Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescued B&T Coonhound - Scared of everything!

Srose1982
February 19th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Back in September, my boyfriend and I adopted a 4-mth old B&T Coonhound from the B&T Coonhound rescue league in Ohio.
Beau is now 9 months old.
Inside the apartment, he's a little terror. However, outside our apartment walls is a totally different story.
He feels totally insecure. He doesn't let strangers anywhere near him. In the elevator, he'll end up hiding behind me to avoid any contact. Once we get outside, he cowers at every little sound. So much so that sometimes he won't even go to the bathroom. He usually pulls to go right back in. And forget taking him for walks! I think the poor pup might have a heart attack some day.
Beau might have been through something traumatic before we adopted him at 4 mths. Poor thing... Is there anyway to break him of this "bad" habit?

technodoll
February 19th, 2007, 11:45 AM
yes... socialize him to death and do not give into his "fears", or you will end up with an unpleasant dog to live with, some even turn into fear-biters :eek:

have him meet some of your friends outside, in a quiet park for example, and have them pet him, give him some of his favorite treats for being a good boy. slowly introduce him to new sights and sounds, do not encourage his fears by cooing over him, petting him and saying "it's ok" - dogs see you as reasuring them it's ok to act like this, nothing else. ignore his behavior, put a happy encouraging voice on (like "oh come on, you're silly, it's nothing! let's GO!). carry treats and praise when he takes a few steps on his own.

more great tips and info:

http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/bf_training_19.cfm

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_Shy.php

good luck! :dog:

we3beagles
February 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM
But don't stress him out too much. Give your friends the treats and coax him over, but under no circumstances lead him over if he does not want to go. This will give him even more anxiety over meeting new people. Go slowly and remember that he is timid and unsocialized. Give him treats for every step closer he takes, but when he starts showing stress back off and try again in a few minutes. Build up his comfort zone slowly and he will be socialized in no time.
Just ignore any sounds he starts at. Eventually he will learn they are of no consequence and will ignore them. Keep walking and looking for a place to pee. The timidness doesn't mean he went through anything traumatic. Just that no one took any time to make sure he was properly socialized.

~michelle~
February 21st, 2007, 07:22 PM
how is he with other dogs? Braxton was scared of everything and unaware he was a dog when we got him.... totally poorly treated and undersocialized. i found having a gentle dog for him to observe helped him to try more things