Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do your dogs talk to you?

JanM
February 19th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Bobby seldom says a word but Amber - sheesh - she is always talking. When she is being hugged she gets verbal diarrhea.. Its hard to describe but she does an awrr rowr - some high-pitched and some low. When she is tired and is lying down somewhere she has a different sound and all she wants is for me to go over and pat her! Last night Bobby broke the mould though - he went to bed and I was in the living room reading when I heard this funny noise - I went in to see if he was ok - he was so I went back and he started again. This kept up until I went to bed (his bed is at the foot of mine) and as soon as I got into bed - he stopped his noise, lay down and went to sleep!
Do my furballs have me pegged or what?

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 02:02 PM
lol Very cute! :laughing: Jemma talks to me all the time. I even have video of it. :D Boo only says stuff when he really wants something. :cloud9:

(Here's the old video- http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=6905854599289438611 )

technodoll
February 19th, 2007, 02:08 PM
yeah one of them does :D we have whole conversations with him... he loves to sing, arooo, waah waah and a hundred other noises he can come up with. our girl is a mute in the house though :o

Hunter's_owner
February 19th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Hunter talks when he wants something, Cassie says nothing, except when she lets out a beagley howl when you least expect it:rolleyes: lol.

My Uncle has a golden who talks more than any other dog I have ever met. I love it.

Dog Dancer
February 19th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Shadow doesn't talk much, but Halo is a yakker. She mumbles and grumbles and moans all the time. She wants you to pet her, she wants you to feed her, she wants you to come to bed now. She wants to play, she wants Shadow to move, she wants the toy Shadow has, she wants to get past Shadow but Shadow won't move so she'll moan at me to make Shadow move for her. It never ends with that girl - she is a true blabrador!

dogcatharmony
February 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Zoe talks all the time. If you are late for her walk she stands in front of you and does three short barks. if you ignore her she will grumble. If I stay up late she will growl and sigh beside you, like she is saying "it's time for bed". She talks to the cats lots too.......but not much gets said back, cats are classic for that " WTH are you talking about" look.

JanM
February 19th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Prin - I laughed out loud at your video - it's priceless. Doggie talk is something to behold - and imagine what non-dog people are missing!

doggy lover
February 19th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Tucker seldom barks a true bark, what normaly comes out of him mouth are rooo sounds and ufffs. Only if you really ignor him he will let a big bark go. Ha Ha

JanM
February 19th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Hey Dog Dancer - I thought Bobby was the only one who complained about the other one being in the way! He groans and moans too if he wants to get past Amber - he wants me to come and move her! Dogs are a hoot!

breeze
February 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Bree (barks) talks to me when I stay in bed to long she can be very vocal at times.

Karen D
February 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM
This is so cool.
Dogs I believe do talk. I have 7 and when I talk to them they do reply, especially my male mix lab. Lucky, I will ask him what and he talks then barks, I say talk nice and he replys......... now if I understood him it would be so awesome..... I guess preety much he's excited and loves to be verbal.
I also have cats, and I have one I swear meows and I say to him say Mama and he does or give me a kiss and they do.
I have my 4 legged kids whom are such a big part of my family!
Those who are pet lovers I find are Geniune people.............
how boring would life be without our BEST FRIENDS!
To all my pets...... and pet fans,
With much Love and hugs, Karen
PS I have no idea how this all works and hope I can get back to this page.
:goodvibes:

Mocha's mum
February 19th, 2007, 04:04 PM
When my roommate was still here, she'd bring her dogs for a visit (they live with dad in Cold Lake). Her white fluffy (I don't know what breed she is) baby Tonka would "back talk" all the time. It was throaty like a growl but she'd kind of bark and howl at the same time. It's so hard to describe, but priceless to hear!!

TKW
February 19th, 2007, 04:46 PM
My lab is talkative too. I just played Prin's video and he is barking & howling along. My daughter used to play opera clips on her computer and he howls along too. He didn't bark much before he was 6 mo. old. Just whine, howl & whimper etc. But now if he couldn't get his message across, like: I am crossing my legs bad, let me out, he barks.

It seems to me a few labs on this board here are talkative. Is it a coincident or breed specific?

BTW, I know he doesn't like piano. He would walk out of the room when somebody is playing the piano. I usually told my kids its a indication of how badly they play. Nice parent, huh! LOL

PetFriendly
February 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Charley talks to me but he uses doggy sign language. If I'm not paying attention, he'll come over a poke my leg with his nose. If he thinks he's done something well he'll put his paw up for a high 5.

My cat will actually talk and tell me all about her day or night, and will respond with cat version of the dog noises described by other to any question or statement made while looking at her.

OntarioGreys
February 19th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Maya is my talker, especially when she want me to go off to bed with to sleep with her, or she is hungry and wants her dinner, I am bored I want to play

Nikki is just wound up vocal when ever she get excited about something but it is not the same as with Maya who is actual trying to telling what she wants, Sunny talks to me as well but mostly to let me know he wants outside

Byrd
February 19th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Willow thinks she can talk people, but it just comes out as doggy sounds. We will actually have conversations. Most find it funny, my family finds her talking annoying (They say she's too noisy) :shrug: . Apparently this is an Aussie thing.

brandynva
February 19th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Mileva whines whenever she wants something. She is a very effective communicator actually. Roscoe grunts a whole lot. The other night when I didn't go to bed on time he actually laid beside me and growled and would pace to the gate to downstairs and growl some more. So cute. :cloud9:

Spirit
February 19th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I call that "storytime". I LOVE storytime!

When he gets REALLY excited (usually when he first greets someone he really likes, or when my roommate comes home), he'll run and grab a toy and proceed to wigglebum and "talk" to them. Though the talking is more like really heavy whining, combined with some squeeking noises, then more whining or moaning... there's no barking whatsoever (completely unlike Prin's video - CUTE, btw!!), just tons of talking.

I'll often say "Storytime! What? Really? Noooooo! Get out of here! I don't think so... really? No REALLY? Oh my goodness! Wow..." If i seem into the story, he'll "talk" with more emotion. If I can figure out how to get it on video and upload it to here, I'll do it. The problem is that the video file sizes are always huge (even short little clips). :mad:

JanM
February 19th, 2007, 10:52 PM
that sounds just like Amber - she has to have something in her mouth to greet someone - then she talks up a storm - but only with someone she knows and likes - if she doesn't know someone she won't talk to them... She wiggles and squiggles too - it's hilarious!

TeriM
February 20th, 2007, 02:28 AM
If I can figure out how to get it on video and upload it to here, I'll do it. The problem is that the video file sizes are always huge (even short little clips). :mad:

Post the video to photobucket or google (?) and then link it.

TeriM
February 20th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Lucy is usually only vocal when she wants something. She growls and barks at hubby (he lost the control battle a looonnngggg time ago :D ) to feed her and she will grumble at ya sometimes if she wants to play and is being ignored.

Riley is getting more and more vocal each month. He likes to talk back to me when I give him a command. He does what he is told but grumbles about it the whole time :) .

Quins-mum
February 20th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Yep, Quin is very chatty, especially when he know's he is going for a swim. My dad only needs to show him the harmonica, and he's singing.
My cat, Lexie is also very chatty, she announces that she is entering the room ((she is the Queen of the house) with a MMMmmmMMMM.

angeldogs
February 20th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Jag barks.And Ben if he is doing something he shouldn't be doing and you tell him to stop.he does the awrr rowr.he likes to back talk that boy.

Dogastrophe
February 20th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Lucy, besides her repetoire of barks, has about 4 different howls that she talks to us with. She only howls in the house, generally when she is sitting in front of us. She has her 'pay attention, I'm about to be stupid' howl, her 'look what I have' howl, and her 'I need to go pee really really really bad' howl.

Jack doesn't talk to us much, just the odd bark to go out. He does bark going down the stairs in the morning, but only if we are right behind him. I think it is his 'announcement' bark.

Monty (RIP buddy) never said a word to us. His 'talk' was a silent stare, which prompted our series of questions "do you need to go out", "do you want on the couch", "are you looking for a treat", "are you sure you don't need to go out", etc.

We are still trying to figure out Gracie with her collection of purrs and meows.

Spirit
February 20th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Post the video to photobucket or google (?) and then link it.

