Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Went To The Shelter Today...

luckypenny
February 16th, 2007, 03:43 PM
...walked through the front door of the main building and was greeted by a variety of doggies as usual, coming to sniff and get their hugs...

...and there was Zia, laying on a blanket, her chin to the ground, and looking all sad.

I had never met Zia before; she had just been abandoned at the shelter. She's a sweetest looking Black Lab X, about 1 year old. When she finally got up to meet me, I noticed her left leg was dislocated from her hip. When I looked at her file, it read: Reason for abandonment? Moving. When the previous owners (I could think of more apropriate names) were asked what happened to her leg, they answered that she slipped and fell 1 1/2 MONTHS AGO :yell: :yell: :yell: :yell:

Now, this happens every now and then at our shelter (and all others too, I know) and I just want to know, :yell: WHAT THE H**L IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE??? :yell: WHERE DO ALL THESE MORONS COME FROM???

I don't care if this guy's moving, I don't care if he's sad he's dropping off his dog, I don't care if he's even crying. At least have the audacity to admit that "YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THE WELL-BEING OF YOUR PET!" I care about this dog, of her pain and confusion, not some loser wanting me to feel sorry for him!

"Moving!" Right!

:sorry: This just kills me.

mummummum
February 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
That's awful. Some people are so beyond hideous they shouldn't rate being called human. When is the shelter going to do something about her hip ?

Skryker
February 16th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Poor, poor girl!:sad: To be left in pain for 6 weeks like that...maybe it's better he gave her up now-who knows how long she might have gone without treatment.

Prin
February 16th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Aww, that's so sad. Hopefully her luck will change.

luckypenny
February 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM
That's awful. Some people are so beyond hideous they shouldn't rate being called human. When is the shelter going to do something about her hip ?

As soon as possible, I'm sure. They know to contact me this evening if we have to take her elsewhere for treatment. Actually, I was just returning another pup to the shelter who needed outside care when I met Zia.

For the life of me, I just don't get where these people come from. Do these people really, I mean really expect us to believe them? This is just totally beyond ignorance.

luckypenny
February 16th, 2007, 05:43 PM
That would be great. I'll forward it to you in a few minutes. THANK YOU so much. I've sponsored vet care for 5 dogs in the past month and when I asked my husband if :pray: we could do one more (for the fifth time) he said he was just about ready to "abandon" me. I know, I've been told I can't save them all but, with help, we can save more.

Frenchy
February 16th, 2007, 06:13 PM
luckypenny,you should ask Marco (admin here) to give you "rescue privilege" so you could take a pic of these dogs and post them on the adoption thread. I did find people here on pets.ca who adopted some of my fosters. These dogs need all the help they can get.:grouphug:

Frenchy
February 16th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I've been told I can't save them all but

I've been told the same thing many many times. But we still can try ;)

JanM
February 16th, 2007, 06:51 PM
My heart goes out to that pup - you are right - it is unfathomable what some people do to animals - why, oh why do they have animals in the first place? It makes me very sad to hear these stories. The SPCA I go to recently saved an adult dog that had been tied up all its life - it couldn't walk any more so they have the dog in their office - it's on pain meds but when one of the staff picked the dog up, the love in its eyes was something to behold. That dog knew it had been saved and it will now live out its life with care and love - all that it deserves. Sometimes I would like to see the bad owners treated the same way they have treated their animals!

luckypenny
February 16th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Sometimes I would like to see the bad owners treated the same way they have treated their animals!

I know what you mean. Too bad we're too busy rescuing animals. Lord knows what I'd do if I had too much free time on my hands.:frustrated:

rainbow
February 16th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Poor Zia :sad: :grouphug: I just cannot stomach people like that. :yuck: I hope karma comes back to bite him in the a$$. :evil: And, I hope Zia finds the loving forever home she deserves. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Boubou
February 17th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Sounds like a torn ligament and the owner probably knew this and couldn't afford the operation which usually runs around $1500.

We live in a 'throw away society' - if it doesn't work, and gets in the way of our life, throw it away and get another one. It's no wonder our shelters are bursting with animals who no longer suited their owners needs or were living up to their expectations..........the more you know people, the more you looove your dogs!!!!

