Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are you mechanically inclined?

Shamrock
February 19th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Are you handy at fixing things around your house?

Can you change a tire, or do other basic auto repairs?

What once was primarily consided "men's work" is no longer the case - and vice versa of course.:thumbs up.
Not all men are mechanically inclined either.

I hate to admit it... but leave most of this type of stuff up to my husband, tradesperson., or mechanic.
I "really" should be more self sufficient in this area, not have to rely on others for the standard and basic jobs that crop up.

Our gas furnace pilot-light went out a while ago. Its dead easy to re-light, but such a rare event, I've just forgotten how.:o I dont like fiddling around with gas when I'm not sure of what I'm doing
So... now I have to wait for hubby to get home,for such a simple and easy task.:o :sad: :mad:
I'll be sure to re-acquaint myself, so I dont feel like quite such a helpless dope if it happens again:D .

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I can change a tire... I change them every winter and spring. I wish I knew how to do more... I could probably change my brakes if I had to. I'm good at taking apart stuff and putting it back together. :)

My limitations are heights and spiders... That stops me from doing a lot of manly things around the house.. :o

Scott_B
February 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM
used to be :thumbs up

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM
lol I thought you'd at least back that up with some more scars. ;) :cloud9: :D

Mocha's mum
February 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks to the army, I'm pretty efficient at vehicle stuff (changing tires, fuel filters, using ether....:laughing: ). Considering the current state of most of our vehicles, I think everyone could remuster to vehicle tech!!

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks to the army, I'm pretty efficient at vehicle stuff (changing tires, fuel filters, using ether....:laughing: ). Considering the current state of most of our vehicles, I think everyone could remuster to vehicle tech!!

Yeah, that's what I heard about our army. We have such old equipment that our troops end up better trained than anybody else's.:D Ok, sorry, that's a little :offtopic: :o

I'd love to be a mechanic though. Can you imagine really knowing what is wrong with your car? :D :cloud9:

Byrd
February 19th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I will dabble in anything, indoors or out, except electrical.

Mocha's mum
February 19th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I'd love to be a mechanic though. Can you imagine really knowing what is wrong with your car?

My ex is a mechanic in the military, and he absolutely loves it. Unfortunately nowadays, everything is computerized, so unless you have a diagnostics machine, it's hard to pinpoint what's wrong. And that's how our vehicles are going now (with the 'Milverado' and the 'G-Wagon'), so it's hard to do anything on your own...minus changing tires and such.

I had an '81 (?) Toyota pick up truck once, and bought the manuel for it, so I could tinker around with the minor stuff if I needed to. I managed to change the windshield wiper motor, which was a big accomplishment for me!!

I also like to do home reno stuff. I think it's fun to change the appearance of your home, and to have the satisfaction that you did it on your own...or with minimal help.

With the internet, anything is possible, I think!! :thumbs up

BMDLuver
February 19th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I am very well equipped to cope on my own. I can run wiring, frame walls, put up gyproc, plaster, paint, roof a house, build a paddock, run a tractor, combine, backhoe, drive a forklift, use a chainsaw, diesel auger, bail hay, change a tire, etc... I figure heck, learn all you can... never know when it might come in handy... plus the DH used to travel an awful lot. I'm still working on the fine art of being a fashion statement... seems in the later years I've figured it's about time to learn the girlie things ;)

Frenchy
February 19th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I never do anything myself on my car cuz I work in a car dealer. But in my house , I try to do repairs myself , indoor and outdoor , would be too expensive to always call repair man ! But I don't like to play with electrical too much and anything that has to do with heights, I could never go on my roof.

Kristin7
February 19th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Yes, sometimes. Depends on the task. For some reason, I am good with toilets. I had to install one of those plunger things in the tank one time and it worked and usually can manage to figure out what is wrong when it runs and fix that. Also installed my kitchen faucet to replace the old yucky leaking one. I paint and fix cracks, strip wallpaper. But no building unless you count things like Habitat for Humanity and the homes I helped build in Mexico (but this was w/ a lot of other people helping figure things out). I've changed tires before... but wow, BMDluver, you have many skills! That's awesome. I am single and live alone in an old house that needs work so have to learn some stuff unless I want to pay someone else to do it. My job requires me to learn all kinds of things, so I figure, why should I not apply this to my home life too? It would be great to have a man to help, though. Some of this stuff would be easier w/ company!

technodoll
February 19th, 2007, 08:07 PM
i'm not too bad :o when you live alone you kinda have to learn how to do stuff... and then none of my men (except one) have been "handy" or mechanically inclined... i'm the one with the big equipped toolbox and when things need fixing, I'm the one who goes to the hardware store and makes things right again :frustrated: cuz i HAVE to! LOL

CyberKitten
February 19th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I am much more mechanically inclined than my bf and I give credit to my dad for all those "boy's toys" or what were seen as such when I was a child. I also like tinkering - can fix the furnace for example and am the one who fixes everyone's computers. (well everyone I know, not everyone, rofl!)

