Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Got a bag of Candiae dog food all stages- now what?

matangers
February 20th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Nova's predigree dry food are totally gone, but she has leftover soft food cans. So, I mix Candiae with predigree can.

Malibu's Science Diet dog food is less than 10lbs and I mix it with left over predigree cans, too and some candiae dry food.

So, I want to feed the dogs in correct amount of cups per day with leftover food until it's gone and correct amount of cups in whole candiae food. Both of them are fed twice a day along with snacks and hawride.

Malibu's 50 lbs even.

Nova's approx 20 lbs.

Oh yea, what time do you tend to feed the dogs?

When the soft food cans are gone, what else can I mix with Candiae?

Just asking!!! THANKS!

Scott_B
February 20th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Well, you don't have to mix the canidae with anything. Feed as is. If you want to mix it, buy some canned Canidae.

I feed a small meal in the am, then a larger meal around supper after I eat. But thats just because of my schedule. I do mix it up though, and sometimes skip breakfast and feed a meal at lunch or skip supper and feed at lunch. I do this because dogs are creatures of habit. They get into a schedule and their stomach tells em, hey its time to eat soon, so the stomach starts getting the juices ready to digest food, only if for some reason your not home or cant feed them right away, they will want to get rid of these strong juices, and you get that yellow bile vomit. So I like to keep em guessing when they get fed. But again, that just my personal preference. :thumbs up

And one thing, I assume you mean rawhide and not hawride hehe, but either way, toss it out. Its no good for your pups, and can cause some serious issues when they get pieces off it.

matangers
February 20th, 2007, 12:24 PM
OOOH. Okay, I probably better finish off the leftover food then start the new routine.

I heard that people mix dry food with cottage cheese or something else?

Oops, yea, rawhide. LOL. I knew I misspelled. What about pig ears, pig snouts, and hoof? Nova needs something to chew on. Her teeth are growing and I could see more teeth than before but I know few of them are growing. She was very busy with hawride so I saw something small that can choke, I took it out to trash.

Scott_B
February 20th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I wouldnt bother with the Cottage cheese. Again, no real reason too. I'm sure somewhere, someone thought it was a great idea. But Canidae is a great kibble, so I'd just feed it as is, or like I said above, add their wet food.

As for a chew toy..nylabones work. I give raw beef neck bones. You should be able to get them from your butcher. Just make sure you get them large enough. I again, dn't care for the pig ears/snouts. I don't feed cooked bones. Raw only.

Skryker
February 20th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I feed the Canidae, too, and I add a can of salmon a couple of times a week (reduce the amount of kibble a bit) just because my guys get really dry skin without it. I also give them salmon oil capsules on the days they don't get fish. Just my :2cents:

I give them raw carrots and apples regularly as treats, as well as other fruits and veggies for treats. When they were pups, a carrot kept them busy for quite awhile but it's only a 5 minute chew now. :D

I found a toy by Hartz called a Tooth-scrubber-it's a bunch of knobby rubber discs on a rubber spindle-that has lasted for months and they love to chew on it for hours. Same with the beloved Cuz toy.

Prin
February 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Ok, I don't understand.:o Have you switched them gradually over to canidae?

rainbow
February 20th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I'm a little confused too. Let me see if I got it straight:

NOVA is getting Canidae dry and Pedigree canned.
MALIBU is getting Science Diet dry + Canidae dry (until SD is used up) and Pedigree canned.

I wouldn't give them the Pedigree. I would give it to the SPCA or somewhere like that. I'd also give them the Science Diet.

Once both dogs are on Canidae there is no need to add anything else as it is an excellent food on it's own.

Please don't give them pig ears, pig snouts or hooves as they are full of bacteria. Personally, I don't like rawhide either. But, if you choose to use it, only do so under supervision and take it away when the pieces get small enough to swallow whole.

As far as how much to feed of the Canidae use the amount recommended on the bag as a guideline.

rainbow
February 20th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I forgot to answer feeding times question. A one year old puppy can be fed twice a day. The five month old three times a day for another couple months then twice a day. I feed my dogs at breakfast and supper.

Also, instead of rawhide, try a kong (which you can also stuff or put treats in) or a nylabone or any good quality rubber toy. Also, a raw knucklebone but not a shank bone as they can chip/crack teeth.

matangers
February 20th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Yes, I feed Nova a mixed of Candiae Dry Food and pedigree soft food from can.

Malibu gets 3- small amount of candiae dry food, science diet (to finish off), and pedigree can.

Should I hold Candiae food for Malibu until her other food are gone?

Once other stuff are gone, then both of them will be on whole candiae dry food. If it's very difficult to feed Malibu with whole dry food, then I get candiae cans to mix with. Nova's very easy to feed because she's just puppy. I just got Malibu last month and the foster dog owner said feed her 2 times a day with a mixed food from science diet which she has been eating ever since and 3 cups per meal. I thought it was too much for a boxer. I read the recommendation cups and it said 2 to 3 cups for Malibu's weight. She was 62 lbs when we got her. Then her weight went down to 58 lbs or so. Her body looks lean and look great. I think she might be 55 lbs now.

With my beloved Chevy (:rip: ), we just leave dry food in the bowl all the day and fill it up. Chevy never been overweight so it was easier to feed him because he was totally housetrained and potty trained. Now we got Nova and Malibu, the method of feeding and training are totally different and opposite!! But we still love them and we want to make sure if it's right way to feed them and what to feed them, etc. My boyfriend, Matt, is very pleased to purchase Candiae bag last night because it's worth to get a single bag instead of two. I saw Gold Solid bag and it's $45.

They also have Diamond and Sportmix

matangers
February 20th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Oh okay, I will start the new routine tomorrow and feed Nova 3 times a day and Malibu twice a day (same).

Thanks for your help

x.l.r.8
February 21st, 2007, 01:55 AM
Here it's not a lot more to get the 40lb bag of Canadie, not sure what size you brought but my neighbour brought the smaller bag and it was nearly what I paid for the big bag.
I personally would add Canned Canadie to the dry canadie untill your happy with the swap, and then you can play with some other canned products like merricks to see if there is something they also like.
I would possibly be on the conservative side on the amount you feed during the swap, the pedegree and SD are reputed to have a lot of fillers, feeding the same of a better food may be to much, i would also rather have hungry dogs at feeding time, rather than having them turn there noses up.