Winston
February 17th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Hearing these things makes me so angry! The problem though is how to fix it? I have said to myself people should need training before they own a dog/cat .or would licensing work? or everyone should spay and neuter....but how do you make it work? or enforce it? I believe in all things for the good of the animal but feel hopeless sometimes because NOTHING ever changes!! Our laws are too weak! no one seems to care! People just toss animals out without any feeling?? or like Zia.. the dog is injured!! get some help! I also have some mixed feelings on vets too because it is EXPENSIVE!! We all know that! why cant they help out people with payment arrangements and such! (I know some vets do) if the vets did not charge so much for some people to spay and neuter it would help keep the population of cats down.

In the Hamilton area you can call any vet and they will tell you at least $225.00 (min) for a spay / neuter....but you can drive 1 hour down the road and they will neuter for $60.00 & spay $110.00...

Sorry for hijaking this thread but feel the need to vent...What can be done????

Cindy
:mad:

luckypenny
February 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Winston. "What can be done?"

In a perfect world (my idea of one anyways), is potential owners ought to take a course before aquiring a pet, pass a test, get a permit. No permit? Sorry, no pet. ALL breeders would be registered, required to take extensive courses, and issued a permit. A hairdresser needs a permit!! Why not a breeder? All pets will have to be registered, pure breed or not. Spaying/neutering would be paid up front. Can't provide proof animal has been operated within a reasonable amount of time? Then pay a hefty fine. Pet health insurance would be mandatory. Just like owning your own home, vehicle, etc. Your legally liable.

Now, I know this would upset alot of people. "It's not fair, some people can't afford it all" and "I shouldn't have to be forced to have my pets operated." Can't afford it? Then adopt from a shelter, rescue, etc. It's affordable. What makes you think you can afford food, vaccinations, medical care, training, etc? Not fair? Too bad, I can't feel sorry for you. I'm too busy feeling sorry for the mistreated animals who are suffering.

I had an interesting conversation with a vet a few weeks ago. He said a couple came in with a sick Dane they bought from an ad on an internet site. They boasted that they only paid 400$ for this lovely puppy. The vet congratulated them because their pup would be worth a minimum of 2000$ after they had to pay for treating his parvovirus! Who knows, he may be worth more if by some chance he'd need further treatment in the future. What a deal!!!:rolleyes:

Yep, in a perfect world... Until then, educate, educate, educate. Write your local MNAs, write the Premier. Tell them what you think. I truly believe anything is possible, all that's required is commitment.

coppperbelle
February 18th, 2007, 06:25 PM
It is heartbreaking to see how some people treat their animals. I have gotten to the point that I don't even listen to the excuses anymore and don't care why people are giving up their dogs. I just think okay give me the dog and don't let the door hit you in the a.. on the way out. Today I heard about a golden left tied to a telephone pole. Thankfully someone cared enough to bring him home and contacted us.
Last spring a co-worker had to surrender his dog. I don't remember the reason but the dog was part Bernese and looked like one. I was able to help him out placing the dog with another rescue group. On Friday he told me his daughter could no longer keep her dog and could I rehome it. I was so disgusted but not wanting to get into anything just asked him for a picture.

luckypenny
February 19th, 2007, 12:00 PM
On Friday he told me his daughter could no longer keep her dog and could I rehome it. I was so disgusted but not wanting to get into anything just asked him for a picture.

It sounds like he thinks he's doing you a favor:rolleyes: . Once you have possession of the dog, I'd tell him how irresponsible both he and his daughter are. It doesn't always work with these kind of people but, a little humility might make him think twice before getting another pet. Perhaps you can suggest they buy a stuffed toy?

My respect to you for helping these pups out.

coppperbelle
February 19th, 2007, 07:53 PM
It sounds like he thinks he's doing you a favor:rolleyes: . Once you have possession of the dog, I'd tell him how irresponsible both he and his daughter are. It doesn't always work with these kind of people but, a little humility might make him think twice before getting another pet. Perhaps you can suggest they buy a stuffed toy?

