Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shop Vac for dog hair

JanM
February 18th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Does anyone use a Shop Vac for vacuuming dog hair? They are on sale right now and I'm thinking of getting one. I did get a pretty good vacuum cleaner and it does a wonderful job for regular stuff but it takes about 20 minutes to clean the filter of dog hair.

There was a thread a while ago and Dysan was rated as very good but it's out of my range so I'm wondering about the good ole shop vac..

Prin
February 18th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I have the tiny shop vac (the $30 one). The bigger one is better... Mine is too small and the end of the hose gets clogged because the hair jams against the filter. But I've borrowed the bigger one for renos and stuff and it's great! :) You just have to watch where it blows because it blows a LOT.:o

JanM
February 18th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks, Prin - I was considering the $30 one - the next one up is $80 but it has a 2 hp motor, 2 extension wands and is higher capacity - so, that settles that - it won't be the smaller one!

jesse's mommy
February 18th, 2007, 01:37 PM
My childhood dog loved when my dad would shop vac him. My dad would just run the hose down his back and Snooper was in heaven. :cloud9:

Caite
February 18th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I shelled out for the Dyson "Animal" and it's really good. And no filters!!! I know that it's pricey, but Costco had them on for quite a bit cheaper than normal last time I was there. I can't remember the price, but it might be worth checking out?

I would say that the biggest problem with a shop vac is that it blows out everything that wasn't caught by the filter out it's rear for the first few seconds after you turn it on.

JanM
February 18th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I did it - I got the 5 gal shop vac and tried it out - not bad, not bad at all! Picked up lots of hair - and sand and mud and all those other goodies wet, dirty dogs track in! Thanks again, Prin..

Prin
February 18th, 2007, 10:45 PM
:highfive: Cool. I'm glad you like it. :)