Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dead mouse breath

H.P.
February 15th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Any ideas on how to get rid of dead mouse breath? I don't have a dog tooth brush or toothpaste, could I use human ones? Dog food and water didn't help. Am I doomed to go back out in the cold to get doggy dental care devices? The story is below, if you are interested.

While out on our walk Tuesday, Sydney found a rather decayed dead mouse, and found it great fun to roll around on (her first encounter with a dead smelly thing). When we got home, she got a bath, not big deal. Today, out on our walk, she got a hold of a "fresher" dead mouse, and thought it would be good to eat. She is usually good with "drop it" but this was a special treat, so I got to fish it out. Then thanks to the fact that I throw like a girl, and didn't have a great hold on her, she got it again, I took it away again and away we went. Now we have really bad dead mouse breath, not good when she tries to give kisses!

Hunter's_owner
February 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Human toothpaste can't be used on a dog.

Also, my friend's dog ate a dead mouse last year, and when she called the vet about it, the vet told her to bring her dog in,they would de-worm him as mice may have tapeworms and also, because the mouse was dead, the possibility of being poisoned was there.

I would check this out with a vet if I were you, just to be on the safe side.

my[moo]
February 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Definitely ask your vet about it. Good luck..yuck it must have been discustion pulling that out of her mouth..don't you just love them sometimes;)

H.P.
February 15th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Thank you! I didn't think I could human toothpaste, just thought I would check (I was hoping I was wrong). I don't think I need a trip to the vet since she didn't eat it, or even bite it (that I know of), she was just trying to hide it from me in her mouth, but I will give them a call in the morning to be on the safe side. and yes, I do love 'em. :crazy: And I am really glad that she is not food possessive!!! No :dog: Kisses tonight I guess!:sad:

my[moo]
February 15th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Ooooh..she didn't eat it..derr I should have known that..well if I were you I'd be out at the pet store tomorrow getting some doggy tooth paste because that breath must be horrible:frustrated:

jesse's mommy
February 15th, 2007, 07:26 PM
The only human toothpaste you can use on a dog is baby toothpaste. There's no fluoride in it.

OntarioGreys
February 15th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Use a bit of baking soda on a human tooth brush, they use a damp cloth to remove excess baking soda, he will probably want a drink of water after, it can be used once in a while, but too high in sodium for everyday use

If you have some peppermint oil put a dropof the damp cloth

I use a colgate spin brush for cleanng my gangs teeth