Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Poor American Friends.

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Seriously, what is up with your chocolate? We went to Vermont the other day and my man got me some chocolate, a Hershey bar and OMG was it ever nasty! You poor souls who can't get relief! I feel for you! I mean, you don't even have Caramilk bars! :eek: Write to your congressman, your senator! Anybody who will listen! Canadians have no more right than you do to have access to GOOD chocolate!

:D

Hunter's_owner
February 19th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Prin that is hilarious:laughing:

If your Hershey bars are not as good as ours, you really don't know what you are missing...they are yummmmmmmmy :cloud9:

technodoll
February 19th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Prin nobody's listening over there... they're all off celebrating "President's Day"! we have "President's Choice" as a consolation prize, LOL - hey. do they make good chocklit? :confused: :D

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 02:30 PM
lol Their Hershey bar was like a giant linear hershey kiss, only with a sort of grainy, sandy texture. Oh, it was terrible! Our Hershey bars are NOTHING like that. And we have Mirage and Aero, and all sorts of nice milk chocolate that isn't sandy! :sick:

And your carmello bars? Blech! :footinmouth:

breeze
February 19th, 2007, 02:32 PM
arn't hershey's made in the states ?? don't we bring them in? if so why would theirs be crappy and our's not??

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I don't know. Maybe we fly ours in from England or something.. :D The English have bad food, but their chocolate is definitely better than the chocolate from Vermont!

raingirl
February 19th, 2007, 02:41 PM
our hershey's come from the hershey factory in smith falls ontario (BTW- i love going there, you can get a bag of broken almond hershey bars for like $5, and it's like 20-30 chocolate bars in the bag!)

breeze
February 19th, 2007, 02:45 PM
our hershey's come from the hershey factory in smith falls ontario (BTW- i love going there, you can get a bag of broken almond hershey bars for like $5, and it's like 20-30 chocolate bars in the bag!)

I don't think any of us would mind if they are broken as long as we all have chocolate I think we better ship a bag to prin !!:laughing:

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Ooo I have to go visit that place! :cloud9: I'd be like Homer Simpson in Candyland. :laughing:

breeze
February 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I wouldn't know about homer simpson I never watch the show hate it but I can see what every body would be like in there, look out here we come !!!!!

i_have_too_many
February 19th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Ok, this is not fair, I have been searching my house for chocolate for the last 2 days with little success and here you all are gabbing about my beloved 5th food group :evil:

It really does not matter to me what kind, but I REALLY like the dark stuff, you know the ones from Europe, with like 70% cocoa, mmmmmmm.

And where exactly is this wonderful, store? I really should take a trip, but then I may become even more addicted than I am now :p

raingirl
February 19th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Smiths falls is about 1 hour drive northeast from Kingston Ontario or about 45 min southwest of Ottawa. The factory is open all week, but if you go mon-fri, you can get a chocolate factory tour!

hershey's also owns twizzlers, and you can get really fresh soft black licorice!!

brandynva
February 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Black licorice... :yuck:

I like our Hershey's bars. I don't think they are grainy, but I am in a different part of the country. Hmm... :shrug: I love their new dark chocolate.

I got some Girl Scout cookies today. :cloud9: Caramel Delights :cloud9: :cloud9:

Mocha's mum
February 19th, 2007, 04:01 PM
The only time I went to the States was for a military exercise, and I couldn't even find a chocolate bar. They had this peanut thing....a PayDay I think it was called :shrug:

But they had great coffee (Battle Bean), and the Popeye's Chicken was like heaven :D

raingirl
February 19th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I'm going to Rhode Island in 18 days, i can't wait to hit a Cheesecake Factory and a bath and body works. Oh...and I'm DYING for some Mr. Pip.

Stacer
February 19th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Yeah, that's something I totally notice whenever we're in the States. Bad choc-o-late. And it's hard to find a place that sells tea. No one drinks tea, or at least not to the degree that we do here.
Prin, I have to agree that the chocolate in the UK/Ireland is the best. When I was there I ate a Dairymilk everyday and brought some home with me. mm mm good.

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Stacer, did you ever have a Yorkie? That is the BEST milk chocolate ever! It's so smooth and doesn't burn your throat when you eat too much. :laughing: :cloud9: I miss their Milky bars too (white chocolate). We don't have anything like those here.

