Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I have hives and my skin is cracking on my hands!!

raingirl
February 14th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I don't know what to do. Starting this morning I had hives on my hands and there are these like little minute scratches/cracks in my skin. I thought it was dry skin, but I don't see how it is, since I use lotion like 20-30 times a day...

My hands are also starting to get a little swollen and stiff...

any ideas what this might be? An allergic reaction to something? I haven't used/ingested anything new/different that I can think of at all in the last few days.

Prin
February 14th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I think you should go to the doctor... :o

brandynva
February 14th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Hives are definetly an allergic reaction. If you are seeing swelling you should take some Benadryl. I would worry about your throat closing up. Not trying to scare you. I had hives for 6 months and went through allergy testing and everything. They never did figure out what it was. The scratches I don't know about though. If you still have them tomorrow, I would suggest a doctor. Do you have a cat and got minute scratches maybe? My hubby is allergic to cats when they scratch him. He gets really itchy and swollen.

Anyway, definetly take some Benadryl.. I hope you feel better soon!

Frenchy
February 14th, 2007, 09:25 PM
You should defenetly go see a doc. It could be stress related too, with everything you've been thru lately.

hazelrunpack
February 14th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I don't know what to do. Starting this morning I had hives on my hands and there are these like little minute scratches/cracks in my skin. I thought it was dry skin, but I don't see how it is, since I use lotion like 20-30 times a day...

My hands are also starting to get a little swollen and stiff...

any ideas what this might be? An allergic reaction to something? I haven't used/ingested anything new/different that I can think of at all in the last few days.

The swollen and stiff thing would have me a bit worried. Are you going to get them looked at tomorrow? Is anything else stiff, or just your hands?

Hives often do indicate an allergic reaction--sometimes they're just from nerves, though.

I had a friend who would sometimes react to some of the soaps they used in public restrooms... She'd get hives...but not usually cracks and dry skin, though. :shrug:

I agree--best advice: if you're not better in the morning, see your vet and post back here with an update :thumbs up Seriously, though, I'd see a doc if they aren't back to normal by tomorrow. The Benadryl is a good idea...

Prin
February 14th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Ok, I don't want to freak you out but my friend's mom has scleroderma, and it started exactly how you're describing. :o It's probably not it, but I thought I should mention it, just because that's the first thing that came to mind (but I didn't want to scare you).

Here's some info:
http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/scleroderma/scleroderma.htm
Scroll down to the "Limited cutaneous scleroderma" and "Diffuse cutaneous scleroderma"...:o

And other info: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/scleroderma.html

Byrd
February 14th, 2007, 09:36 PM
The stiffness gets me worried too, see a doc. :pray:

joeysmama
February 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM
We can't diagnose over the internet. Only your vet can tell you for sure.....(oh sorry, force of habit;) )

My daughter used to get allergic reactions to hard water and most soaps. I think the Benadryl sounds like a good idea though if it's hives. And a doctor could probably tell you exactly what it is and give you something that would help more than over the counter lotions.

breeze
February 14th, 2007, 09:41 PM
hives can be also from the dry indoor heater, I get them all the time in winter back hands arms legs, especialy went I sweat alot I have to usecordazone cream for them when they get bad. the swelling could be from the hives also, but like everybody said check with your doc if not better in the morning

raingirl
February 14th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys. I've had bad allergic reactions before (i am severely allergic to several drugs, bees, cats, dust, and grass - all of which cause me to break out in hives upon hives upon hives). I also get really dry skin too in the winter, but this doesn't feel the same. Feels more like hives/allergic reaction.

It feels like an allergic reaction, but I have NO idea from what. I just went over everything I used/ate in the last 2-3 days and there was nothing new/different than normal. I do recall my throat being VERY scratchy yesterday and I was coughing a ton, but it's ok today (I didn't link the two until just now). I don't have any benadryl in the house, and no car, so no way to get any.

My upper back and neck are also itchy, so my bf checked and I have tiny hives/scratches/cracks there too.

I'm going to walk the dog, which means my hands are going to hurt a ton putting my mittens on, and when I get back, i'm going to soak my hands in warm water with epsom salts, see if that helps. I may even just have a warm bath too, with epsom salts and bath oil to moisturize my skin.

If it's still bad tomorrow, i'm gonna go to a walk-in clinic before work.

brandynva
February 14th, 2007, 09:50 PM
It sounds like you've had some experience with allergic reactions then! I wonder if there are any viruses that would cause the symptoms you are describing. Hmm. Well it definetly sounds like a visit to the vet is in order. ;) I hope they know what is wrong and can help you get relief. Hives are no fun, as you well know.

joeysmama
February 14th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Olive oil in the bath water is even better than bath oil ! And a baking soda bath can be great for your skin also.

technodoll
February 14th, 2007, 10:17 PM
i would ask bf to walk the dogs while i soak in a nice soothing bath :o

i hope it's nothing serious, please keep us posted ok? :grouphug:

raingirl
February 15th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Well, last night I remembered I had some leftover prescription cortisone cream, so I dug it out and tried it. Within 10 minutes, my hands felt a lot better.

I don't know what caused it, but at least it feels better now.

Byrd
February 15th, 2007, 09:39 PM
But, is it completely better?

raingirl
February 15th, 2007, 09:46 PM
It's not swollen or sore much anymore, and less red. Just have the small cuts/scratches and my skin is a little itchy.

I think it might have been a reaction to anti-bacterial soap. I have used the stuff before, just not for the last 2 months. I used it for the first time two nights ago, and this started after.

Byrd
February 15th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Ah, quite possibly.

hazelrunpack
February 15th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I've reacted to the antibacterial soap before, too--so we try to buy the stuff without... Hard to find, though.

Mocha's mum
February 15th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Maybe cleaning products? Some of them are pretty darn harsh on the skin....:shrug:

joeysmama
February 15th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I read somewhere that we're using too many antibacterial products. That plain soap is fine for most everything. I've been trying to only buy regular soap at home. I keep the antibacterial pumps in the car though.

Prin
February 16th, 2007, 12:47 AM
I'm glad you're better and I'm sorry for mentioning scary things.:o :sorry:

:goodvibes: