Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pet tricks!

Goldyy
February 16th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Just curious as to how many of you have cats and dogs that do tiricks...my kitty will shake paws..speak...and spin in a circle..my dog dose more tricks than i can realy name for ex. he does the regular shake paw, roll over, speak ect. but he also knows about 45 toys, he will bring you whatever you ask for, he dances, he smiles, he waves, sticks his tounge out and thats just a few but i would love to hear what your pets do????

Hunter's_owner
February 16th, 2007, 01:13 PM
My dog Cassie is a beagle and I have found it very very hard to teach her very much. She knows sit and give paw, but that is about it. She knows more than that, but will often not do it. I am trying to teach her to say please, but she will only do it when Hunter does it. I am also teaching her "find it" where I take something, show her, and then tell her to find it. This has been working out well, as it uses her natural beagle instincts.

Hunter on the other hand, knows many many tricks. He knows sit, give both paws, hi-five, say please, down, roll over, crawl, count to ten, find it, knows the name of several different toys, I am sure there are more that he can di, but that is what I know of off the top of my head:o

angeldogs
February 17th, 2007, 12:58 AM
jag will shake paw left right.down,roll over stand come around,sit,speak,kiss gives on lick.sloppy kissess just that sloppy.

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Boo:
sit, lie down, a** down (just collapses his hiney when he's lying down), dead, roll, show me your belly (shows his belly like for a belly rub), head down, wave, paw, other paw, high five, whisper, louder (gradually works up to a bark), sit pretty, up (on me)..

Jemma:
sit, lie down, dead, sit pretty, shuffle, up, paw, other paw, high five...

And then there are all the regular every day commands... Soo many.. (like, move, get out of the kitchen, drop it, give it, go away, in the tub, no licking on the sofa, floor, up on the sofa, in the house, stay out, no barking, check your paw (takes the weight off the paw you tap with your hand), put your booties on, not in the road, etc etc etc.:D)

Dobb
February 17th, 2007, 03:54 AM
My two Shih zus will come running when I say "COME GET A TREAT",, lol.

Mocha's mum
February 17th, 2007, 09:52 AM
My two Shih zus will come running when I say "COME GET A TREAT",, lol :laughing:

Sounds like my Lhasa! He really only does stuff if it's beneficial to him (like getting a treat)!! :laughing:

He knows his toys (get your ball / parrot / rope), and when it's breakfast or treat time. Oh, and the "let's go outside". Of course!!

Other than that, he's pretty much spoiled and does whatever he wants. He's a little turkey and a cuddle monster :D

OntarioGreys
February 17th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I had one dog years ago that pick up things amazingly fast and love the challenge of learning new things so I taught him all his commands in english, french, in sign language and by spelling out in english, also worked on teaching him to count example barking 3 times or to collect 3 items and bring them to me, being he was also a working hunting dog I also trained him to follow commands at long range

Spirit
February 17th, 2007, 10:40 AM
haha! What a great idea for a thread. I'm always looking for something new to teach him.

Ben knows all his basic commands: sit, down, stay, wait, come, here, leave it, drop it, off, bring/give, let's go, heel, walk nice (loose leash), etc, and we work on trick training daily.

He knows bow, rear up (up up), wave, pretty (sit up, or beg), belly up, on your mark (go to your spot, blanket, bed, etc), shake (whole body), paw (whichever I ask for), go left or right, back (back up or go back), names of objects (leash, ball, toy, kong, etc, will bring them to be on command), find it, catch (but he's not very good at it yet), give me a kiss... uuummm...

He'll turn out a light (we have sliders, so turning them back on is a work in progress), open or close a door, walk under over or around an object, touch/nudge (contact or target)... uuuummm....

I'm not sure what else he knows off the top of my head, but after all I've taught him, I still can't teach this damn dog "speak". If I ask him to, he'll "speak" if I'm sitting at the dinner table with a plate full of food (he won't bark unless I say speak though), but for the life of me, I can't get him to speak anywhere else!! I also can't get him to retrieve. If I ask him to, he'll bring be a stationary object. If I throw something (ie ball), he'll retrieve it once, maybe twice, then just give me this "What the he** did you throw it again for?", and MIGHT go back once (slowly) to retrieve it a third time (but he won't always bring it back). Then it's game over for him. If anyone has any ideas on how to speed up the retrieve (or general enthusiasm, overall), please let me know. LOL

Oh well. We've got lots of time (to fix all the other puppy issues). ;)

Lissa
February 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Trick training is a huge part of Dodger's world and are completely seperate from OB, agility, flyball and "everyday" phrases.

He knows single behaviour tricks like bow, spin, directionals, wave, shake, sit pretty, roll over, hide your eyes, under and weave between my legs, turning on/off lights, opening/closing doors etc... (I tend to use the single behaviour tricks as a warm-up to get him motivated to work)
I use a lot of self-control tricks like balancing a piece of food on his nose while moving from a sit, down or stand, then catching when I release him. Or retrieving food and taking it to a certain person. I find these really improve focus and precision.
Other tricks tend to involve him linking a few behaviours together, for instance getting a drink from the fridge, getting a kleenex, putting away toys, locating and retrieving objects by name or by me pointing to it (coins, food, keys, phones - its limitless)...