Brandy, I'd have to send you some so if you do have the chocolate that I tasted in Vermont, you can see what you're missing. :D

technodoll
February 19th, 2007, 04:48 PM
laura secord chocolate :cloud9: the chocolate french mint squares? oh! :cloud9:

dustybird
February 19th, 2007, 04:50 PM
My boss is a chocoholic and he's from the states. Every year for christmas he get's a box/case of cadbury burnt almond bars, they don't have cadbury in the states. Everytime he is in Canada he stocks up on chocolate to take home. We sell chocolates in our little camp store and our guest's are always oooh you have x chocolate bars I didn't think they made those anymore. Needless to say our guests go through a lot of chocolate and canadain beer( they are all from the states). It is sad that they can't get a decent chocolate or beer(well beer with a % like ours).

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM

omg those are my faves!!! I love the green ones... They used to make those in bars but they stopped for some reason.:frustrated:

technodoll
February 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
yes! YESS!!! those! :cloud9:

no more bars?! :eek: :yell:

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Not the last few times I checked... :o

Hunter's_owner
February 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM

That is the absolute bestest chocolate ever:cloud9: :cloud9:
I have got some mint hot chocolate and it comes close to it....yummmmy...:cloud9: :cloud9:

jesse's mommy
February 19th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Prin, I'll trade you some cookies for some chocolate. :lovestruck:

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 06:32 PM
lol What kind of cookies? And what kind of chocolate? :laughing:

jesse's mommy
February 19th, 2007, 06:46 PM
lol What kind of cookies?

What kind do you like? :D

And what kind of chocolate? :laughing:

The good stuff you were talking about above. :evil:

Byrd
February 19th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Well, I know where I'm going on my next vacation.... Smith Falls!!!! :cloud9:

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM
lol Jesse's mommy, I'll see what I can do. ;)

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM
These look tasty..
http://www.murray-cookies.com/images/main-image-home.jpg
:D

http://www.murray-cookies.com/

jesse's mommy
February 19th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Close, both owned by the same company, but ours are better. Try this one instead: www.keebler.com (Much bigger variety ;) )

technodoll
February 19th, 2007, 07:01 PM
only if they're moist and chewy... :cloud9: ok fine i'll take the crunchy ones too!! :laughing: you ARE sharing with everyone, right? :fingerscr

jesse's mommy
February 19th, 2007, 07:03 PM
If you are giving up chocolate, I'm giving up cookies. :evil: (Oh yeah and IKEA balls. We have no IKEA here yet. :sad: )

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Oo lala! :laughing:

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Any recommendations, Jesse's mommy? I've never had anything Keebler before. :o

Ooo... http://www2.kelloggs.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=1147 :cloud9:

jesse's mommy
February 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I can tell you what any of the products taste like. It depends what you like.

As for the Soft Batch -- yummy! You can put them in the microwave for about 10 seconds and they warm up just like they are out of the oven. :cloud9: Or you can put ice cream in the middle of them and throw them in the freezer and you have ice cream sandwich cookies and the cookies still stay soft.

joeysmama
February 19th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I'm one of those poor Americans !!:sad:

My son has a friend who lives in Slovakia and she sent us all chocolate bars for Christmas. We want him to marry her !! Anyone who understands our chocolate misery is worth welcoming into the family. Hershey's isn't worth the calories in my opinion. It's sandy like Prin said. :yuck:

or baking I buy Tropical Source chocolate chips because it's a better quality--costs me more than the ones in the grocery store but people love my cookies. (blatant brag :rolleyes: ) There's a tea shop in town that has some products, candy bars and such, from the UK. Now I'm going to have to try some of those. Thanks for the tip. We do have Godiva which is good but sooo expensive and I'm not a fan of hazlenut which is in a lot of their boxed stuff.

Mocha's mum. I adore Popeye's !! Their rice and beans are sooo yummy. Fast food--fattening and unhealthy I suppose. :shrug: I like PayDay bars too but they aren't that easy to find where I live. I used to get them in the vending machine at work when I was in college.

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 07:14 PM
ooo... I have to get something for my man though. He's the cookie monster.. His faves are fudgeeos but keebler doesn't make those... So I was thinking those fudge covered caramelly ones... :cloud9:

Ooo and vienna cremes... :cloud9:

jesse's mommy
February 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM
What's a fudgeeo? We might have something similar.

breeze
February 19th, 2007, 07:22 PM
What's a fudgeeo? We might have something similar.

two very chocolaty cookies and the center is very rich like chocolate fudge

jesse's mommy
February 19th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Kind of like a chocolate creme oreo. Sorry, wrong company. :sad:

breeze
February 19th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Kind of like a chocolate creme oreo. Sorry, wrong company. :sad:

yes but very very chocolaty and sweeter

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 07:27 PM
These:
http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/ProductsPromotions/D-F/FUDGEE-OCookies.htm

Am I gonna have to send those too? :laughing:

jesse's mommy
February 19th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Nope, we don't have that here, but I know I've tried cookies just like them. A company called Dare makes them and they are yummy. I'll see if I can find them.

