Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mouse issue...

Mocha's mum
February 19th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Well, I'm seriously considering buying a house to get rid of my neighbors. Two years ago (three in August), I bought a condo close to my work. I got in at the 'eleventh hour', because a few months after I bought, the market exploded.

Things here have been great. Except for my neighbor always leaving his garbage out. So now, there's a little mouse that has built a nest on the west side of my patio, and scoots across frequently to the east side to snack on the garbage left out there. I don't blame the little critter; I'd do it too!

The problem is that there's droppings all over the place, and I don't like to go out on my patio anymore, let alone let my dog out there. I smoke outside, so I'll bring Mocha out with me (when it's warm) so he can lie on the mat and soak up some rays. But now that there's little poopies all over the place....I really don't think it's all that safe.

I've approached these people a number of times and explained the situation. I've always had nothing but good feedback from them, and they'll clean up the garbage for a few days, and then it accumulates. I've gone to the property manager, and it's the same thing.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions to deal with this problem. I'm trying to be civil here, but I've just about had it. This has been ongoing for months, and I'm losing my temper. On the other hand....it may just be the push for Kris and I to buy our own place....:shrug:

Maxine
February 19th, 2007, 10:54 AM
maybe a garbage can like rubbermaid make? you know, it's big, strong plastic and has a cover? I thing that might help, no? Hopefully you will find a solution :goodvibes:

Maxine

dogcatharmony
February 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM
You're property manager doesn't care if their garbage is attracting rodents???? I would get a humane trap, catch the little critter and let him loose in a field. Then I would have a huge talk with the manager.......take pics if you can maybe talk to a health inspector.

chico2
February 19th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Where there is one mouse,there will soon be many:eek:
They are cute little guys,at least I think so,but before you know it,they might be in the house.
The only solution is to eliminate his foodsupply,he will soon be gone..I feed my squirrels peanuts off my deck and I have seen little mice coming for a peanut in the middle of the day.
I would tell your neighbors to get Rubber Maid containers to keep the garbage in.
Or one of those deck-boxes,I have one,it can take 4 garbage-bags,if need be.

Mocha's mum
February 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM
You're property manager doesn't care if their garbage is attracting rodents????

I'm starting to think that. Apparently they've sent a letter, which clears up the problem for a few days but then it's back to the same old garbage pile. I've been over there several times and suggested a garbage container. But, it hasn't happened as of yet. The problem is trying to get a hold of these people. The husband is away for most of the day and is home at strange hours (I think he owns a restaurant), and the wife won't answer the door because she doesn't speak English.

I know that the droppings can be harmful to people (Hanta virus), does it work that way for dogs too? That's the big issue that I'm concerned about. I went out and cleaned the patio with bleach on Saturday(lucky for me it was warm this weekend :thumbs up ), but there's more droppings there today.

I'm going to go over to Canadian tire and find a trap for the little guy. I don't believe in killing the poor thing; it's not his fault he's here...he's looking for food and shelter. I just want to eliminate the potential for illness here...for both humans and the furkids.

TeriM
February 20th, 2007, 02:28 AM
OK, I may be in the minority here. I would set the trap. If you can get a humane one then great :thumbs up but droppings can post a serious health risk so do what you need. I agree with the others that pics and another talk with the manager are necessary. Even if you decide to move then it will still be months and it will only get worse in the warmer weather.

jesse's mommy
February 20th, 2007, 06:27 AM
I would take the pictures, show them to the property manager and basically threaten him. Say, you do something about this or I'm going to the health inspector and will report you. But then, I'm very b*tchy when it comes to stuff like this. :o

trippincherri
February 20th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Yes set a trap for now to at least get rid of Mr.Mousey, humane or otherwise it doesn't matter just remove him from the problem. Otherwise soon you'll have Mrs. Mousey and her babies living there too.
Where there is an easy source of food there is going to be a mouse, trust me I have experience in this department. :rolleyes:
Sweep off your deck (wear a mask if you want just in case because it is the dust from the feces that causes Hanta Virus) if you want to thoroughly sterilize it mop it down with some bleach water,Bleach will kill anything!
And wear gloves when handling anything the mouse touched, until you have everything cleaned of course.

I don't think dogs can catch hanta virus since my parents dogs hunt them and eat them all the time, plus you'd think you would hear a case of cats getting hanta virus if it was contagious to animals right?

I would keep recommending the rubbermaid bins to you neighbours since they are rodent proof.

And when and if you do catch the mouse reset the trap and leave it out there, maybe put it up when your dogs outside though :D , also REALLY good tip here: put peanut butter on the end of your trap, no mouse can resist peanut butter!

Hope you figure out your mouse issue!!

Mocha's mum
February 20th, 2007, 05:25 PM
So, I caught the little guy sometime lastnight/early morning. So, after I took his royal highness for his morning business, I released the little guy across the back road behind Canadian Tire. I found a little patch that wasn't too snowy (which is hard to do at 0500!!) and let him free, praying he wouldn't run up my leg! :laughing:

I sent an e-mail to the property manager and the condo board president about the situation, and when I came home from work I had a reply that they were going to send a letter :rolleyes:

But...the garbage was gone. :thumbs up And lucky for me the car was there, so I went over (in uniform...hee hee) just to say thank you for cleaning up the mess, and that I caught a mouse lastnight. I also informed the guy that he could get a rubbermaid container like the one I have, for his garbage. I explained to him that they were really inexpensive (around $10) and very handy, especially when it came time to empty them out (because they have wheels). The guy was really responsive to my comments (was it the uniform??) and actually went to Canadian Tire and bought two! He just got back five minutes ago! Yay!! Victory!!

In the meantime, I do have the trap reset and ready to go for anymore little visitors. I feel a little better to know that one little mousey is gone...but like trippincherri said, soon there would be a Mrs and babies...I hope it hasn't gone that far yet...

Now, for the clean up duty....I have to go buy more bleach (I think I over did it last time). Better to be safe than sorry!!

wdawson
February 20th, 2007, 08:37 PM
do you have a condo board of directors....if you do then bring it up at the meetings.....also complain about the property manager.

Maxine
February 21st, 2007, 08:07 AM
awesome!:thumbs up i'm glad everything went well about the mouse and garbage issue!! I too hope there is no pregnant Minnie mouse...:fingerscr

Maxine

Mocha's mum
February 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM
I haven't seen anything for a few days....mouse or poopies.

:fingerscr

Here's to hoping!!