Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New kitten coming soon

SunnysMum
February 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Last month, Sunny became quite ill with FLUTD – very scary, but he is fine now – back to being his regular, bossy and playful self. Sunny’s vet asked my husband if we would be interested in giving Sunny a little brother. About 3 months ago, a woman brought in a kitten she had found outside, cold and soaking. He has been at the vet’s ever since. After his very rough start in life, he’s now a healthy and playful kitten, approx. 4-1/2 months old. Everyone we’ve spoken to at the vet’s office loves the kitten and they all want him to have a good, happy life. He’s adorable. :cloud9: We gave it serious consideration and yesterday, made the exciting decision to become a 2-cat household. We’re going to bring the kitten home at the end of the month (after my daughter’s birthday party - a house full of giggling girls might be too much for the new little guy – we’ve all agreed it would be best to wait until after). Also, he will be neutered before we take him home. He’s another black cat – (but he has all four of his legs – our Sunny only has three) and loves lots of attention (just like our Sunny-Boy).

We’ve had Sunny for almost 3 years (he is 6 years old now). He is my first cat and I just adore him! (Ah…that magic spell a cat can put on you….I’m hooked! :lovestruck: ) Right now, I feel like an expectant mother who already has one child (don’t laugh at me…:o ) – I don’t want Sunny (who is a total Velcro cat!) to feel jealous or upset. We will do all I’ve read about here (and other places) – keep the new kitten in my daughter’s room for as long as it takes; give both cats a lot of attention; go slow with the introductions, etc. I do understand that there will be some hissing - I’m sure the bossy one will let the new kid know his ‘place’ in our home. But I guess I’m more worried about it than I thought … last night I dreamed that “they” told me that Sunny had to be taken away to a farm for old cats now that I had a young one (don’t laugh at me…:o ). Phew! I never thought I’d feel this way about a cat!

I sure hope Sunny likes the new kid (we haven’t been able to agree on a new name yet)

I’m very excited about our new kitten (he is sooooo cute and my heart breaks when I think of him all alone outside, cold and wet!), but as you can see, I’m a bit stressed about Sunny’s acceptance of the new kid. I just don’t know with Sunny – he may welcome another cat in the house, or it may upset his current happy life. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. Thanks for letting me ramble! Any “been there; done that” stories or advice will be appreciated!

Hunter's_owner
February 15th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Awww that is soooo excellent:highfive: Good for you for taking in a kitty in need of a loving home:cloud9:
I would be very excited too:o

I don't have any advice in helping them get used to each other, but I am sure others here will be more than helpful:)

chico2
February 15th, 2007, 02:51 PM
OMG,I am certainly not laughing at you,I am the same worry-wart with my 3 cats.:laughing:
I think it's great you are taking a little rescue-kitten,2 cats are always better than one.
However,I have one black velcro-cat too,he did not like my Vinnie and still does not,but no hissing(well occasionally)or fighting,Vinnie has instead bonded with my other cat,Rocky.
There will be hissing and such goings on,a slow introduction is the best thing.
Did you ever show us a pic of your tri-pod Sunny,if not,please do:cat:

Winston
February 15th, 2007, 03:05 PM
This sounds crazy but it worked for me! I have 2 cats...when they were kittens the male cat had to go to the vet for a couple of days...when he came home it was a battle...the reason the vet told me was because he smelled different...Well the fighting went on for a couple of days.....in the end my vet told me to get a little bit of baby powder and rub it on both cats....not a lot of it just a bit! this way they both smell the same....I have to tell you within 15 minutes they were back to normal!!!

Cindy

P.S Thanks for taking in a rescue! There are sooooo many!

RolandsMom
February 15th, 2007, 03:15 PM
We took in an adult male cat (when i was back in S.A.) and at the time had a 5 cat household. i seem to remember it only took a day or two and then not long after that they were all terribly good friends. (we had three females and a male at that point.)
i know sometimes it can be hard for the older kitty but i think that, just like children, as long as they get lots of love and affection and their routine stays the same as much as possible they will be fine. it will take a little while for them to find their place with each other but the little one is young enough to learn pretty fast whose boss!!
Good luck and congratulations on your new addition to be!
(oh and im certainly not laughing at you either! im one of those worry mommies too!)

SunnysMum
February 15th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks for your kind words. We're looking forward to the little monkey-kitten and hope he will be as happy as Sunny is. AND I sure hope Sunny stays as happy as he is...:fingerscr

Here is a picture of the big love sponge:

Prin
February 16th, 2007, 01:19 AM
What a cute kitty! Good luck! :):goodvibes:

TeriM
February 16th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Congrats on the soon-to-be addition. Sunny looks adorable :lovestruck: .

mummummum
February 16th, 2007, 06:56 AM
You and Sunny are :angel: 's for welcoming this new "Star" into your lives.

marsupial mama
February 16th, 2007, 08:38 AM
what an adorable kitty! Congratulations! :cat:

I shall be adding "love sponge" to my vocabulary, it fits our kitten to a T :laughing:

chico2
February 16th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Sunnysmom,he is adorable,looks a little like my Chico,who is a definet love-sponge:lovestruck: