a reaction (got major eczema on one of his ears).

My roommates also don't like the chicken smell, so it's not just me.

technodoll
February 20th, 2007, 03:38 PM
i think the pressure cooker is your best option... a BIG pressure cooker :D

a good electric meat grinder is about $200 (one that can handle raw bones) and it's messy, and you will still have to cook the minced product so you have two steps instead of one... and chopping up those chicken legs into small pieces so they fit in the grinder requires lots of muscles and lots of cleanup :rolleyes: (i know... we do it about every 3 weeks for the kids!)

odin has a GREAT mom! :highfive:

coppperbelle
February 20th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Sorry can't help with the menu planning but if want a chest freezer I have one for you. It has been in my basement for a number of years not being used.

raingirl
February 20th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks Copper, but I think it would be more expensive to get to montreal to get it then to buy one here. But thanks for the offer!

Yeah, I know with the meat grinder it would be messy... but a pressure cooker can only cook like 2-3 meals for him at once, so that means a lot batches. Also, pressure cookers scare me (i know there are more safe now than the ones years ago, but still). And what if the pressure cooker doesn't make the bones soft enough??

I dunno...i'm just sick of it.

technodoll
February 20th, 2007, 07:22 PM
awe raingirl :grouphug: i hope you find a solution soon. i know it can be so hard sometimes...

what about baking a big bunch of legs in one of those huge tinfoil oven roasters, deboning them and stuffing the bones in the slow-cooker to get them mushy? would take much less space in the slow cooker... maybe you could make bigger batches at a time this way and smell chicken less often? :confused:

can odin eat any other kind of meat, or only chicken? i assume no raw... it would solve the smell issue (after grinding, you just freeze and feed as needed). Hubby's in the kitchen right now chopping up 35 lbs of chicken frames for the grinder and we'll be good for 3 weeks for two big doggies :D

i really hope you find a solution, besides wearing gas masks during cooking days :D

mummummum
February 20th, 2007, 10:05 PM
How about inviting all of your friends with portable BBQ's over and you have a massive BBQ party ? Cook up enough for a couple of months. Hey, don't laugh! I had a friend who couldn't afford to replace her gas oven and BBQ'd for 3 years solid (with a hubby and three carniverous boys no less!) no matter the weather. :D

raingirl
February 21st, 2007, 05:56 PM
That would be cool, except we aren't allowed BBQ's on our balcony. :(

the reason i put them in the slow cooker is because I dont have to debone them that way, really. That's the annoying/hard part and what I want to avoid.

I need to find a butcher who will grind the chicken (bones and all) for me in bulk. that would be ideal.

technodoll
February 21st, 2007, 07:15 PM
I need to find a butcher who will grind the chicken (bones and all) for me in bulk. that would be ideal.

i would not cook that. you will end up with a hard pebbly mush, cooked bone pieces like big hard grains of sand... cooked bones are indigestible and you would run the risk of an intestinal impaction. just my :2cents:

coppperbelle
February 21st, 2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks Copper, but I think it would be more expensive to get to montreal to get it then to buy one here. But thanks for the offer!

Yeah, I know with the meat grinder it would be messy... but a pressure cooker can only cook like 2-3 meals for him at once, so that means a lot batches. Also, pressure cookers scare me (i know there are more safe now than the ones years ago, but still). And what if the pressure cooker doesn't make the bones soft enough??

I dunno...i'm just sick of it.

I know this is off topic sort of. Many years ago I was at my friends house and her mom was making pea soup in a pressure cooker. The pot exploded and there were peas everywhere hanging from the ceiling, the walls, the lights and from my friends moms face. I have never used a pressure cooker since.

lt_danish
February 21st, 2007, 07:56 PM
Maybe I will sound dumb here. But do you have to cook the chicken? Can you just rinse it well and put it in his dish?

Scott_B
February 22nd, 2007, 05:58 AM
Not dumb at all :D

raingirl
February 22nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Odin can't do raw because of his health issues (he is on an immune supressant for his cherry eye and dry eye problems). SO his food has to be cooked.

Why would cooking the ground meat be all grainy? The way I'm doing it now, the bones are going in, but they literally disolve after cooking so long. I just think if it's ground meat, it would take a lot less time to get to the mushy bone stage, thus less smell...I dunno.

Scott_B
February 22nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
How long will he be on this immune supressant?

technodoll
February 22nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
Why would cooking the ground meat be all grainy?

i tried it and that's how it came out :o but i didn't put it in a slow cooker for a day though... only fried it up... maybe the slow-cooker would be different, you'd have to try :)

lt_danish
February 23rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
Is your balcony covered? Would it be unsafe or inconvenient to get and extension cord and put the slow cooker outside on the balcony?

Or maybe there is a friend or other dog lover in your area that you could do some sort of exchange with... like they cook you bulk amount of chicken in exhange for something else. I babysat bunnies once in exhange for some home cooking for myself!

Now I recall I became vegetarian myself for many years due to the lingering smell of cooked meat. Any luck with things?

raingirl
February 24th, 2007, 09:32 AM
He'll be on the immune suppressant for the rest of his life, it's a lifelong condition. So I won't ever be able to do the raw thing.

I'm also worried about the pressure cooker exploding thing too, because that happened to my mothers a couple of times. They are supposed to be more stable now, and not explode, but still....

I dunno. Seems like I have the best way already now.

Scott_B
February 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Gezz, that sucks. You'd almost have to be carefull everywhere you go with him. Hell, he could get a bug just by grabbing a stick. Poor fella.

raingirl
February 28th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah. i feel bad for him. his eyes are always so red and sore looking. At least he appears happy.

I guess I just hate how it stresses me out all his cooking. TOnight I have to cook for him...no options....he is on his last dish. And this weekend I need to make 2 weeks worth of food because he is going to a sitter for a week as I'm going away for a few days. That's going to be fun!!

** pray that the weather stays below freezing so I can store his food on the balcony as I don't have a freezer right now!! **

Prin
March 1st, 2007, 12:17 AM
Good luck, raingirl. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: You need a break.:o