Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cockatiel food?

t.pettet
February 16th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Am fostering a beautiful, lively, little Cockatiel, his elderly mum is in hospital so am not sure how long he'll be here but apart from seeds what fruit & veggies would be safe to feed him?

pamha
February 17th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I can`t think of anything it wouldn`t be safe to try. Do you know what he is used to getting? Ours developed a taste for corn & honey-nut cheerios & rarely will try anything else other than her seed- we inheirited her from my grandma or would have been offering more variety when she was younger. If you can find out what he usually gets, that would probably be best, otherwise just try whatever fruits or veggies you have around the house.
Have fun!

meggie1425
February 18th, 2007, 09:34 AM
My cockatiels go crazy for popcorn! Just a couple pieces of non salted, non or low-buttered popcorn is always a fun treat. They also enjoy the odd little piece of bread! (letting them see YOU eat it first usually gives them an added interest in the food your trying to give them!)

BMDLuver
February 18th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Our cockatiels loved spaghetti!

t.pettet
February 19th, 2007, 10:16 PM
He loves bananas and ate a bit of raw carrot, not interested in lettuce or apples, will try the popcorn and spaghetti:)

Lise
February 20th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Our guys eat most fruits and veggies,really like orange slices,Hawk and Oscar love all kinds of berries like blueberries rasberries etc.It often takes awhile for a bird to try a new food give it a few tries.Do not give avocado since it is toxic to birds.

whitbit317
June 18th, 2007, 02:45 PM
My birds love green peppers. They also like celary. They've done carrots. Anything healthy for a human is ok for a bird. But when you get to non-vegetables and stuff you hvae to make sure its given in moderation, cause potato chips and the like aren't very healthy for birds. The only big no-no is avacados. Also, don't cook with telfon pans around the bird.