Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm so unbelievably sad - Zak

marko
February 17th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Just found out yesterday that our 14 year old beautiful tabby Zak almost certainly has advanced lymphosarcoma which is terminal. The vet suggests he has only a few months left.....and I am broken.

He's still looking ok for now except for weight loss which is noticeable. So for the past 16 hours or so my wife and I have been terribly sad and shedding many many tears. Zak is the best cat - he's so gentle. Even though after we adopted him, we loved him right away, It took him years before he started loving us back. But now, all we have to do is look at him and he purrs with delight. It's a sad time now but we are determined to spoil him silly. After all HE doesn't know he has cancer.

So he's been eating hard food but prefers soft food. Starting yesterday - soft food 100% of the time. He loves treats...starting yesterday LOADS of treats. He loves cuddles...well oh my god the already large amount of cuddles he receives daily just increased exponentially. At this point he can do whatever he wants.

We are taking solace in the fact that he is 14 and has had a great life with us....but it still painful. Thanks for listening everyone, usually I don't post much but it's nice to have this place where I KNOW you all understand the turmoil I'm feeling now.

Sincerely,
Marko
ADMIN

Dogastrophe
February 17th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Marko, so sorry to hear about Zak. Spoil him rotten until the time comes to let him go.:cat:

Stacer
February 17th, 2007, 09:12 AM
:grouphug: So sorry about Zak. I know what you're going through. Make the last few months the best. :grouphug:

angeldogs
February 17th, 2007, 09:33 AM
sorry to hear about Zak.I know it's hard.spoil good till the time comes:sorry:

Lukka'sma
February 17th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Oh Marko that is so sad to hear about Zak. Please express my thoughts to your wife also. Will be thinking of you and Zak, even though you don't post often.

jesse's mommy
February 17th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Marko, I'm so sorry to hear about Zak. :grouphug:

meb999
February 17th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Oh Marko, I'm so sorry. Zak is a very lucky kitty -- he's in the most loving household :grouphug:

Hunter's_owner
February 17th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Oh Marko, so very very sorry to hear about Zak:grouphug:

badger
February 17th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Marko, I know what you mean, there is definitely a special connection with the ones who take years to come around and then stun you with their affection (and even if they don't).

- After all, HE doesn't know he has cancer -

Do you know how much wisdom there is in that phrase? I'm not saying animals don't suffer mentally - they absolutely do - but not about the big D. So it's life until the last moment.

I hope Zak continues to feel well and have the pleasure of your company for as long as possible.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 17th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Marko I am so sorry about Zach - I to think you should spoil him right up until the end.....:grouphug:

chico2
February 17th, 2007, 10:42 AM
So Sorry Marko,although I know Zak has had a wonderful life,now he'll think he is on:cloud9: even if only for a few months,all the treats he wants,tasty canned food:love:
He might surprise you,I know of a cat who was supposed to have 3 months,but lived comfortably for another year,you never know..:fingerscr

Mocha's mum
February 17th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I'm terrible sorry to hear about Zak. It's funny how these little bundles of fur wrap themselves around our hearts and don't let go. :lovestruck:

I know that this is an incredibly hard time for both of you, however, you have 14 years of wonderful memories, and even when Zak is gone, you will have those memories of him for the rest of your lives. Zak is so lucky to have such loving and devoted guardians such as yourselves :), especially when it comes to the cuddles and treats :thumbs up

It's sometimes difficult to take solace in words, however, I'm sure you know that there is an amazing support base here, and you're not alone in your time of need. :grouphug:

wdawson
February 17th, 2007, 11:19 AM
marko , that is really sad news.

papillonmama
February 17th, 2007, 11:20 AM
So sorry that it's such sad news Marko.

Take care :grouphug:

Frenchy
February 17th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I'm so sorry for you and your wife :sad: we know how hard it is. I know you will spoil Zak , even more than before. :grouphug:

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I'm so sorry Marko. You must be devastated.:sad: He is so lucky to have you. I mean, not only does he have a family to grow old with, but he gets lavished with treats when he gets there. What a lucky kitty! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

marko
February 17th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks so much everyone for your understanding and words of encouragement. It's very much appreciated - more than you know. :grouphug:

Sincerely,

Marko

OntarioGreys
February 17th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I am very sorry Marko :grouphug:

For his weight, and to maintain strength and to help with cellular repair and to help slow the progress of the cancer, consider a high meat protein grain free diet such as Natures Variety Raw instinct http://naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?r=1215870&page=1422&-session=naturesvariety:488BA2F6054cb1DAA9RNPvAF90B 6 This contains Montmorillonite Clay which has some unique proterties, you can do a google search under Montmorillonite Clay cancer , I have read it can help with some types of cancers not sure about the lymphosarcoma, it can be bought as a powder to add to food.

or EVO http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=%2F%2Fproduct%5B@id%3D%271255%27%5D

or TO's Serengeti Herbal Felid Diet
http://www.timberwolforganics.com/s.nl/it.A/id.109/.f?sc=2&category=-102

Skryker
February 17th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Marko, I'm so sorry about Zak's bad news. :grouphug: :grouphug: for you and your wife. Spoil Zak and enjoy the time you have left (bitter-sweet as it may be). :goodvibes: for Zak.

dustybird
February 17th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I am very sorry to hear abou zak, :grouphug: to all of you.

erykah1310
February 17th, 2007, 03:38 PM
:grouphug: to you and your wife Marko.
:grouphug: for Zak too

technodoll
February 17th, 2007, 04:15 PM
:grouphug: not many words can dampen the pain you are both going through, just remember to celebrate every moment you still have with him and let the mourning come later... don't let him feel your sadness too much. i too understand the awfulness of finding out your pet, your soulmate's time is counted on this earth and there is nothing you can do to change that... you can only create warm sweet memories to carry you through the rough times after the rainbow bridge carries your beloved one away. :candle: to zak, smile happy for the camera ok? :grouphug: :cat: :goodvibes:

phoenix
February 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM
so sorry Marko for you and your wife :grouphug: Enjoy every minute with Zak.

Golden Girls
February 17th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I am very sorry to hear about Zak Marko, this is very sad news :grouphug:

happycats
February 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Zak:sad: At least you have the chance to love him up and say good-bye.
Give Zak big smootches from the gang at pets.ca :grouphug: :grouphug:

CyberKitten
February 17th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I am so very sorry to hear about Zak!! I have a special place in my heart for any meezer and Zak seems like he is an extra special meezer and he is obviously more than special to you and your wife - he is your furbaby who've you have loved and cared for very well!!!

I know you have had some great wonderful years with him but I also know that that does not make it any easier. I just truley and honestly hope and pray those fun happy experiences and cherished memories will help you all as you go through this difficult period. Please take care of yourself and I will say some prayers and think good thoughts for Zak too!!!

I hope you enjoy the time you have with him - do all his and your fav things that the three of you loved doing together - which I prob do not even have to even tell you. I am sure you are doing that now as I type!!! Don't think of the time the vet gave you, spend every minute now with him, loving and petting and laying with him. In other words, don't concentrate on the negative; think of what you can do now while the three of you have this gift of time with one another!!! Cherish it and him and enjoy him!!!!

:grouphug: :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
February 17th, 2007, 08:24 PM
:grouphug: Zak is a very lucky kitty to have you and your wife. Prayers and good wishes for you all :grouphug:

TeriM
February 17th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Marko, I am so sad to hear such news :sad: . Big hugs from my gang to you and yours :grouphug: . Enjoy the time you have together and create more great memories to cherish forever.

luckypenny
February 17th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I'm sure if Zak could speak, he would say "Thank you". You've provided him with all that's best.

cpietra16
February 17th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Zak. :grouphug:

Peepmouse
February 17th, 2007, 08:58 PM
:sad: I'm so sorry to hear about Zak, Marko. My thoughts & prayers are with you all as you go through this time together. :grouphug: :pray:

mindis12
February 17th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I send my prayers too you and your family. I know this is a tough and hard time for all of you. God is with you as all of us are with you in spirit!:grouphug:

coppperbelle
February 17th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I truly feel for both you and your wife. Enjoy what time you have left together and know that we understand.

Coppperbelle

Byrd
February 17th, 2007, 09:19 PM
:grouphug:

Sorry to hear your sad news, spoil him rotten and make his time here the best ever, he is lucky that he has you for parents. :angel:

rainbow
February 18th, 2007, 12:30 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Zak. :sad: It is such a hard thing to go through with a beloved pet. :grouphug: Keep him on a high protein diet and spoil the heck out of him. Keep us posted. :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes:

marko
February 18th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks again for all the warm wishes and good :goodvibes: everyone - it helps. :grouphug:

Sincerely,

Marko

Golden Girls
February 18th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I'm glad to hear it helps by sharing with us Marko. We, especially here know just how special animals are and the extent of their gratitute that they give us back ... it's with interest :cloud9: I :pray: that Zak has many many more days filled with only love and kindness. I can't imagine what your going through :sad:

JennieV
February 18th, 2007, 11:39 AM
:sorry: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
Be strong and enjoy every moment you have left... I havve been there this past week, thankfully, Tarzan seems to pull through this rough patch, but I know how exactly you feel...:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

marsupial mama
February 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM
so sorry to hear this sad news. But it's good to know this kitty will be loved and cared for until the end. :cat:

Shamrock
February 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Marko, I am so sorry to hear about your dear Zak. What a heartbreak this news is for you.:sad:
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your wife.:grouphug:

joeysmama
February 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Oh my heart just breaks for all of you ! I can't even imagine what it's like to have to live with that news. Spoil him every single moment that you have him !!

glasslass
February 18th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Each day is a gift! I know you will make the most of each one! Zak is so lucky to be so loved and to have had such a wonderful life. And he's lucky to have someone who will be there til the end for him. What more could any kitty have?

Dog Dancer
February 19th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Marko, so sorry to read this thread about Zak. Of course like everyone said now you get to spoil him silly with no guilt right! I know when my last dog's days were numbered she got everything she wanted whether it was good for her or not. Tea upset her tummy but she got it if she wanted it. We all know it's not an easy time for you and your wife, but take every last minute with Zak and make memories that will last your lifetime. Hugs to you all. Make Zak's last moments, when they come, be filled with your loving face and hugs and kisses from mommy and daddy. He'll always know who loved him best.

doggy lover
February 19th, 2007, 02:11 PM
So sorry to hear about Zac, after losing my dog to cancer I know how hard it is when you get the final word. Spoil and hug him all you can, I bought my dog a T-bone steak the night befor we had him pts he just loved it. My thoughts and prayers are with you.:candle:

TMac
February 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Marko,

So sorry to hear about Zak. Take this precious time with him and remember the good days. He will be glad you are with him to the end.

mummummum
February 20th, 2007, 10:42 PM
:pawprint: slobbery kisses from Ceili, Bridie and Declan and a :grouphug: from me to all of you Marko. No matter how long we have with them, it can never be long enough.

Mahealani770
February 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM
:sorry: I'm in tears reading your post Marko :sad: I'm so terribly sad for you, your wife, and Zak. How sweet of you to give him whatever he wants now. I be he's one happy cat! :cloud9: Give him lots of cuddles and take lots of pictures!
Speaking of pictures, may I put one of Zak up on the pet wall?
Thanks,
~M~

HunterXHunter
February 21st, 2007, 02:57 PM
:sorry: to hear about Zak. Just spoil the :cat: rotten! Give him plenty of :grouphug:

jawert1
February 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
Marko, I'm so sorry about Zak, give him tons of extra pets and treats from me, Peach and Simon. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: to all of you right now

Cinnabear
March 3rd, 2007, 02:31 AM
That's such sad news.:sad: Truly heartbreaking. Wishing his last weeks painfree and filled with lots of love. Take care. :grouphug:

Furbaby Momma
March 3rd, 2007, 05:54 AM
I am so truly sorry you and your wife have gotten this news about your precious Zak, Marco. He is so lucky to be loved so dearly, and I know he will be spoiled silly as much as he already has been and more.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
(((BIG HUG))) :love:

brandynva
March 3rd, 2007, 09:07 AM
Marko, so sorry to hear about Zac. It must be hard facing the loss of such an important member of your family. Our thoughts are with you and your wife at this time. :grouphug: