Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help needed with flea treatment.

Quins-mum
February 16th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Well, over here in New Zealand its flea time for the animals.
The issue I am having at the moment is whenever I put flea meds on my 3yr old black Lab he goes absolutley mental (ie just like he has come out of the bath- but worse) He does it for about 5 hours!
He tries to bite his neck, rolling around mad. I can only assume that he has some allergy or irritation going on, or it may be even burning him.

I have tried distracting him, giving him treats, but nothing seems to stop him.

I have tried lots of brands (frontline, Revolution, Advantage) and all do the same to him. Have yet to try the cheap and nasty supermarket brands, but Im not really too keen on those.

I have heard that putting garlic in their food helps to keep fleas away.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? It is time for him to get another dose, but I hate seeing him so uncomfortable.
Any ideas or advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
Pam

wdawson
February 16th, 2007, 10:25 PM
are you putting all the flea med in one spot (only on the neck) you should spread it out one squirt on the neck one mid back and the last near tail base.
they are based on weight..have you got the right one?....you can try a lower dose but you need to really get the fleas out of the house for a lower dose to work....thats the advice i got from my vet.....i just dealt with fleas on 3 cats and 2 dogs i use advantage and all fleas are gone now.....don't be fooled about seasons for fleas.....we never got them here till late winter,was mild though.....good luck

Quins-mum
February 16th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks for your reply. I now put the treatment on one spot, (neck) as I was scared he would lick it off at the base of the tail. Yep, I am using the correct dosage for his weight. I prefer to use frontline as (apparently) that is the best for dogs who LOVE to swim.

I dont think I have fleas in the house, but I guess we never really know for sure... I havent been bitten!

Thanks for the thought about the lower dose, I'll have a chat to the vet when I get the next lot of flea treatment.
Cheers
Pam