Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Maddie the Manx - sad news

JanM
February 15th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Well, I am finally able to share my sad news. I had to return Maddie to the SPCA. She was doing so well and she and Amber (female 1.5 yr Golden) had started to develop a bond and Shadow (male Manx about 3 yrs) and Maddie were showing signs of starting to get along but Bobby - the most laid back dog in the world would have killed her. The first incident was in the living room where Bobby approached Maddie and she swatted him out of fear - he reacted so fast I was stunned - growled and lunged at her. Silly me - without thinking I stuck my foot between them - and now have extra holes in my Holey Soles shoes and had a very sore, bruised foot too. I figured that was just an isolated incident and wasn't too concerned but a few days later, Maddie was in the kitchen and I opened the door to let Bobby in. He saw her - he growled and charged at her. I got between them and stopped it but that did it. I could never leave the animals alone in the house or yard after that - so I took her back to the SPCA. I hope and pray she gets the wonderful home she deserves. She is an awesome kitty and deserves the best.

This happened a couple of weeks ago and I've been missing her so much that I just wasn't ready to talk about it - but I guess I'm getting over it. The fact that Bobby showed such aggression is still shocking to me - he has never ever showed aggression to anyone or anything.

Skryker
February 15th, 2007, 10:22 AM
:grouphug: Jan! I'm sorry it didn't work out for Maddie. It sounds like you did what was best for her and for Bobby-you never would have trusted him around her. :grouphug:

Frenchy
February 15th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Oh Jan I'm so sorry :sad:

MartiniGIrl
February 15th, 2007, 02:29 PM
that's too bad.

But did you not separate them at first? Whenever you bring a new animal into a household that already has an animal, you should put the new one in a different room for a day or two so they can get used to each other by sniffing under the door.

After a few days you should switch. Put the older animal into the room where the new one was and vice versa so they can get used to each others smells. Only after that should you just let them loose in your home.

H.P.
February 15th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Jan,

I am so sorry for your loss! I know how hard it is to take a baby back to the shelter. When I took Alison back, I cried the whole time. But she found a great home, where her brother could go with her, and I sure hope that Maddie finds the right home too. Some times it is just not the right fit, and you don't know until you try. She and Bobby just had bad chemistry apparently. :grouphug: