Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crazy Question About Dog Fur

brandynva
February 14th, 2007, 02:54 PM
So as the title suggests this is a crazy question. My dog Roscoe is Border Collie X Australian Cattle Dog or Blue Heeler. His mama was a typical fluffy coated BC, and I never saw daddy, but I think all of this breed have a short coat. Roscoe has some flat short spots and some fluffy longer spots, but he is definetly not long haired like mama. Is there a chance he ever will be? When does a dog get it's final adult coat? He will be a year old on March
10th and I figured he already had it, but felt like it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks guys!

brandynva
February 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Hmm, I guess nobody has any thoughts on this? I know I'm crazy, that's okay. hehe :crazy:

Hunter's_owner
February 14th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Actually, I'm not sure what the answer is...My friend has a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and his fur as a puppy was much different than it is now, it took about 2 years to change, but I am not sure if this is typical of all puppies:shrug:

Kristin7
February 14th, 2007, 07:09 PM
You know, I think my last dog was this same mix... her fur grew longer when she was over a year for sure. It was sometime between 1-2 yrs when it stopped getting longer. It wasn't very long, just got more so on her tail especially, but overall too, though to a lesser extent than the tail.

mummummum
February 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Hmm, I guess nobody has any thoughts on this? I know I'm crazy, that's okay. hehe :crazy:

Just wanted you to know Brandynva that I had your question "open" when I paused for a nap :D

When I think of my mutts over the years it's usually into the second year when they "come into their own". The only pure Aussie Cattle dog I've ever met has hair as coarse as a broom bristle. BC's hair I think is fairly variable with some double-coating. I would imagine a Blue Heeler is typical hound hair and wouldn't change much between year one and two.

brandynva
February 14th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Interesting observations. Roscoe's seems to be getting thicker around his neck and his tail. He's chewed it off around his belly and back legs, poor feller. But it's intersting on his back and torso. I can run my hands over him and it seems like the black part is that rough, wiry fur, whereas the white is soft and silky. With his freckles and spotted tongue he has a lot of cattle dog in him, including his howly bark. So I wonder if over the next year his fur will get any of that border collie fluff or not. The fun of mix breeds right? I think I shall name my breed a Boreeler. :D Think I can profit from it?? :rolleyes:

Mum -- I do that too. I'll have posts open and then get sidetracked and forget all about it until later. hehe

Thanks ya'll for the responses!

Prin
February 14th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I was gonna answer... I hit "reply" and everything... But I didn't have an answer.. My doggies' fur constantly changes. Jemma had the softest fur ever and then she got swimmer itch and I had to change her food and her hair is all rough and greasy now. Boo has rabbit fur all the time, but it gets thicker and thicker and thicker as he gets older. :shrug:

Hunter's_owner
February 14th, 2007, 08:49 PM
But it's intersting on his back and torso. I can run my hands over him and it seems like the black part is that rough, wiry fur, whereas the white is soft and silky.

This is the same way my friend's Cavalier was when he was about a year old. His red fur was coarse and the white was soft. His puppy fur was a much different texture than his adult fur. Now, he is three and a half and his fur is all the same texture.

brandynva
February 14th, 2007, 09:01 PM
That makes sense. So now I know what to expect! :D I've never experienced having a dog from puppy to adult before. He was such a little fluff ball as a puppy like they all are. I miss the soft puppy fur. :cloud9: I dont miss the puppy mess though. Anyway, thanks for the responses. I realize there is no set answer. Especially when you have a mix breed it's hard to tell.

