Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How come there is no way to stop this???

billyp
February 19th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I went to my local pet store yesterday and there was a Boxer picture on the entrance door so I thought someone was selling the dog or that it had been lost. The picture shown a boxer bitch which was v ery cute but wasnt anything near beeing breeding material...
Now you know where I'M going it wasnt a lost dog or anything the owner was looking for a male to breed her.
I mean I would expect seeing this kind of ad anywhere but in a place where they are suposed to love animals.
I talked to a salesperson about it and you could see she was almost laughing at me when she told me ''Well if people don'T breed where do you expect dogs to come from?''
Needless to say I am not supporting this store anymore and I let the person know that I'm rescuing dogs at my local shelter eversince I remember because of breeder like that and that I'm never gonna buy a puppy from a reputable breeder until all the shelter dogs have been rescued...which probably means never :(
That's how I let her know that only a reputable breeder who knows what breeding implies should breed not any brokea*s person who probably thinks she's gonna make a living out of her bitch :(:shrug:

Golden Girls
February 19th, 2007, 01:24 PM
A pet store doesn't have a stamp logo saying they love animals. Their only being is supplying whatever the demand is. I'm not surprised there was a sign advertising a female boxer looking for a male :shrug: just as I'm not surprised how people support breeders. Everyone has a license to breed whatever ... free for all!

Education is the only way this will ever even put a dent in our uneducated world we live in. Good for you for voicing your opinion :thumbs up

Scott_B
February 19th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I think its important to support the correct breeders. Not the back yard ones, or the ones who turn out 15 litters a year. But the ones who are in it to better the breed. The ones who are registered with the CKC/AKC. The ones who try the make the breed healthier and stronger. And are not in it for the money or just because they want their precious pooch to have cute puppies. These are the breeders who we should support.

i_have_too_many
February 19th, 2007, 03:12 PM
You want to know why there is no way to stop this?? Here is your answer $$$$. Those people are obviously in it just for the money, I do not know Boxers well, but I would know a good one to see it. I am sure it was not a good rep. for the breed, just am I am pretty sure it was not papered. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who do not care about papers, they only want the cheepest dog they can get of that breed, so that encourages BYB, since they are able to sell the puppies for much less than those who actually know what they are doing. It is very :frustrated:

Another example, same idea. My hubby went to this friend's place, he breeds labs. There was a female there for stud service, when my husband saw her he was quite surprised. Now he does not attend as many shows as I do, so he does not know what the standard really requires, but he was able to tell that she did not fit. When he questioned our friend about why he was willing to breed to this dog, his reply was "hey it's 400 bucks". Sadly here is yet another litter of poor quality puppies who will be born for all the wrong reasons.

Billyp I will bet that in 4 months you will see another sign on that window advertising boxer puppies for sale, and people will think, "oh how cute, lets get one of those, they're only $x"

dustybird
February 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Unfortunately I see those and simmilar ads everywhere, grocery store's, any pet/pet supply store etc...wherever people are allowed to post free ads. It's really sad, you know if you could talk with these people they still wouldn't get it, it's all about money. Responsible breeders don't make any money off their dogs and if they do make some it goes staight back into the dogs.

I have a hard time supporting any breeder, I know there are good ones out there I have met one, and if they were all like her..fantastic. I have also met one who was awful...and he is a CKC Judge.

I really wish our government would care more about all animals, I know laws have gotten a little tougher but it's not good enough.

Oh and a good breeder wouldn't post ads in the newspaper or on free boards in stores. Then again a reputable breeder should be willing to show you all of their facilities, if they are trully passionate about what they do etc... they should have nothing to hide.

I don't have a dog but someday....and it will be from a shelter and will most likely be a senior.

OntarioGreys
February 19th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who do not care about papers, they only want the cheepest dog they can get of that breed, so that encourages BYB, since they are able to sell the puppies for much less than those who actually know what they are doing. It is very

It is not even that, I have seen a lot of BYB ads for crested selling for a lot more than I paid thru a breeder, a lot of the byb charge a lot more than a breeder does for a pet quality pup especially true of the small breeds or rarer breeds, and many people will rather go to them and pay more, than have a reputable breeder do a screening on them to be approved to purchase and risk getting rejected or tell them what foods to feed and what health care they must provide, and that is also the reason many will not go thru a rescue and would rather buy a pup from a byb, because having the dollars is really the only qualifications you need

billyp
February 19th, 2007, 07:24 PM
i don'T think we will be enough people on this earth to educate the uneducated...
And I can't believe the government isnt doing anything about it.
What is even less understandable is that everytime we see in the local paper or on the news that a puppy mill has been busted everyone seems to agree that this practice was cruel and unfair however they are the same ppl that go the next day buy a puppy from one of these BYB...
I'd love to see reputable and honest breeder make money, selling their dog what they are worth. I'd be the first one tomorrow morning buying a good quality puppy from a breeder regardless of the price if they werent any dogs left to be save in shelters....

Golden Girls
February 19th, 2007, 09:23 PM
i don'T think we will be enough people on this earth to educate the uneducated...it's very hard to educate the public when AKC signs contracts with Petland (Hunte Corporation) better knows as puppy millers. Way to go :mad:

It's pretty bad when the owner of my old neighborhood pet store asked me just last week what can he do about the guy who supplies him his puppies. He honestly said he can't sleep for what he sees. It just doesn't get worst than this :sad: