Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My first dog

meb999
February 17th, 2007, 04:26 PM
My dad just sent me this (it's not the best quality...) but still, it made all mushy inside.

This is me and Samson, my first dog. He died a couple of months after we bought him (from distemper -- he was a pet-store puppy). He was a lhasa-apso (at least that's what they told us!)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/samson.jpg

Anyone else have pictures of their first pet?

Frenchy
February 17th, 2007, 04:29 PM
you guys looked cute together ! I have one but it's framed and on my wall. It was my great aunt dog but I spent the summer with him cuz I was at the cottage. He was my best friend ; Pup , a black cocker spaniel who died of distemper also :rip:

erykah1310
February 17th, 2007, 04:37 PM
This is my first dog Petty. Picture is blurry , but I took it with a cheap disposable kids camera when i was 8 or so... lol
And the ever so unhappy cat is Pussywillow he ( or she im not so sure) was my first ever cat.

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Ooo great idea!

Meb you look sooo happy! I'd give my kid a dog to make them smile like that.:o

meb999
February 17th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I had been beggin' my parents for a dog since I could talk! So yeah, I was happy -- then devestated when he passed... I can't believe that was almost 20 years ago :eek:

ERYKAH -- Petty and Pussywillow are very cute :lovestruck:

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Ok, here are my two...

This is my newf (but she has a really long nose for a newf), Sheeba, who we inherited at 6 years old when a friend of my dad's died. She lived with us till she was 16. :) (My two bros are in the pic)
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Boo%20baby%20pics/IMG_6788.jpg

And Tara the dobie from the SPCA. I'm the little person on the far right.:D Check out the decor! :laughing: Tara died at 7 of liver cancer.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Boo%20baby%20pics/IMG_6790.jpg

erykah1310
February 17th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Oooooh the insanity!!!!!:eek: three young children left with an evil evil Doberman..... :rolleyes:
( sorry I couldnt resist.... I really hope everyone can find the ultimate sarcasm in that lol)

Very cute "first" pets everyone... keep em coming!!

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 06:36 PM
lol She was the sweeeetest. She would sneak up on my bed some nights to keep me company. :cloud9: When I was little, my doggies were always bigger than me.:D

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 06:37 PM
lol I just realized how unhappy we look compared to Meb's pic. :laughing: :o

erykah1310
February 17th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Ya Meb seems way more excited then you do... but her puppy was brand new:cloud9:

I cant get over my cat... poor thing:sad: my cuz and I were fighting over who got to hold him ( or her)

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 06:49 PM
This thread is hard eh? Brings back all sorts of memories... :o

erykah1310
February 17th, 2007, 06:55 PM
It sure does, I had Petty for 16 years :eek: she was a stray that wandered into our yard, and I spent my whole day in the back yard with her petting her ( Hence the name Petty) :lovestruck:
My dad said I couldnt keep her.:sad: cause we didnt have any food for her ( nice attempted excuse dad :rolleyes: ) I kept telling him " We can just give her some balogna and milk dad" he said NO!
The next morining he got up for work and she was still laying in the flower bed outside the house so he put her up in the garage with a bed, and came home with Dog food!:D We kept her for 16 years, she was approx a year old when she came to us... FULLY trained. Must have been a drop off:sad: no one ever looked for her or called for her. ( Bonus for me!)

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM
For me, it's what the dogs meant to me- in the first pic, my mom was still around (hence the haircuts on my bros) and in the second one she was gone already (hence my dad wasn't in the pic). Without my two big doggies looking out for me, I probably wouldn't be here. :o

CyberKitten
February 17th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I cannot find a picture of Sandy, our husky we had when I was a child but here are the first kittens I rescued when I was maybe 7 at my grandmother's. I took the picture so blame the poor quality on the fact I was young, it was an told Kodak "Brownie" camera and I was prob excited, lol

I will have to ask my folks if they have any pict of out first dog and our first cat, Puff. (a "stray" mama cat who gave birth to Blackie). I have Blackie somewhere and will find that photo and post it one of these days.

Note they are all polys- polydactyl!!

Frenchy
February 17th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Those are cute pics ! You guys look so cute as kids. My dad didn't want us to have a dog. He finally agreed when I was about 10-11 years old. We got Puppy , a blond cocker but not long after my sister moved with her bf and took the dog with her. That is why I want many dogs in my house now.

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Aww, I'm sorry you lost your doggy, Frenchy! :grouphug: I only went a week without a dog till I was 20... My dad always wanted us to have dogs. We always had two.:cloud9:

OntarioGreys
February 17th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Not the first pets, sadly I don't have pictures

But here is Chippy
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/mleg2001/PDVD_000.jpg

Red a redbone coonhound
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/mleg2001/PDVD_012.jpg

Duke a bluetick
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/mleg2001/PDVD_015.jpg

And then some dogs others may have seen on TV if they watched to original
The Littlest Hobo

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/mleg2001/PDVD_013.jpg

I wish I had the picture of me sitting and petting Clarence the cross-eye lion, guess I need to ask my dad if he can find it

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Did you own the littlest hobo dog? Or did you meet him? It would have been so cool to own the littlest hobo...:o

OntarioGreys
February 17th, 2007, 10:25 PM
No I did not own, but went to see them twice when they came to Kitchener, the owner of them was fantastic, one of the first to try and teach his audiences about positive dog training techniques, so I used his training methods with Red and Duke, Red wasn't all that bright but Duke loved learning and really picked up things easy

billyp
February 17th, 2007, 10:27 PM
this is Roxy...my 1st boxer...she lived with me for 3 mths and died at the age of 6 mth :( she came from a rescue (i always rescued dogs never had one from a breeder)

CyberKitten
February 17th, 2007, 10:58 PM
So are kittens not allowed? All dog lovers here? I know you are allergic Prin. Should I start a new thread? Sorry if I posted in the wrong place. It is not that I expect a response but it just seems it is an only dogs allowed as first pets. I hope my folks have a pict of out Siberian Husky- he was so gorgeous!! He was killed by a car 0- in our own driveway - speaking of the indoor - outdoor cat issue. It was utterly heartbreaking - we buried him in the back yard and I can recall my mom saying, no more dogs, sigh!

