Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Snowhazard for outdoor cats

chico2
February 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM
This morning I saw through the window,a black cat walking on the side of the street
The huge snowpiles at the side of the streets and deep snow,makes it impossible for any little cat to walk anywhere else.
What would he do if chased by a dog,coyote or anything else?
No way could he escape in the deep snow,if a little cat could fly,it would be ok,but unfortunately they can't.
Just another real danger for cats left out to roam:evil:

Frenchy
February 18th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I can't wait for the day where people understand to NOT let their cat roam free outside. :frustrated:

Golden Girls
February 18th, 2007, 09:49 AM
I too don't understand people who don't think :confused: My landlord who lives next door rescued two cats from the SPCA allows them free roaming ... even in my backyard. So far I've been really careful before opening the back door but one day (I hope not gawwd) :shrug: Bet he'll blame me though :frustrated: One really thing is they both wear lil bells so most times I hear them. They are really sweet cats and very friendly, maybe a tad too friendly.

I know what you mean Chico, poor :cat: 's :fingerscr

Prin
February 18th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Poor kitties! I'm lucky in my neighborhood we only see one or two once in a while... :fingerscr

CyberKitten
February 18th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Me too - I don't get it why people allow their cats to roam. They would not allow their small children roam - and some of the same ppl leash their dogs when they walk them. Makes no sense at all....

chico2
February 18th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Luckily we too don't see any strays,I know where they live(beeing nosy),but that does not make it any better:sad:
I get the feeling,cats are disposable to many people,loose one and you just get another,instead of thinking of them as companions who will hopefully be with you for up to 20yrs.

Skryker
February 18th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I hate seeing cats run loose! Poor things are so susceptible to danger. Other animals, cars, mean people, bad food....it just makes me mad when people are clueless and talk about how "cruel" it is to keep cats indoors. Yeah, so mean and unfeeling to have an indoor cat that lives for 20 years instead of an outdoor cat that lives for 4 years. :mad:

Byrd
February 18th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I totally agree. One of our neighbour's cats keeps coming in our yard and taunting Willow, it's lucky Willow is chained, but same thing... one day. There was one hit the other day down the street, poor little thing :rip: . I wish there would be a leash law for cats too, that way maybe these people would smarten up.

tarasmom
February 18th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I have to agree, I have a neighbor who's cat raoms free. She has torn apart our hot tub cover( will cost us over $500 to replace), and be assured she (owner)wont take responsibility for it!
They got another kitten over a year ago and although they wanted to keep it indoors, the other cat was always going out and kitten( at that time aged about 6 months) got out. of course the couldnt find her anywhere. Saddly about 4 months after she disapeared my son went under our deck to get some firewood and found what remaind of the poor thing. We have no idea what happened to her( I suspect she may have been hit by a car or attacked by another animal and went under there for refuge and died there) It sure wasnt a very nice thing to find under MY deck.

Skryker
February 18th, 2007, 04:33 PM
No, not nice at all. We've found dead cats in our garage a few times now.:sad: And I had to remove a half grown kitten from our driveway this summer because a tom cat came by and removed the competition. I cried for hours afterwards. :sad: Poor little guy.

chico2
February 18th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Also,the unfortunate things is,not only for the poor cat,but for the person that happens to find a dead or wounded cat:sad:
I cried the whole day,when a beautiful Calico was found dead on the road,at the end of my drive-way.
When I told the owner,the HS had already taken the dead cat,he just said ok,thank's!:yell:

Frenchy
February 18th, 2007, 05:07 PM
There was stray cats at my neighbor's since I moved here (remember I took in their kittens once :sad: ) well, I haven't seen the cats this winter. :sad: They usually hang out on his patio. When I moved here, I found a skull under my patio, I took it to my vet to know what it was , it was from a cat. :sad:

chico2
February 18th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Frenchy,things like that just makes me sooo sad,cats are wonderful,intelligent little animals.
Just like dogs,they need to be nurtured,loved and cared for...I love my cats with all my heart,never in a million years would they go outside on their own:cat:

Frenchy
February 18th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I know , I would never think about letting Monsieur le chat go outside, even if I have a fence, he could found a way out, I won't take that chance. Being an ex street cat, it surprises me that he has NO desire to go outside since he's here. I did bought a harness and leash for him. I tried once and he was ok with the harness but not with the leash. I will try again next spring, but if he doesn't want too, he'll stay inside. It will be his decision :cat:

Skryker
February 18th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I know , I would never think about letting Monsieur le chat go outside, even if I have a fence, he could found a way out, I won't take that chance. Being an ex street cat, it surprises me that he has NO desire to go outside since he's here. I did bought a harness and leash for him. I tried once and he was ok with the harness but not with the leash. I will try again next spring, but if he doesn't want too, he'll stay inside. It will be his decision :cat:

Dancer didn't want to have anything to do with outside for a long time after she came in. :cat: Even now, it's only about 2-3 times a year she wants to go out-and as soon as a gust of wind hits her, she's done. Time to go in!

chico2
February 19th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Yes,mine will all line up,ready for their collars,eager to go out...get REALLY excited when I put my coat on and open the patio-door..then they make one round-trip around the pool,where there is no snow,straight back to the patio-door:laughing:
But they still want to go outside every day,the wind seem to bother them more than anything,as it does me.