Kristin7
February 19th, 2007, 07:34 PM
:laughing: You have only tried our Hersheys and you say our chocolate sucks? I love chocolate and do not at all like Hersheys bars :yuck: except in S'mores. Not sure what brands I buy, mostly not stuff that is mass produced so much as Hersheys. I don't get it, why are your Hersheys different than ours? No fair (since they apparently are better in Canada)! Also, I drink tea, but yes, am in the minority. Oh well, more tea for me. We do get imported chocolate from Europe, etc, so I buy that sometimes (and stock up whenever I go over). Ghiradelli is pretty good and sold in grocery stores (from San Francisco) as are the many artisan chocolate makers (I love Burdick chocolate). www.BurdickChocolate.com

Also, if you happen upon a Trader Joe's, they have tons of sweets and chocolates. Their dark organic chocolate bars are great! www.traderjoes.com

jesse's mommy
February 19th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Found it:

http://www.darefoodsinc.com/products/cookies/creme.html

Frenchy
February 19th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Prin, I'll trade you some cookies for some chocolate. :lovestruck:

I'll trade you chocolate for ... humm that's a hard one.... cookie dough POP TARTS !!!!

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 07:44 PM
lol Frenchy! Don't steal my idea! I get the cookies! :frustrated: :laughing: If all us low-budget Qcers get together, maybe we can afford one giant caramilk for her. :laughing: :o

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Found it:

http://www.darefoodsinc.com/products/cookies/creme.html

Yeah, those are expensive though.:D They're like a buck more for less... Dare makes great choc chip cookies...:o :cloud9:

Frenchy
February 19th, 2007, 07:49 PM
lol Frenchy! Don't steal my idea! I get the cookies! :frustrated: :laughing: If all us low-budget Qcers get together, maybe we can afford one giant caramilk for her. :laughing: :o

But she gets that stuff for free ;) we are the ones who have to buy the chocolate. And I have a cake box full of it in my fridge :crazy:

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Full of chocolate? :eek:

CyberKitten
February 19th, 2007, 08:16 PM
It is because Caramilk is made by Cadbury which does not market in the US. ((Hard to find Coffee Crisp too but I have found them - they are made by Nestle, Swiss Co.). I like Burnt Almond by Cadbury - I find most of their other chocolate too sweet or something (cannot explain it) - my nephew in the US always wants me to bring Smarties (not the US sour candy type, the Nestle choc candy covered by candy type).

My fav is that square choc bar made by Ritter - white chocilate with hazel nuts, OMG, it is sooo good, lol

jesse's mommy
February 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Actually Cadbury is marketed in the US, but it's not very big. The biggest time for Cadbury is during Easter when they have their Cadbury Eggs. :)

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 08:22 PM
No. No cadbury in the states? No way! What would we do without ANY cadbury at all!? GASP!

phoenix
February 19th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Cadbury is the BEST kind of chocolate for chocolate bars, IMO!

Frenchy
February 19th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I've got the real thing :cloud9:

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 08:58 PM
lol just blurry enough to seem like a dream. :laughing: :cloud9:

breeze
February 19th, 2007, 08:59 PM
oooooooooo 22711

brandynva
February 19th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Darn it Frenchy! You are gonna make me short out my keyboard with drool. ;)

Yes, Cadbury's during easter mainly. I personally don't like the cadbury's eggs. Does Caramilk bars have caramel in them? (I know prolly a stupid question) I loove caramel. Especially the Caramel Delights Girl Scouts cookies. :cloud9: There is a chocolate company that is really good here called See's. I believe they are out of San Fran too. http://www.sees.com/

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 10:26 PM
http://www.caramilk.ca/page.cfm?id=AA1CC7B9-31C7-46A3-BD00-A1EFF7165257
Yep, Brandy they have caramel in them.:) Great caramel.:)

Skryker
February 19th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Ummmmm, chocolate!

I love the Hersey's factory in Smith's Falls! They have a wall of bulk stuff-not just broken bars, but Nuggets of all flavours (I like the toffee chip and almond ones best, like a Symphony bar), Kisses, Jolly Ranchers and Hersey's Pieces, which are like smarties. Oh, and chocolate covered almonds and Bridge Mix. It's a pretty dangerous place. :o

You just have to watch the prices on some stuff, though. It can be cheaper to buy stuff at big stores. :shrug: But where else can you buy a case of Jolly Ranchers? And we can't find 'em anywhere in town.

hazelrunpack
February 20th, 2007, 12:54 AM
blech...Hersheys! :yuck: Not that I have refined tastes...I'm more inclined to Dove dark chocolate than Hersheys... he he he Actually, any dark chocolate appeals to me right now...especially after having hit this thread while I was hungry (insert drooling smiley here...)