hazelrunpack
February 14th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Even for all the same breed there's no set answer. Our setters all get their adult coats at different ages--Lil Belle already had hers before we got her at the age of 2 and Gauge, our first setter, didn't really hair out until age 5. We think Macie has her adult coif now, and probably Ember does too, but Cole is suddenly taking on his mama's curly hair, so he's still working on his adult coat. Cass is probably done with the switch, too, but her adult coat is almost indistinguishable from her puppy coat except for it being a little longer. And Ridge is still growing her pantaloons at age 3. :D I got my adult coat when I was 26 and it's already graying and starting to fall out at 51. he he he

brandynva
February 14th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Even for all the same breed there's no set answer. Our setters all get their adult coats at different ages--Lil Belle already had hers before we got her at the age of 2 and Gauge, our first setter, didn't really hair out until age 5. We think Macie has her adult coif now, and probably Ember does too, but Cole is suddenly taking on his mama's curly hair, so he's still working on his adult coat. Cass is probably done with the switch, too, but her adult coat is almost indistinguishable from her puppy coat except for it being a little longer. And Ridge is still growing her pantaloons at age 3. :D I got my adult coat when I was 26 and it's already graying and starting to fall out at 51. he he he

lol Hazel! Interesting info though. So I wonder if dogs fur changes everytime they go through a major seasonal shed... Hmm... Cuz his last major shed was when he shed his puppy coat. He went from that to his winter coat pretty much. So this summer should prove interesting. He WAS getting his pantaloons until he chewed them off. Maybe he thought they were too girly. ;)

hazelrunpack
February 14th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Setters seem to have two seasonal coats--a shorter, denser coat for winter and a longer, more flowing coat for summer. So when they blow their coats they look different depending on the time of year. And the two seasonal coats look different before and after the adult coat is finally obtained...so a puppy winter coat looks a lot different than an adult winter coat...

What I can't explain is why they only have two seasonal hairdos but they seem to be blowing their coats every 6 weeks! (And I have the hairball collection to prove it! LOL)

hazelrunpack
February 14th, 2007, 10:00 PM
He WAS getting his pantaloons until he chewed them off. Maybe he thought they were too girly. ;)

he he he I asked Ridge about the pantaloons and she's of the mind that they're very macho... :D Maybe she and Roscoe should exchange pantaloons... :laughing:

brandynva
February 14th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Mine are shedding like crazy too and have been all winter. I don't know if it's the unseasonably warm temps or what. After Roscoe's bath there was tons of black fur on the bottom of the tub. And we sweep everyday, but there is still tumbleweeds that line the walls. :rolleyes: Oh well, that's what lint rollers are for! I can't imagine life with 6! :eek:

brandynva
February 14th, 2007, 10:02 PM
he he he I asked Ridge about the pantaloons and she's of the mind that they're very macho... :D Maybe she and Roscoe should exchange pantaloons... :laughing:

Ooo la la! :angel:

hazelrunpack
February 14th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Mine are shedding like crazy too and have been all winter. I don't know if it's the unseasonably warm temps or what. After Roscoe's bath there was tons of black fur on the bottom of the tub. And we sweep everyday, but there is still tumbleweeds that line the walls. :rolleyes: Oh well, that's what lint rollers are for! I can't imagine life with 6! :eek:

Life with 6 is about like life with 2 only with 3 times the hair! :crazy: he he he and you never ever want to get close to the floor here--you drown in hairballs! :laughing:

OntarioGreys
February 14th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Even with greyhounds they have different coat types even though all short haired
Callies hairs were longer very fine and fluffy
Maya has more the medium length semifine
Sunny's is the shortest but a thicker shaft, but in summer his will even become short, and around his face as ears it will texture of a soft velvet.

In the summer all their coat thin, Sunny and Maya have coated lower chests in winter and nearly bald in summer, while Callies chest never filled in the bald area just got bigger

brandynva
February 14th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Life with 6 is about like life with 2 only with 3 times the hair! :crazy: he he he and you never ever want to get close to the floor here--you drown in hairballs! :laughing:

Yeah here either, even with two. The kids love to roll around in the floor and they get up covered. I don't vacuum everyday, about twice a week. And the dogs have one couch that is "theirs" so that the other one remains relatively dog hair free. You can tell my animals are spoiled when they get their own furniture. hehe Although they do cuddle with us on the other one. Anyway I digress. :sorry: