Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yay, no more Medi-Cal!

Tommysmom
February 14th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Ok, so the ongoing saga of my probably-IBD doggy continues, LOL. We're now on prednisone and the vet wanted Tommy to eat Medi-Cal veggie food - y'all probably know the drill, single protein/single carb that he's never had before, yada yada yada. Well, as it turns out (big surprise) Tommy is NOT a vegetarian... he wouldn't touch the stuff! We tried for 4 days and he'd only eat when he was starved, and even then he'd eat just enough to stay alive and that's it - no good for a growing puppy.

I got fed up and went shopping. Thanks to this fantaaaaaaaastic board, I know a teensy bit about doggy foods and I bought him Natural Balance venison and brown rice formula. It meets the requirements the vet wanted, it's a WAY better food than the Medi-Cal stuff, AND he likes it! We still have to coax Tommy to start eating, but once he gets a piece down he eats and he loves it. So we have a food he likes, a food the vet likes, and a food I'm happier feeding to him.

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone on this board. Thanks to the great info here, I knew there were better foods out there that would still fit the requirements we had and it was easy enough to find cuz I knew exactly what to look for. Even the vet was impressed when we called and told him!

Now here's hoping Tommy can stick this one out for a while!

Prin
February 14th, 2007, 01:22 PM
:fingerscr :fingerscr for Tommy! I hope he does well on the NB.:)

Tommysmom
February 14th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks Prin! Actually, I remembered you saying that NB had a vegetarian one too, so I got a sample of that one and tried Tommy on that... but nah, he likes meat, LOL. So thanks for the suggestions :grouphug: ! I must admit, I do feel much better knowing the growing puppy has decent food and not vet stuff :) .

Hunter's_owner
February 14th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Great to hear. :thumbs up Hopefully he will keep getting better and better:fingerscr

rainbow
February 14th, 2007, 06:04 PM
YAY for Tommy :highfive: ....I hope he does well on the NB venison and brown rice. :fingerscr