I think I'm going to Frenchy's house and raid her chocolate stash! :crazy: :cloud9:

TeriM
February 20th, 2007, 02:02 AM
I agree that the US regular chocolate bars suck :yuck: . All their chocolate bars taste really waxy to me. I do love Ghiradelli and Sees chocolates though that both available in the US :lovestruck: (thank goodness, or I'd never be able to travel down there :D ).

Kristin7
February 20th, 2007, 11:58 AM
We do have Cadbury here. I also find Ritter bars all the time (all kinds) and Lindt imports. Actually, I have not had a problem finding good chocolate here in the States, but do agree many of our mass produced chocolates aren't worth it. If you're going to indulge in chocolate, it HAS to be worth it!! I haven't been able to eat a Hershey's in years. Snickers are good, though and Twix (if you like that cookie crunch and some caramel), but if you just want pure chocolate, stay away from Hersheys and look for something else.

trippincherri
February 20th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Thats too weird hearing you States folk talk about having trouble finding certain chocolate bars while up here in northern NO WHERE Alberta Canada, I can find almost anything I want.
Just last week I stocked up for V-Day with little Coffee Crisp hearts and Ghiradelli hearts, Laura Secord too lol!!
I also bought a ton of Lindor chocolates but :mad: the MAN of the house ate nearly all of them.
Lindor is the best.
I have a friend whose grandmother lives in England and she sends over these gigantic bars of chocolate and they are seriously the best, no wonder half the english have bad teeth...their sweets are just wayyy to good!! :laughing:

BusterBoo
February 20th, 2007, 12:23 PM
The Hershey Store in Smiths Falls is a great place to go, however....it has been announced on the news for the past few weeks that there is a chance it will close. It will be devastating to the village/town of Smiths Falls. There was a problem around Christmas with chocolate that was contaminated. It would be a shame if it closes mainly because it is the biggest "industry" in Smiths Falls....If you want to see the store....

http://www.hersheys.com/discover/smithsfalls.asp

......best chocolate = Toblerone!

Frenchy
February 20th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I think I'm going to Frenchy's house and raid her chocolate stash! :crazy: :cloud9:

I've got this super mean Great Dane guarding the fridge :rolleyes:

trippincherri
February 20th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Ha ha ha Nelly.:laughing:

Skryker
February 20th, 2007, 12:49 PM
The Hershey Store in Smiths Falls is a great place to go, however....it has been announced on the news for the past few weeks that there is a chance it will close. It will be devastating to the village/town of Smiths Falls. There was a problem around Christmas with chocolate that was contaminated. It would be a shame if it closes mainly because it is the biggest "industry" in Smiths Falls....If you want to see the store....

http://www.hersheys.com/discover/smithsfalls.asp

......best chocolate = Toblerone!

Yeah, I heard about this on the news this morning. :sad: It would be a huge blow for Smith's Falls-500 jobs gone. Apparently, Hershey's is restructuring and considering moving the plant to Mexico. Nestle closed their plant in Winchester (about 45 mins from here) last year during restructuring, too.

:fingerscr that Canadian chocolate stays Canadian!

Frenchy
February 20th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Ha ha ha Nelly.:laughing:

Death by licking. :laughing:

Rick C
February 20th, 2007, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=trippincherri;377414]Thats too weird hearing you States folk talk about having trouble finding certain chocolate bars while up here in northern NO WHERE Alberta Canada, I can find almost anything I want.
Just last week I stocked up for V-Day with little Coffee Crisp hearts and Ghiradelli hearts, Laura Secord too lol!!QUOTE]

Americans will soon be - or maybe they already are - enjoying the delightful taste of Coffee Crisp thanks to this gentleman and his magical petition.

http://www.coffeecrisp.org/

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
February 20th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I have a feeling if canadians aren't making the chocolate it won't taste as good. :sad:

Skryker
February 20th, 2007, 01:44 PM
That's what I'm afraid of, too, Prin. That, and I really like Smith's Falls and would hate to see such a small place lose that many jobs. I've seen what happens too much here, as Cornwall has lost something like 2500 jobs over the last year or so. :sad:

Prin
February 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM
That's what is happening all over. I think it's time consumers really took a stand.:sad: Who cares if stuff is cheaper if we have no salaries to buy it with?