Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is your dog musical?

Quins-mum
February 20th, 2007, 04:26 AM
This is really a carry-on thread from Janm's thread... Do dogs talk?

I was at my parents place the other night, and we were having a sing-song, with a harmonica and a piano-accordian, and my dog was singing too!
What I did notice was that Quin (3yr old black lab) would bark along with the high notes and howl with the low ones. And more amazingly he was "kinda" in tune.

He sings with my dad when he is practicing on his harmonica, and I think Quin knows the tunes!

Am I silly in thinking "my boy" is more intelligent than he makes out to be (he is a crazy black lab remember!!!) or is there something more to it... apparently the only way we can communicate with aliens is thru music (if you believe in aliens).
I guess music is like whistle training??? not that I know too much about that.

Think I might have to take Quin busking... but it would be his "good looks" that make the money!

Prin
February 20th, 2007, 02:40 PM
That's so adorable! The only time Boo ever sang like that was when a dog was singing the national anthem on tv.. It was so awesome, but I haven't been able to get him to do it since.:o

TKW
February 20th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Yes and No! As I mentioned on the other post, my dog hates piano palying. But he howls along with Italian opera. And when we hum "Hockey Night In Canada", he knows it's play time and looks for his pull-toy and brings it to us.
And I miss whistling to entertain myself b/c he'll run over and give me the what the h*ll you want look.:D

raingirl
February 20th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I don't think Odin is musical. He is afraid of my boyfriend's guitar.

He does howl with fire trucks though.

Lukka'sma
February 20th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Lukka likes to sing with the sound of sirens. If a fire truck is off in the distance she will howl so loud that I think the neighbours will becomes frightened that a wild dog has surrounded their house. It almost sounds chilling.

CyberKitten
February 20th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Mine never were musical tho they did talk to me (my beagle would howl on the odd occasion, lol) but I know someone whose large lab barks to O Canada. He has been on several shows - I keep telling the family to bring him to David Letterman, lol

Quins-mum
February 21st, 2007, 01:44 AM
as soon as my dad sits down and lifts his harmonica case up, Quin is there! Sitting infront of him, waiting for their "sing-song". My dad used to say that he was worried incase the music was hurting Quins ears, hence the howling and barking! He now thinks that Quin "really appreciates good music"!!!! mum and I sit there laughing our heads off coz Quin rolls his tounge when he howls
..and instead of wagging his tail when he sings, it goes round in circles!!!!