My respect to you for helping these pups out.

Thanks but if I don't this dog is going to end up at a shelter and probably the one you volunteer with. ;)
By the way this dog is perfect and professionally obedience trained. Why they are getting rid of him is beyond me.

luckypenny
February 19th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I meant after you have the dog :) .

Strange how people get rid of dogs that others would so appreciate :confused: I don't think I'll ever understand it.

Frenchy
February 19th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Strange how people get rid of dogs that others would so appreciate :confused: I don't think I'll ever understand it.

That's what great about rescues. Hearing from people that adopted my fosters , who they love him/her to death , some of these dogs were schedule to be euthanized, you hear about them on a friday morning, their due date is at 2:00 pm on that same day , you call the shelter to tell them you will pick up the dog. Then you have updates from their new families, that's priceless. Many of them say they can't believe who good a dog their new family member is. How the heck could someone dump this dog to a high kill shelter :mad:

Frenchy
February 19th, 2007, 08:25 PM
My Sam was one of these dogs. Thank dog a rescue called me to tell me about him :thumbs up

luckypenny
February 19th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Funny, I feel the same way about my two dogs. They weren't perfect, I never expected them to be; but in our home, with love, guidance, and patience, they're evolving into the wonderful pups they were meant to be. I've seen this with countless other adopted and fostered dogs. It's amazing what the right environment can do.

I'm glad you and Sam found each other, Frenchy.

Golden Girls
February 19th, 2007, 09:18 PM
A friend of mine rescued a golden from your shelter on Dec. 27th, his name was Brandy now changed to Kody. Do you know him? What a dream. I can't believe someone would abandon him - does it get better than this :cloud9:

Frenchy
February 19th, 2007, 09:22 PM
A friend of mine rescued a golden from your shelter on Dec. 27th,

A nice lady from Ontario that already owns 2 other goldens ? ;)

Golden Girls
February 19th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Oh you know her Frenchy? What a sweet woman :angel: She only has one other golden now named Frodo. :rip: Blaze sadly passed away due to health problems with epilepsy :sad: She also has a Shih Tzu named Jordie. She decided to adopt from a rescue rather then going back to a commercial breeder. They truly all get along so well :lovestruck:

luckypenny
February 20th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Golden Girls,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the news and posting the photo. I'm so happy Kody's found a wonderful home where he's loved so much. Ah geez...I want to cry, I'm so happy. I've printed out the lovely picture and will bring it with me to show the girls tommorrow. They'll so appreciate getting an update on him.

Golden Girls
February 20th, 2007, 08:31 AM
oh my goodness I'm so happy that I was able to give you this update :grouphug: We were talking on the phone last night and she said "someone loved this guy" so much because he is just the sweetest. Trust me he has the best home possible. He's so happy and spoiled spoiled spoiled - everyone who meets him instantly falls in love. She asked me to thank everyone who took care of him :angel:

Frenchy
February 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Trust me he has the best home possible. He's so happy and spoiled spoiled spoiled -

I second that ! Yes I know her, I know about Blaze but I forgot the second dog (else than Frodo) was not a golden. We spoke a few times , the last time was to tell me about Kody, and I was sent pictures :cloud9:

Golden Girls
February 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Ya ... they both lucked out this time around :cloud9: I couldn't imagine the frustration working day in and out at shelters :sad: but happy endings like this must make it sooo worthwhile :thumbs up

luckypenny
February 20th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Yup, it can get very frustrating listening to owner's excuses for off-loading their pets. Silly things like they jump up too much, they shed too much, they're too big for the house, they got a new puppy, they can no longer afford the food, they found it as a stray 1, 2, 3 months ago, etc. etc. etc. I'm you've all heard it already. More often than not, there's something wrong with them, not the animal. Somebody ought to write a book about it!

I do believe however that there is a right home for every dog. I was surprised to learn that there are people who really are committed to helping their new dogs overcome certain issues. I just wish there were more of them. What can be a problem for some, can be a non-issue for others. Likewise, what is perfect for some owners, is not so great for others.

All the same, I like to think that happy endings are what we all work towards and have in common. It's great hearing good news.