Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting your Canadian passport?

Skryker
February 16th, 2007, 05:34 PM
If you need to have it soon for travel, don't mail the application-do it in person.

We went to the passport office in Ottawa today, since my daughter needs her passport for a school trip in April (we knew we were cutting it fine, but my husband had to get court papers for custody and get his ex to sign the application so everything was only just ready this week-:frustrated: -we started this process in November!). If you go in person, you get your passport back by mid-March (from today, that is). If you mail it-it won't be back until May!

They're really swamped because of the changes for travel to the US. And you can only get the rush service if you can provide paid proof of travel within 3 weeks of applying. It took us 3 hours in total to get the application in, and that's good for that office lately. :eek: Apparently, if you go online first and fill out the application, then take it into the office, it speeds the process up and you have a shorter wait at the office.

So just a warning-if you need a passport before May, better get on it and do it in person, or you might be out of luck.

Prin
February 16th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Crazy!! My passport expired about 5 years ago, so it's lucky I drive everywhere... :D

Skryker
February 16th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Yeah, but it's what, Jan 1st 2008 that you'll need the passport to drive over the border to the States? Imagine how much crazier the delays are going to be in time for that!:eek:

I've never had one, and neither has my guy-but we're going to get them once the income tax refund is in. Try and beat the rush this time. :rolleyes:

Prin
February 16th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Ooo true, eh? :o Better get movin'. :o

CyberKitten
February 16th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I had mine renewed this summer just to avoid the rush!! It took less than 10 days! My brother and wife thought they would take an easy way out - ie avoid the lomng line ups by going to a satellite office but they were told they;d have to wait longer so they went to a bigger office and had the children's' passports especially ipdated. Theirs actually were OK. But the baby needed one.

And yeah, already many people who dr4ive regularly across the border are getting their passports but it will be crazy for the next year I think as ppl realize they need to have one to cross at a border crossing in a vehicle.

Skryker
February 16th, 2007, 11:26 PM
The other thing I kept hearing today from people was "What's it going to be like in 5 years when everyone that's getting one now renews?", but I thought, a lot of people won't renew because they only need them now and children's need to be renewed more frequently, anyhow. :shrug: It's still going to be busy for quite some time.

If my husband and I get them done this spring, we can just mail them since there won't be a rush. Saves time and hassle with no drive to Ottawa and $20 for parking. :frustrated: And that's really cheap.

coppperbelle
February 19th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Yeah, but it's what, Jan 1st 2008 that you'll need the passport to drive over the border to the States? Imagine how much crazier the delays are going to be in time for that!:eek:

I've never had one, and neither has my guy-but we're going to get them once the income tax refund is in. Try and beat the rush this time. :rolleyes:

As far as I know there has been no confirmation that you will need a passport to drive over the border yet. There is talk of 2008 but nothing definite yet.
In order to get our passports we need government issued birth certificates so we sent those applications in a few weeks ago.
By the time they come back and we get everything else in order for our passports we should be ready by Jan 2008. :D

CyberKitten
February 19th, 2007, 08:09 PM
You will in fact require a passport by the end of this year - or should I say the beginning of 2008. It will be a hassle for so many who live on the border and are so used to crossing for say a loaf of bread but they do say they will become adjusted to it.

This is what the web site for Passport Canada says:

Do I need a passport to travel to the United States?

Since January 23, 2007, a new American law requires everyone entering the United States BY AIR to have a valid passport.

Canadians can continue to use such documents as their birth certificates and driversí licence to cross the Canada-U.S. border BY LAND AND SEA for at least another year.

So legally, yes, we do not need one if travelling by car or boat but by this time next year, that will have changed to be similar to those who travel by air.

I guess I don;'t see the big brohahaha (for want of a better word, lol). I've always had a Passport - even as a child - it;s a good piece of ID to have and many Canadians (more so than Americans by a large margin) have passports. I guess we like to travel - maybe to southern climates, lol

Anyway - I am sure most ppl will adjust tho I do think it would not hurt to lengthen the time a passport is valid, say from 5 to 10 yrs when one thinks of families with children tho most families are small these days so that is not really that much of an issue I suppose.

I would like to think some of the Border Senators (Ie Maine and Minnesota, Washingston for ex) who are opposing this legislation in the Senate will win but they have lost every vote on the matter so they'd have to intriduce new legislation to reverse it and I do not see that happening. In fact, I was discussin gtis with one of our Consul General's today and he does not see it happening. (and he has lobbied for it not to - given the effect on trade but he optomistically thinks companies will adjust. I hope he is correct!!)

Prin
February 19th, 2007, 08:28 PM
The broohaha for me is that I don't have $60 or whatever it is to waste on a passport every 5 years if I'm not going anywhere.;)

Skryker
February 19th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I'm pretty sure passports used to be good for 10 years...and of course you're supposed to update your passport if your appearance changes dramatically. :rolleyes: Like people are going to get a new passport if they dye their hair or lose or gain weight.

They were being super picky about the pictures, too. I saw them reject about 10 pictures in the hour and a half we were in the main office (as opposed to the 2 hours we were in the hallway, lining up to get into the line in the office.:frustrated: )

Ah, well. If it's got to be done, we might as well do it. After Coppperbelle posted the price of Canidae in the US, it'd be worth cross-border shopping for the dog food alone.