Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nutrience Holistic Adult Food

BusterBoo
February 19th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Any constructive comments on this food would be appreciated! I am currently feeding my dogs Eukanuba Fish and Potato. While they both are doing OK on that, I was looking for something better/different.....

INGREDIENTS:
Duck meal, brown rice, whole barley, ground rice, soy protein concentrate, whole oats, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), sunflower oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), flaxseed meal, lecithin, dicalcium phosphate, dried beet pulp, chicken flavor, salt, potassium chloride, dried corn syrup, DL-methionine, L-lysine, yeast extract, dried cranberries, dried apples, dried blueberries, dried carrots, chicory root extract, dehydrated spinach, tomato powder, parsley, dried honey, mint leaves, dehydrated green tea, dehydrated alfalfa meal, choline chloride, yucca schidigera extract, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), dried rosemary, dried thyme, dried oregano, dried fenugreek, dried fennel, dried cayenne, dried ginger, iron proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc methionine complex, zinc oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, folic acid, niacin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude protein min. 24.0 %
Crude fat min. 14.0 %
Crude fiber max. 4.0 %
Moisture max. 10.0 %
Ash max. 8.5 %
Calcium min. 1.1 %
Phosphorus min. 0.9 %
Salt min. 1.0 %
Vitamin A min. 20,000 I.U./kg
Vitamin D3 min. 1,200 I.U./kg
Vitamin E min. 110 I.U./kg
Vitamin C min. 50 mg/kg
Omega 6 fatty acids 2.2 %
Omega 3 fatty acids 0.28 %
Herbs 0.1 %

ENERGY:
Metabolisable energy (ME Kcal/kg as served): 3620

Why should dogs eat NUTRIENCE HOLISTIC ADULT DOG MEDIUM BREED alternative maintenance food?
Duck meal: a high quality hypoallergenic source of protein.
Chicken fat and sunflower oil: high quality sources of linoleic and arachidonic essential unsaturated fatty acids, which promote well-conditioned skin and a shiny coat.
Lecithin: provides a high level of linoleic Omega 6 essential fatty acids and contributes to fat digestion.
M.O.S. (Mannanoligosaccharides) helps prevent the colonization of pathogenic bacteria from binding onto the gut walls.
F.O.S. (Fructo-oligosaccharides) exclusive nutrient source for “good” bacteria, in association with M.O.S., produces a synergetic effect favouring healthy intestinal microflora.
Contains chelated minerals for optimum assimilation of certain special mineral compounds.
A special mix of herbs, vegetables and fruit is added for optimum performance.
Yucca schidigera lowers the production of ammonia in the stool and decreases offensive odours.
Flaxseed meal contains an excellent source of essential omega 3 fatty acids for improved coat condition.
Vitamin C added for extra immune support.

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM
How much is that one? We could maybe find a better one in the same price range? :o Can you post the ingredients of your Euk up to the first fat so we can compare? :)

BusterBoo
February 19th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Price isn't an issue here.......here are the ingredients for Euk F/P

Harley started on Euk when he was sooooo sick last January with blastomycosis. I was syringe feeding him for weeks and when he started eating, he liked the Euk f/p.

Ingredients
Potato, Herring Meal (source of fish oil), Catfish, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fish Digest, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate

Guaranteed Analysis Nutrient (percent)
Crude Protein not less than 22.0%
Crude Fat not less than 12.0%
Crude Fiber not more than 4.0%
Moisture not more than 10.0%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids not less than 1.20%*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids not less than 0.24%*

* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles

billyp
February 19th, 2007, 06:40 PM
lots of grain IMO and only one source of protein which isnt the richest in amino acid.
If you're dog isnt intolerant to other meat I would highle suggest a better quality kibble such as CAnidae or if you want to stay in a 1 source of protein product you could go with Nature's variety.
Both are good quality food and in the same protein range...
You also have Innova and Innova EVO and Innova RM however those are loaded with protein...around 42% I believe and they are also grainless...

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I think the easiest for him to switch to would be the DVP sweet potato and fish... http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/SPFish.html

I just think the one you posted is way too grainy. I don't like the soy and citric acid either (both can lead to bloat). Menadione is vitamin K3 and is banned for human consumption.... :o

gypsy_girl
February 19th, 2007, 08:58 PM
If you are looking for a hypo allergenic food, I would NOT consider this one due to the soy protein. It can be useful if it is "soy protein isolate" for certain cases, but you would need to check with the manufacturer if they consider this to be an "alternate" protein (based on how/if they hydrolyse the protein.
NB, much better, GO! Salmon, maybe Ocean Blue???

Mocha's mum
February 19th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I think the easiest for him to switch to would be the DVP sweet potato and fish... http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog...as/SPFish.html

My boy is on the Venison and Brown Rice formula for his ears. He's still having a bit of an issue (not as bad as before), so the next bag I buy will be the Fish and Sweet Potato.

I personally like the Natural Balance formulas, and I find that Mocha is more eager to eat, and his general appearance is better (softer coat, more energy, etc). Plus cleaning up his 'business' is better too...it's not so squishy and huge.

