Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How often do you change your kitty litter??

heidiho
February 16th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I do it about every two weeks,but have read you only need to do it once a month for one cat.But for me once the crystals start staying yellow i change it..

Skryker
February 16th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Sounds good. With the scoopable, I was scooping daily, topping it up once a week and emptying and refilling completely every 2 weeks until the holistic food, and then I could stretch it to refill every 3 weeks or so.

I've left the crystal stuff for the month it said, but next time I'll change it sooner, I think. Cats noses are better than ours, so it might smell to her before I can smell anything. :o

heidiho
February 16th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Yeah i scoop hers out in the morning and at night,i did read it says once a month,but i dont know i am gonna try for 3 weeks instead of 2,i dont kwow how much you pay for the fresh step crystl but it is 14.00 here,and i do swear by it,.I just love it,and when she makes a mess of it it isnt as bad cleaning up as the other one,not sure what it is called but it is gray looking and very tiny granules the clumping kind,tried it once ,never again to messy

breeze
February 16th, 2007, 06:37 PM
when I had my cats 2 of them I would scoop twice a day and changed and cleaned it every week from top to bottom I also toped it of every 2 days.

heidiho
February 16th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I guess with 2cats you would have to,i could not afford to change it every week,well i could probably find a way,someday i do want to get her a friend,do you guys ever have issues with having 2 cats and them not wanting to share litter box??

breeze
February 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM
no they just got use to it taking turns i guess, everything went well then when we just had one we still changed it every week

CyberKitten
February 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I change at least once a day! Daily!!!! Four cats and all!!

heidiho
February 16th, 2007, 07:09 PM
NO way,you empty your kitty litter everyday and put in new kitty litter?????Wow.......

Dracko
February 16th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I change at least once a day! Daily!!!! Four cats and all!!

Don't tell my 3 cats. They'll think I'm a bad mom!

allisonl_1
February 19th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I actually spoke to a vet about this because I have two cats who are very active in the litter box. She said that it should be completely cleaned out and started fresh again no sooner than every two weeks. If you do it too often the box looses its scent and cats can sometimes become confused. They need to be able to smell themselves at least a bit on the box so that they know for sure that they are in the right spot. So, hopefully that helps, I would imagine a vet would know her stuff!:)

chico2
February 19th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I pick out poop and pee-clumps sometimes twice a day.
But empty and put new litter every two weeks and it's fine with my 3 cats.

trippincherri
February 20th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I scoop mine out every 3 days and top it off every time I scoop it,plus add a bit of deodorizing powder.
Then about every 2 weeks I dump the entire thing and put it in the shower and clean it with bleach, then refill it and restart the process.
I use the clay clumping litter and have a lidded litter box so the smell is not too bad.

We also have a litter box that is added on to our house, the cats have their own little kitty door by our bedroom door and it leads into a rubber matted tunnel (rubber mat to clean their feet) that leads down to ground level and looks like a little house attached to our trailer. Inside it contains a litter box and a window so they can enjoy the view while they go lol.
This litter box is entirely insulated and contained so they cannot escape, and it opens from outside in our yard.
So when we need to clean it, we open the big door from outside and change it. Very cool. It is also virtually smell free because it is "outside" of our house, and in the winter we cannot clean it because the snow is to deep and freezes the door shut, but the poop freezes and it doesn't smell, and the cats quit going down to use it eventually because its too dirty.
Its not a pleasant sight in the spring when you get the door open though :yuck: .
I'll take pictures in the spring so you guys can see what I am talking about, then ALL your kitties will be jealous and want one ha ha ha.
:p

allisonl_1
February 21st, 2007, 08:00 PM
I scoop mine out every 3 days and top it off every time I scoop it,plus add a bit of deodorizing powder.
Then about every 2 weeks I dump the entire thing and put it in the shower and clean it with bleach, then refill it and restart the process.
I use the clay clumping litter and have a lidded litter box so the smell is not too bad.

We also have a litter box that is added on to our house, the cats have their own little kitty door by our bedroom door and it leads into a rubber matted tunnel (rubber mat to clean their feet) that leads down to ground level and looks like a little house attached to our trailer. Inside it contains a litter box and a window so they can enjoy the view while they go lol.
This litter box is entirely insulated and contained so they cannot escape, and it opens from outside in our yard.
So when we need to clean it, we open the big door from outside and change it. Very cool. It is also virtually smell free because it is "outside" of our house, and in the winter we cannot clean it because the snow is to deep and freezes the door shut, but the poop freezes and it doesn't smell, and the cats quit going down to use it eventually because its too dirty.
Its not a pleasant sight in the spring when you get the door open though :yuck: .
I'll take pictures in the spring so you guys can see what I am talking about, then ALL your kitties will be jealous and want one ha ha ha.
:p
wow! I am super impressed... I almost want one for me..... well maybe without the litter box at the end:p