I have a good friend who is similar - likes to paint the house and do carpentry work. So do, if I had more time!! I just think ppl are different tho I wish women had access to more mechanically inclined courses in high school when I was growing up.

phoenix
February 19th, 2007, 08:23 PM
When we had our electrical inspection, we had a couple of things come up and I fixed them all :) ... I don't find electrical that hard. The biggest danger is someone hitting the house panel back on when you're working, so you have to make sure NO ONE is near there while you are handling things.
This year we built an interior wall, last year did plumbing, I guess I'm pretty handy. Can build fences, stalls, barn stuff... but I've never worked on the car at all.
It's a good idea to get to know these things though.

Skryker
February 19th, 2007, 10:41 PM
It depends. I'm good with some things, not so good with others. I can change a car tire (at least, I think I still can :p ), change the wiper blades, headlights...we had one car that blew voltage regulators pretty consistently for a few months until the mechanics could figure out why, so everyone in my family learned to change those (we kept 2 spare ones in the car at all times!).

Around the house, I can do some stuff. Heights are a no-no, as is heavy lifting because I have a bad back. I do all the computer stuff, cable stuff, stereo hookups, anything with the telephone jacks or wires (my husband's father was a master electrician so he always did stuff like that-hubby had some bad electrical experiences as a child and so stays away from wires.:D ) I'm hopeless with painting or construction type stuff though.

So our household break down is roughly this: big manly stuff like lifting, demo or welding is his department, while little, fiddly frustrating stuff like wires and computer repair is my department-if it requires a precision screwdriver, I get to swear at it instead of him. :laughing: Oh, and I get to change the washers in the older taps, because it's fiddly. :frustrated:

trippincherri
February 20th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I think I am pretty capable.
I do all the regular maintenance on my car but let the bf do all the physical stuff :rolleyes:
I can light the pilot light in our hot water tank when it blows out plus we live in a trailer and sometimes when its really cold our water pipes freeze and I seem to have the magic touch for unthawing them.
Actually they just froze the other day and my bf had to go to work and he was quite happy leaving me at home unthawing pipes since he knows I am used to it lol.
I too have a knack with fixing toilets and dishwashers!! Seemed like every place we lived in had a toilet with issues and I learned how to fix them. And our dishwasher used to give us problems so I learnt how to manage that too.
I used to have a quad and would do all the mechanics for that, oil changing and whatnot.
Theres lots of other things I can do too, I guess when you put your mind to something it's not really that difficult, plus common sense is usually what helps the most.

I have a cousin though who will wait for her husband to come home and do everything for her, problem is he's lazy and usually does nothing for her lol.
She will not even change a light bulb on her own :confused:

Skryker
February 20th, 2007, 12:57 PM
LOL-in the building I lived in Hamilton, there were some people that called the super to change lightbulbs for them. Seems a little too hands-off for me!

AliSam
February 20th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I can pump gas!!!

x.l.r.8
February 20th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Fair play, changing tyres is hard work, I have a manual changer and use my flywheel balancer to re-balance the rims afterwards, it was . I guess I'm at an advantage, I make my own pistons for my race cars, regrind cam shafts and lighten and balance rods without batting an eyelid, I guess thats why my everyday car is a LT4 powered Porsche :thumbs up .
My wife can rebuild V8 engines (it's been running in the Porsche for 6 years) but she chooses not to anymore, something about grease and fingernails :confused:
Since we had the dogs I haven't seen a tool as I don't think it's safe in the garage with the lathe and welder. But come summer I'll be happier to get back in and finish my latest projects (4WD PT cruiser).
I have a friend who cannot do anything mechanical, but she loves her job so she is happy to pick up an extra shift at work to pay for someone else to do what she can't.

jesse's mommy
February 21st, 2007, 04:38 PM
For me it depends on what kind of mood I'm in. I know I can pretty much do about anything or figure it out, I've always been like that. But there are times that honey needs that "I'm the man and I can do it because that's what guys are supposed to do" boost so I'll let him do it (but I'm always there to "give suggestions" :laughing: ). Sometimes I'll just be mad at him and tell him he has to do whatever needs to be done because I just want to torture him. :evil: But other times, I'll just pick things up and do it. My dad is a contractor and he taught me a lot growing up so it's pretty easy for me, but like I said, sometimes I just don't want to. :shrug:

Stacer
February 21st, 2007, 04:55 PM
I'm quite handy, I attribute most of it to my dad. He's the jack of all trades, and we helped him out around the house with renovations and fixing stuff when we were kids. Spent hours watching him fix cars. My husband on the other hand has potential to be handy, but he grew up in a house where his dad always hired people to do the work because he wasn't handy, so hubby never learned. But he's eager now and helps my dad out alot. Let's see, I can do most minor manitenance things to my car, general around the house fixes like plumbing and broken stuff. I can weild a mean hammer, and I'm going to make the cats a kitty condo soon. I'm good with the stereo/TV/DVD/VCR wiring set up stuff, I do all the computer crap around here. I was a painter for a summer, and was quite good. I can put up drywall, mud it, sand it and then paint it.