Anyway - I'll try to find a picture. I muss the kittens too tho, lol

TeriM
February 17th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Hmmmmm, goes rushing off to dig for old pics .....

Great pics everyone :lovestruck: .

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 11:10 PM
lol CK, I'm not allergic.:D (My man is). I'm sure kittens are fine. Erykah posted hers too. :)

brandynva
February 17th, 2007, 11:10 PM
My first dog was a collie we got when I was 6. He was my best friend and survived being hit twice, bit by a poisionous snake, running away and staying gone for a week at a time sometimes. He finally passed when he was only 10 from cancer. My parents waited until he was 8 to get him fixed because he started dribbling urine. It was too late by then of course and he just got worse. :sad: I went to my dad's for the weekend and came home and they had him PTS without even telling me ahead of time. I never did say goodbye to him. :rip: Duffy... I'll see if I can find a pic somewhere.

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Oh, Brandy! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

TeriM
February 17th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Our family dog "Brutus" :lovestruck:

My horse "Blackburn's Blessing" :lovestruck:

TeriM
February 17th, 2007, 11:15 PM
My on-my-own first pet Bud (best kittie ever :lovestruck: ).

brandynva
February 17th, 2007, 11:15 PM
These are all so good! And I love the decor! :thumbs up Kinda matches my kitchen floor. :D

TeriM
February 17th, 2007, 11:17 PM
lol, yeah the carpet would be around mid-70's :D .

OntarioGreys
February 18th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Anyone notice that all the dogs have healthy looking coats despite that fact there was no holistic foods back then.

Duke and Red use to eat can of alpo each mixed with 5 or 6 cups of gravy train.

Brutus, Sheeba and Tara have gorgeous coats and I can still recall the blue and green shimmer on Dukes coat when he laid in the sun

Prin
February 18th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I have no idea what Sheeba ate (she shed carpets though), but Tara for sure got some kind of commercial dog food. Definitely not anything like ol' roy though. My dad got the good stuff, like Dog chow. :D :laughing: But the next generation did really badly on the food though. My lab had chronic ear infections, shedding and just general itchiness and my dobie's coat got pretty dull...

TeriM
February 18th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I remember that Brutus got Gaines Burgers :yuck: . But he also got a lot of human food leftovers which is probably why he still looked so good. Either that or all those chemicals had good short term effects :D .

OntarioGreys
February 18th, 2007, 12:38 AM
It is too bad we don't have the ingredient list of the foods back then to compare to what is in them today, I am pretty sure they would look nothing alike, I know there is no way I could expect a dog to look like Duke or Red did from over 30 years ago eating the same brands today, when I go to the greyhound reunions the dogs that are on the cheap foods really stick out like sore thumbs.

Prin
February 18th, 2007, 12:39 AM
They probably used less grains back then, IMO... They didn't have the "science" that said corn was the best.:rolleyes:

Frenchy
February 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I took a picture of the picture :p

Skryker
February 18th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Here's our Tippy-a corgi/sheltie cross. She was sch a great dog, after she died it was years before I could even think of owning a dog again. :sad:

(Oh and Prin, you weren't the only '70s sufferer....:rolleyes: )

Skryker
February 18th, 2007, 09:43 AM
ANd one more of her sneaking a nap on my brother's unmade bed.

Prin
February 18th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Very cute Frenchy! :) That's what I did too- took pics of pics... I don't have a scanner...

Skryker, love the pants! :laughing: Tippy is very cute.:) (I love the ears!)

Byrd
February 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM
My first actual pets were rabbits, we had about 60 of them, but one little dutch black and white was mine, her name, ironically was Dutchy. I had a pair of ducks later. Yeah, we weren't conventional.

My first indoor pet was a blue budgie named Tweety. I got him when I was 10 and he went to the Rainbow Bridge almost exactly 10 years later. He was so smart, he talked and did tricks, it was amazing.

My first dog was my Husky, Wolf. I got him when I was 15 and he died at 15. I have a thing for keeping animals half my life. He was an incredible dog, gentle, quiet, smart, his only problem was that he was a runner (I tell my mom that if I knew half about dog training that I now know he wouldn't have had that bad habit), I swear that dog had nine lives.

I guess I will have to do the pic of a pic thing too. One day I am going to scan all my photos and put them on disc, that way I will always have them if something ever happened to the house. Of course it would help if I knew where my photo albums were... must be in the boxes that are at my mom's house (I don't have room here for all my stuff so most of my boxes are still at my mom's). For now here are the only pics I have of Wolf on my computer.

CyberKitten
February 18th, 2007, 11:58 AM
nyone notice that all the dogs have healthy looking coats despite that fact there was no holistic foods back then.

VERY interesting observation!! And ours all lived long lives too and I do not recall our buying pet food at any special place - sometimes the vet when we went there but we also went to the vet less often back then too. (Especially since for many yrs, we did not have one except for one employed by the dept of agriculture who did s/n on the side.)

I am still trying to get a picture of my first dog - a Siberian. I have pix of other dogs we had but they need scanning. One of these days.....