Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

whats the best kitty litter?

RolandsMom
February 19th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Im struggling to find a litter i like. the one im using now is okay but it smells pretty strong (of whatever they use to disguise the poopy smell)
any recommendations?

dtbmnec
February 19th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I use Maxx Cat Multi Cat.

Doesn't smell and the boys are pretty good about keeping it in the litter box...of course when I'm not looking I swear they have litter fights ;)

Megan

P.S. A little bit of Arm and Hammer Baking soda (?? O.o I should know this LOL) goes a long way. I toss some of that in there too and we are smell free :)

RolandsMom
February 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM
ahh baking soda! what a great idea!
yes i have the mysterious litter throwing fairy in my house too. and double strange, my litter box is a covered one!

happycats
February 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM
The best kitty litter, in my opinion (I have 5 cats) is the pine clumping (looks like saw dust) you can get it at Loblaws and Walmart. The reasons why;

- smells great, and great odor control
- very very light (much lighter then clay)
- it's compostable
- It's much healthier for cat's then clay
-it last's much longer (so you may pay more but it lasts longer,and you don;t need as much, so it really works out to the same price as the clay)
- it's natural.
- it's non-tracking

If your worried about the cat's not getting used to it, what I did was gradually add it to the clay litter, until it eventually was all pine.

It's by far the best litter I have ever used, and trust me I have been using litter for 18 years, and have tried them all!!

dustybird
February 19th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I know a few people who use the pine and loooove it. I tried swheat scoop it is sorta the same thing(a little pricey) but I loved it, no smell, clumps just like the regular clumping and no dust. But.....I had to revert back to the regular clumping as my male cat hated it, I introduced it gradually but no go(he would only use it when he couldn't hold it anymore).

Anyway if your cat will use it I say go for the natural stuff as there are no chemicals, and almost zero dust/smell, plus after you scoop out all the goodies you can put it into the flower beds in the fall to fertilize/mulch over the winter(so I've heard anyway).

crazyforcats
February 20th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Hi! I used to live in Calgary - now I'm in High River. First off, I found that the best place to buy any pet products was at PetSmart. They have the best and largest selections for the reasonable prices. The adjoining vet clinic (Alpine Pet Hospital at the Chinook location) was also wonderful, although that was a couple years ago and I'm not sure if the same vets are still practicing there (one went on maternity leave - she was absolutely excellent. I don't know if she returned, since we've opted for a vet closer to home now). As for kitty litter - for years I used ExquisiCat litter - the regular clay unscented variety. The scented one is very overpowering! I found it was the best litter for the best price. I had to line the bottom of the pan with newspaper to absorb the pee. I tried clumping brands, but a kitty I had at the time would track those tiny litter bits all over the house. And he was 20 lbs, so peed alot - clumping brands would end up in one big huge glob in less than a day. Now I do use the clumping litter - Purina Maxx Scoop - it works better for the one little kitty I now have, even though he does track a bit of it around the house. I think it's just the kind of litter that works best for you and your kitty - alot of trial and error.

CyberKitten
February 20th, 2007, 10:46 AM
My cats like Yesterday's News so that's what we have here. Our latest arrival was not keen at first but he wanted to be with the other cats so he decided one day he would use it as well, Cats, lol

heidiho
February 20th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Fresh step crystals,love itttt

Stacer
February 20th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I too love Swheat scoop. But we've changed over to regular clumping clay for now, until we can afford to get the expensive stuff again. I don't mind the clumping clay, but I feel guily using it (enviro-geek here).

TeriM
February 20th, 2007, 03:43 PM
LOVE the pine clumping litter :thumbs up . Tried the wheat stuff but Lucy insisted on eating it :frustrated: and one of the cats would pee in it but not poop :yell: .

trippincherri
February 20th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I used to use Maxx Scoop but recently switched to Arm and Hammers new litter, its a clay clumping litter and works very well. And for a double dose of smell killer use it along with Arm and Hammers kitty litter deodorizer!! It's baking powder but all jazzed up for litter boxes basically.

I sound like a spokes person for Arm and Hammer :laughing: :rolleyes:

cpietra16
February 21st, 2007, 06:55 AM
The best kitty litter, in my opinion (I have 5 cats) is the pine clumping (looks like saw dust) you can get it at Loblaws and Walmart. The reasons why;

- smells great, and great odor control
- very very light (much lighter then clay)
- it's compostable
- It's much healthier for cat's then clay
-it last's much longer (so you may pay more but it lasts longer,and you don;t need as much, so it really works out to the same price as the clay)
- it's natural.
- it's non-tracking

If your worried about the cat's not getting used to it, what I did was gradually add it to the clay litter, until it eventually was all pine.

It's by far the best litter I have ever used, and trust me I have been using litter for 18 years, and have tried them all!!

Are you and I the same person...:D . I've got 5 cats, been using litter for 18 years, my cats that is, and I've tried them all too. I also like the pine becasue you can flush it down the toilet...great:thumbs up .
The last point that I would like to make is that my dog will sometimes go into the litter for treats:D , but I don't panic now that we've been using pine; afterall he chews on wood anyway

Scott_B
February 21st, 2007, 07:19 AM
3 cats here and I use the pine as well. :thumbs up

happycats
February 21st, 2007, 12:23 PM
:eek: Are you and I the same person...:D . I've got 5 cats, been using litter for 18 years, my cats that is, and I've tried them all too. I also like the pine becasue you can flush it down the toilet...great:thumbs up .
The last point that I would like to make is that my dog will sometimes go into the litter for treats:D , but I don't panic now that we've been using pine; afterall he chews on wood anyway

LOL
THat's funny, my oldest guy is going to be 19 this spring ( I adpoted him when he was a year old) So yup, I've been scooping for 18 years:eek:
I have 4 boys and 1 girl!

I thought clumping was the best thing man ever created when it first came out!!

The only problem I had with pine, is my son had an allergic reaction to it. But other then that, it's the best by far, the others don;t even come close (and yes I have tried them all)

RolandsMom
February 21st, 2007, 02:25 PM
hmm. i think i will try the pine. i take it its readily available at the local pet store?
trippincherri i will use nothing from Arm and Hammer as they still do extensive tests on animals for all their products!!!!! :sad: :mad: Nasty!!!! (stacer im a bit of an eco freak too so the pine sounds great without all the chemicals!)

H.P.
February 21st, 2007, 07:06 PM
I like the pine pellets, and PetSmart carries it, as do most of the big box and groceries.

happycats
February 21st, 2007, 07:42 PM
hmm. i think i will try the pine. i take it its readily available at the local pet store?
trippincherri i will use nothing from Arm and Hammer as they still do extensive tests on animals for all their products!!!!! :sad: :mad: Nasty!!!! (stacer im a bit of an eco freak too so the pine sounds great without all the chemicals!)

Make sure it's the pine that looks like sawdust, as it clumps great.
It is also compostable!
Our local petstore doesn't carry it, so I get it at Wal-mart.

trippincherri
February 25th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Hmm....I didn't know about the animal testing otherwise I would have re-thought my purchase.
Thanks for the info!!