I agree that it's mostly common sense mixed with a bit of ability and the desire to do it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 21st, 2007, 05:14 PM
I can pump gas, and paint, and I know how to use a screw driver but thats about it. I hate putting stuff together - I think it should already be put together - I mean we are paying these companies big money to buy their stuff at least they could do is put it together for us. :evil: :D

jesse's mommy
February 21st, 2007, 06:30 PM
I mean we are paying these companies big money to buy their stuff at least they could do is put it together for us. :evil: :D

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OntarioGreys
February 21st, 2007, 07:22 PM
As a former single mom and homeowner it is pretty much a necessity to learn to do stuff yourself a least in my opinion.

I work in an auto plant so certain repairs I learned thru work , from dad, watching home repair shows, and if something comes up and I don't know I look it up on the internet and see how to do, example replacing the pull cord on the snowblower or replacing standard outlets with GFI, some wiring may not be standard as the one you first come across on the internet or if diections are supplied with the plug, example: what to do wih an extra wire that is not described, and I find if I dig around enough on the internet I usually find the answer, there is a heck of a lot of how to info available on line, with some written in very simple wording and diagrams to make it easy for even the none mechanically inclined to follow

meb999
February 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM
I'm pretty good, Nics a mecanic and I have a crap car, so I had to learn!

Funny story (well funny to those who know about cars :

My car staled one day and I couldn't start it again (starter was busted). I Called Nic and he said to get someone to krank the key while I hammer the starter (he said it could make a spark and I could start it)
So I asked what the starter was, and he said : it's easy : it's the little motor tied to the car engine.
So I get my mom to do the kranking while I wail on my starter. Didn't work. When Nic finally gets a look at the car, he coldn't believe his eyes : he looks at me and asks : what the hell did you do to your alternator??? :eek: I wailed on the wrong part :o So I had a busted started AND a busted alternator :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
February 21st, 2007, 08:36 PM
LOL-in the building I lived in Hamilton, there were some people that called the super to change lightbulbs for them. Seems a little too hands-off for me!

:o

I'm not from Hamilton, but it sounds like my philosophy of life... he he he We are so unhandy that if we have to change a switch plate, we'll call an electrician... :p okay...maybe we're not quite that bad...but we're awfully close!

meb999
February 21st, 2007, 08:38 PM
One of my best friends (a GUY, by the way), called a plumber to fix his toilet, the little chain thingy had slipped off the handle thingy, the plumber charged him 90 bucks just to slip the little chain back on :eek:

Shamrock
February 22nd, 2007, 12:29 AM
One of my best friends (a GUY, by the way), called a plumber to fix his toilet, the little chain thingy had slipped off the handle thingy, the plumber charged him 90 bucks just to slip the little chain back on :eek:

lol, meb! this makes me feel better .:D I'm not quite "that" helpless! I can do a few minor things.. but minor is the key word.;)

Well, I must say I'm very impressed at some of the stuff you can do!:highfive:
BMDluver.. wow! I sincerely envy your self sufficiency.:thumbs up

And that is what bothers me about this reliancy. I consider myself pretty self sufficient in all areas.. except this one.
What if my husband became ill, coudnt do these things "for" me?:sad:
That's why its so important to learn all you can while you are young, when it all just comes easier..
However, guess it's never too late to learn. :)

Schwinn
February 23rd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Mrs. Schwinn calls me handy, I'm not so sure. I tend to try to fix something, than call an expert to fix my fix. :D

I'll try almost anything except stuff to do with the natural gas in the house, or something that can be more than cosmetic if screwed up. For example, I won't replace the front door, or replace a window. If I screw that up, the house leaks, or it costs us in heating bills. (Of course, I did replace the door and window at my parents, but that's another story...)

In our last house, I tore down a wall in the basement, finished the rest of it, added four outlets and moved the cable and telephone to the opposite side of the room. When I was finished, Mrs Schwinn said, "Wow! I didn't know you knew how to do all this! How many times have you done this?" "Including this one?" "Yea" "Ummm...once". I drove by a few weeks ago, and the house is still standing, so I guess I did okay. Of course, now the problem is that Mrs Schwinn thinks I'm Mr. Fix-and-build-everything. "Can you hang these shelves...can you move this light switch...can you install this bathroom fan...can you build this addition, with another floor, and maybe an escalator and an elevator?"

Some stuff I consider easy, and I finally said to her, "Why don't you watch me this time so you can learn?" "Because if I learn, then I have to do it. This way, you do it for me!" Just give me a lick and call me "Sucker"...that, and if I die and come back as a ghost, I fully expect to see the floor covered in heavy boxes (I'm known as "lifter of heavy things" in my house)