I think trick training is the best -there's no pressure, it teaches you how to motivate your dog and most importantly its fun for everyone!

JanM
February 17th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Wow - sounds like there's lots of well-behaved and well-trained doggies out there!

Bobby will drop (whatever he has in his mouth), come - if he knows he'll get a cookie, find me, go to bed, outside, to the yard, to the car, in the car, out (only used to get out of the car), car ride, sit, stand, stay, stop, wait, cross (for crossing a road) - I think that's it - other than hand commands for come, sit, stay etc. Amber will do all of the above but will also respond really well to hand signals - and she doesn't even care if she gets a cookie or not! Amber will also find her ball, find her duck and will bring it to me.

For some reason I've never taught my dogs to shake a paw or to sit up for treats - from reading this, I think I should start!

Spirit
February 17th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Trick training is fun for both you and the dog, but it certainly doesn't always make for a well behaved pet. Self control exercises however, help your dog learn how to focus on you as well as learn how to control their own urges. I use this often when outside (bird, dog, friend across the street, etc). Right now we're working on perimeter training so he doesn't run into the street. He knows to not walk out the front door until I give permission, and he knows to stop at the end of the grass, but at such a young age, there's no way I can trust him if I'm not around. It's a sidestreet, so I don't worry about it, but you just never know when a car might be coming if he doesn't stop.

My dog can put all his toys away (a useful trick when I'm feeling lazy), but teaching him how to open my fridge door is just asking for trouble. He's 13 months old, and there's just no way I could trust him (yet) with that kind of power. He'd be helping himself all over the place! :laughing:

Skryker
February 19th, 2007, 09:49 AM
I agree with you there, Spirit! My two 15 month olds can already figure out too much on their own-teaching them to open the fridge would increase my grocery bills WAY too much!:laughing:

Let's see-they know sit, down, all the way down (when they cheat at lying down :rolleyes: ), paw, other paw, touch (with a paw), nose (touch with nose), high five, up, whisper, speak (not as well as whisper) and will do all of these more or less on command. Fingal will usually do things without a cookie but Bronwyn needs the cookie, lol! Asking Fingal for a hug means he goes through your legs and stops halfway so you can waggle his butt for him (did I mention he's kind of a weird dog?). Kiss gets you plenty of slurps from Bronny, and sometimes a lick from Fingal.

They know stay, don't pull, wait and come back here! but they don't always listen so well to those ones. Still working on it. :o Their recall off-leash by the river is quite good, but horrible near the house-still working on it.

If you ask them if they want a carrot or an apple, they dash into the kitchen and wait by the fridge, then poke the crisper with their noses to let you know where the carrots are (in case you forgot, lol!). We had to wedge the swinging door to the kitchen so that it only opens one way because they learned very quickly that you can just push the door open. I'm waiting for them to figure out how to grab the handle and pull the door open.

They know that when my husband puts the lid on his bottle of Coke at the table, he's done eating, so they jump up and wait for his plate. He holds the plate up and asks "What are we doing?", and they lay down quickly and jump back up into a sit. Do you want breakfast/dinner-they go to where their food is kept.

If I ask, "What do good dogs do for a cookie?" they will sit down, and if I wait, they start running through all their tricks-lay down, high five, whisper-trying to get that cookie!

I find it's easiest to re-inforce something they start on their own. Working on show me the teethies right now.

azaleyes
February 19th, 2007, 11:21 AM
All of my dogs except for Jewel (she is learning at the moment, only six months old) know the regular obedience commands but only one dog really knows "tricks".

Tigger can do the basic/easy to learn tricks - roll over, side (substitute for "Bang Bang"), shake left, shake right, crawl, sit pretty... :]

Bronze, being a service dog ex-trainee knows no "fun" tricks but has learned some of the more pratical tricks that they are taught - i.e back up, paws up, paws down, jump on, jump off,ect.

Dog Dancer
February 19th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Shadow and Halo know the usual stuff also. Halo will go through the routine of offering her paws one at a time at the dinner table in hopes of getting snacks. If you tell her to lay down she'll offer one paw, then the other, then the first one again. When that doesn't get the reward she'll harumph and lay down.

They used to have two little lambs that said Happy Easter when they were squeeked. Kids toys but the dogs got them. So they both learned Go Get Happy Easter and they'd run and bring me a lamb. That was funny. They also know get the rope, get the duck those kind of things.

Shadow will not do what we call "circus tricks" though. She's too dignified. Keep the stupid cookie - I won't perform is her attitude.

dtbmnec
February 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM
My two boys and Dart will all sit....only if there's a treat/food though :P

Still it saved our legs from becoming their latest scratch toy :laughing:

They'll also go "up" if you hold the treat above them by about a foot. :) They seem to like it (and nibbling on the fingers)

Best part is that now if we have food and they want some they'll just sit there until we "notice" and decide to give them food. That definately beats having them trying to crawl into your lap to take a look at the food!

Megan

LynLyn
April 21st, 2007, 08:33 PM
Here are some of Bowser's tricks, I think he looks adorable in this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwFh46Vc5HE