Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Dog Despises My Cats...what to do??

allisonl_1
February 15th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I know that dogs and cats do not always get along, but my dog has taken it to another level. She will hunt down the cats non-stop, all hours of the day. The cats hate her (which is undestandable) and she is quite ruthless with them. I don't know what to do, I love my dog and my cats... I need help/suggestions.

OntarioGreys
February 15th, 2007, 03:53 PM
What are you doing to stop the behaviour?

allisonl_1
February 15th, 2007, 06:11 PM
right now I am just trying to keep her from killing them. She does not seem to want to play with them, it is not a curiousity, she seems to want to hurt/eat them. I am trying to allow the dog to be near the cat while acting as a barrier so that there is not a fight, but everytime I do, she tries to eat the cat. I'm not exagerating either, she is literally trying to tear the cats apart.

Dracko
February 15th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Is this new behavior? How long have the cats/dog interacted? Would seem strange if it's all of a sudden that the dog is like this with the cats. If it were me I would never let the dog near the cats at all unless the behavior changes.

I am greatful my cats rule the house and the dog knows his place.

OntarioGreys
February 15th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Are you able to break the dogs focus off the cat, that is key in knowing whether is dog is cat trainable

a bit on cat testing

http://www.greycanine.com/greytfiles/Cattesting.htm

I have a couple posts here on introducing cats to dogs, one of my dogs is very high preydrive, but the key to me determining whether he was cat trainable was being at the vet, he was more worried about what would be happening to him than the cats running loose at the vets. He will never be "catsafe" if a strange cat comes into my yard he will most likely kill it, it ws necessary for me to have indoor cats only and teach him they were offlimits for chasing eventually he accepted them as part of his pack

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35616&page=2&highlight=introducing+dog+cat

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32166&highlight=introducing+dog+cat

allisonl_1
February 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
So, it is official, something in my dog has snapped...:sad: She has now attacked 3 dogs, and myself on top of the cats. I don't really think she meant to bite at me though. I was restraining her on a leash when she went after the last dog and I think she snapped at me out of frustration. Regardless of why, I have children in my home, cats, and family that visits with dogs, I just can't keep her. It kills me because I love her, but if I can't trust what am I supposed to do? I don't want to have to keep her locked up in the basement all day, but I can't even walk her during the day anymore because if we run into another dog she will go after it. She needs a nice quiet home with no other animals. She needs an owner that lives in the bush. She is a good dog, she is just becoming more and more anti social, no matter what I do:sad:

chico2
February 19th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Allison,I am sorry to hear that,but you might not have a choice but to rehome her,if she is that aggressive.
Are you certain there is not a healthissue?
What kind of dog is she?
Finding her a new home will not be easy and if you hand her over to a shelter,chances are she will not make it:sad: unless someone comes along who knows how to properly train her..
It's too bad you were not able to find out ahead of time,that she would see cats as prey.

allisonl_1
February 19th, 2007, 03:01 PM
She is an 11 month old shepx. She is very small for her breed though, as for her cross, I can only say what she probably is not, but not deffinitely what she is. She was due to be fixed in about a month.......I know that helps with male dogs, they tend to get a little calmer. What about females, maybe that is the answer. I can't keep her if I can't trust her, but maybe I can find her a home.

TeriM
February 20th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Spaying will not answer your problem although should definately be done for many other reasons. Locking her in the basement and limiting walking will only make a bad situation worse. A dog that young needs lots of interaction and exercise. Buy yourself a halti so that you can have better control while walking. Whatever you do don't leave the dog unattended with the cats or your children. Only intensive training and a strong leadership role from you will be able to help.

I would highly recommend that you contact a trainer that has experience with agressive dogs and have your dog evaluated. The dog is only 11 months so it may just be a teenage dog "testing it's boundaries" and you can work to overcome the situation. If not then you will need to responsibly rehome the dog (don't just drop it at a local shelter) or consider alternate options :sad: .

allisonl_1
February 20th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Locking her in the basement is exactly what I don't want to do. As for her walks, during the day we stay close to home, at night my fiance takes herfor a 45min jog around our local lake. So it's not that I am ignoring her now....I am just running out of options because I want better for her. If another animal comes into my home for its safety (and mine and hers as well) she has to be taken to the basement for now. I am looking into a trainer/behaviouralist, where I am located, the only training I have been able to find is group training throught the local pet store, and she is not ready for a group of dogs. As for the shelter....never, I won't let her go until I find a home better than mine for her, which is'nt so easy ;) .