BusterBoo
February 20th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I haven't been able to find Natural Balance near my place (I actually live in Gatineau Quebec). I guess I will keep looking around, maybe somewhere near where I work in Ottawa.

Thanks again!

Prin
February 20th, 2007, 01:18 PM
If you give us a list of what you can get, we can help you choose... Sorry I've been beating around the bush in this thread.. Your "constructive criticism" stumped me. :D

BusterBoo
February 20th, 2007, 02:34 PM
:laughing:

Sorry about the "constructive criticism"........I know a lot of people are very passionate about the food we give our furbabies and I didn't want to get into a debate over it.....I was just asking for an honest opinion of the food.

The only petstore I ever get to is Petsmart and when I walk in there, I get very confused because there is usually a representative or two trying to push their food. Other than Petsmart, most of the little pet stores sell Iams or that type of food, the same as grocery stores.

$$ isn't a concern......of course I would like the best food possible (as long as I don't have to re-mortgage my house!! :crazy: )

Prin
February 20th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Just say "I don't want any help" and then take an inventory.:D Foods like Innova, Solid Gold, Go! Natural, Canidae, Merrick, Natural balance, Nature's Variety, among others are good (generally), so those are the ones to look for. :)

Scott_B
February 20th, 2007, 02:41 PM
i usually argue with them a bit first lol :D

meb999
February 21st, 2007, 06:35 AM
Well the nutrience IS better than the EUk (animal fat :eek: :yuck: that could be fat from ANY animal...when they don't specify they can put anything....INCLUDING Rover's fat, Minou's fat, etc...) But I agree with Prin, there are better foods than Nutrience...

Inova, Solid Gold, DVP...just to name a few....

Here's a thread that lists ingredients of alot of hollistic foods : http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28957

BusterBoo
February 23rd, 2007, 11:34 AM
Well, I made my weekly venture to Petsmart and I was approaching the dog food section, I was "greeted" by the representative from Nutrience! I firmly (put so politely!) told him I was going to do some research on the dog foods, thanked him for his concerns and moved on to the rows of dog foods.

Here is what I found.....

Blue Buffalo (various varieties)
Nutro Natural Choice
Nature's Recipe
Royal Canin
Beneful
Authority (never heard of that one before>)
and then IAMS and Purina

So.......I am assuming that Beneful, IAMS and Purina are not so good....but not sure about the other ones :shrug: Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to flip every bag to see the ingredients, so if any of you are familiar with these foods, I would appreciate your input!

gypsy_girl
February 23rd, 2007, 02:18 PM
Hmmm do you have another store that you can shop at, something that is more "holistic"?
I wouldn't choose anything in here...
Authority is the Petsmart "house brand"
Blue Buff is probably the best here

luckypenny
February 23rd, 2007, 03:09 PM
It doesn't look like any stores in Gatineau carries Natural Balance, but plenty in Ottawa do. Here's a list:
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/home/can_cities.tpl
Hopefully one of them is located near your work.

luckypenny
February 23rd, 2007, 03:12 PM
Oops, that didn't work :o . Go to http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/ and click on "Where To Buy".

OntarioGreys
February 28th, 2007, 08:04 PM
STUDIO LA GRIFFE
283 Maloney Ouest
Gatineau , PQ J8P 1C5 819-669-7377
www.studiolagriffe.com

You can probably find several types of foods here

One that I would recommend is Nature's Variety which they sell, I found the store thru their store locator.

Wild Alaskan
Salmon Meal & Brown Rice Medley
Nature's Variety Prairie Canine Dry Diet

High in meat protein
Whole grains
Exclusive freeze dried raw meat Bio-Coating
Naturally formulated for rotation feeding
Complete and balanced for all life stages

Healthy, Natural Ingredients
Salmon Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Barley, Canola Oil, Pumpkinseeds, Flaxseed Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Chicken Liver Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Folic Acid), Sea Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), Chicken Liver, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Apples, Carrots, Peas, Chicken Eggs, Cottage Cheese, Freeze Dried Chicken, Freeze Dried Turkey, Freeze Dried Turkey Liver, Freeze Dried Turkey Hearts, Ground Chicken Bone, Butternut Squash, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Kelp, Honey, Apple Cider Vinegar, Blueberries, Parsley, Salmon Oil, Citric Acid, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Alfalfa Sprouts, Olive Oil, Clove, Duck Eggs, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Persimmons, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Sage

Being wild alaskan salmon it won't have the toxins and mercury many other fish have example lake fish such as catfish will be extremely toxic, and ocen fish caught in gulfs like gulf of Mexico and off San Fransico will also be heavily contaminated with industrial chemicals and pesticides, When it comes to any type of fish based food, I personally would be very picky about where the fish is sourced from, the reason is because eating more than 2 meals of lake fish a month is dangerous to people due to all the chemical found in fish, what is it doing to dogs who are eating daily???

Natures Varieties other dogs food also contain clay this one just happened to be closest to what you are currently feeding, so if youhttp://naturesvariety.com/ can't find this particular formula the others should be fine as well.