I know how (and where) to upload it... the problem is the file size. Do you know how to compress a video to like... 10% of it's original size? lol

mummummum
February 20th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Ceili talks about everything...and I do mean everything. She woke me up at 4:30 this morning because she was thirsty and didn't want to get off the bed to get a drink. And even from dead asleep, I knew exactly what she wanted. Just like I know when Bridie has hogged all the bones or Declan won't get out of the way. Declan is funny in that he purrs when he's getting the lovin's. But Bridie is the strangest. If she wants to go out and I'm in the room, she will stand behind me or beside me and staring intently blow hard through her nose until she gets my attention. Or when she sees me getting the frisbee and balls out, she let's out this keening tremolo ~ almost like a siren.

Love the Bossy Jemma video Prin ~ we hear that on occasion here as well.

Smiley14
February 20th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I know how (and where) to upload it... the problem is the file size. Do you know how to compress a video to like... 10% of it's original size? lol

:offtopic: :sorry:

What is your file type and file size? There are file conversion programs you can download or you can import into Moviemaker and save as an AVI or WMV file type instead..if the original source is compatible with WMM. Often converting reduces file size. I converted my 3 minute music video I made for my niece from MPEG-2 to AVI to burn onto DVD, then imported the 900MB AVI file into WMM and resaved to a 20MB WMV file so I could also share online. I use a couple different conversion programs or WMM, depending on the source file and what I want it to be instead. Home videos file types typically range from DV-AVI to MPEG.

Smiley14
February 20th, 2007, 10:27 PM
And now for a more ontopic post. :)

Petey and Billy are both talkers, lol. But Petey rarely actually barks, other than when he catches his reflection in a mirror. HA! Silly dog. But he communicates all the time with grunts and groans and whines. Soft ones, annoyed ones, impatient ones, excited ones...he's always talking! Between that and his very obvious body language, he's pretty easy to read. :)

Billy is a huge talker. He meows at everything! He has several ranges he uses. If he's talking back to me or wants attention, it's quite soft and dainty. But if he wants his food, it's a howling and loud MEOW over and over again. But he's kind enough to at least wait until I'm awake and stepping out of bed before he begins. But the minute I rise, he starts up. :) LOL! Too sweet. :lovestruck:

Skryker
February 20th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Bronwyn is our talker-whines, grumbles, barks, sighs. She does the toy/wigglebum routine, too, and tries to bark around the toy or give kisses with the toy in her mouth. The funniest is what I call the "ghurffffff", the HUGE grumbling, groaning sigh she gives as she settles down to sleep. She fills her lungs first, and then lets out this long, long noise that starts loud and gets quiet as she runs out of air.

Fingal doesn't talk as much, but he tend to be louder and more insistent when he does. It's mostly barking to say "Gimme!!!" or whining to get my attention if I'm in the kitchen or the computer room. He sighs under the kitchen door if I'm out there cooking :rolleyes: and he's shut out.

Dancer uses the power purr to communicate and rarely meows.:shrug: To each, their own!

Spirit
February 20th, 2007, 10:45 PM
What is your file type and file size?

My favorite puppy one is 38 seconds, AVI, 76mb. I guess I should try converting it to wmv! Thanks!

AliSam
February 20th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Sam speaks to us. We usually have to talk to him first though unless there is food around.

JanM
February 21st, 2007, 12:09 AM
Bronwyn sounds like a Golden - is she? Amber is a Golden - and wiggles and squiggles and talks with her stuffed toy in her mouth - it's a blast watching her!

Skryker
February 21st, 2007, 09:12 AM
Bronwyn is a lab/rottie cross-a "labweiler" or a "rottador" :D (an oops! occasion where her mother was supposedly safely shut away in a kennel but the neighbour's Rottie didn't find a 5 foot fence much of a barrier:rolleyes: ), so she has the lab vocalizations AND the rottie grumbles!

Frenchy
February 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM
Bailey growls,then rooorooos and than barks when he's happy or when he's "asking" me or the other dogs to play with him. :D

H.P.
February 21st, 2007, 08:11 PM
Sydney talks a little, it is getting more frequent, I think she is still learning the language, Jo the cat talks all the time.