Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My poor Robin

chico2
February 14th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I don't know why he did not go south with the others,if I had wings,I'd be gone..
He sits at my heated bird-bath and drinks water,I bought him some raisins and cut up apples for him,maybe he'll be ok..
Here he is,could not get too close...poor beautiful Robin:sad:

erykah1310
February 14th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Chico its because he knows he's got it good sticking by you!!! Why risk losing track of your house, Fighting the cold weather to stay there may be worth it for the cutie pie:cloud9:

Prin
February 14th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Aww, that's sad. He's got somebody special looking out for him though. :cloud9:

Skryker
February 14th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I was worried when I saw this, chico! I was afraid you were going to say that he'd frozen. :sad: Poor little guy. Maybe next year, he'll know enough to fly south. At least he has a heated spa and room service. :)

chico2
February 14th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Well,as for the spa:D it does not get warm,the heater just keeps the water from freezing over completely...I just LOVE Robins,but this one made a misstake:sad:

Hunter's_owner
February 14th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I've seen robins around in the winter here too. I don't know why some decide to stay:confused:

But I think he (or she, lol) has got it pretty good around your place;) He looks plump enough:o

chico2
February 14th, 2007, 01:52 PM
He's plump looking because he's trying to stay warm:sad: there was 4 here at one point,don't know what happened to the others..

Skryker
February 14th, 2007, 01:57 PM
My resident sparrow pair are all puffed up today, too. They wait in the cedar tree until the snow lets up a bit, then come over to the pine tree and the porch for food. The chickadees have been frequent visitors today too-and yell at us furiously when we venture outside! Cheeky little devils-seems rude to yell at the person who feeds you!:D

Stacer
February 14th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Chico, you should get your hubby to build a birdy condo, fully insulated, heated and carpeted.

chico2
February 14th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Now that is a brilliant idea,although I already have 4 occupied birdhouses,a condo would be great:laughing:

TeriM
February 14th, 2007, 04:17 PM
This is our first year with a bird feeder. I just love watching the birds and the cats love the entertainment (no worries, they are strictly inside kitties). We have quite a few robins here but it's also much milder here so that is probably the reason.

phoenix
February 14th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Chico, robins are carnivores, you could give him some ground beef (looks like a worm) or some mealworms from a pet store maybe?

chico2
February 14th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Phoenix,that's a good idea,but they do eat berries and things too,in the summer I've seen them eating in my mulberry-tree and now this one is eating some red berries in my front garden and my raisins.
I think in the winter,they will eat pretty well anything,except seeds..

happycats
February 15th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Oh Chico, poor little robin, I love robins too:sad: If there is any way you can capture him, I know the THS will take him into their wildlife area, maybe call them, as they may be able to advise how to catch him.

I had one over the fall, who seemed to have trouble swallowing, we tried to catch him to see if we could help, but were unable too. We did make sure he was well fed (they love grapes and apples and cooked hamburgers broken up). We found him dead early one morning, I was so sad, and still wish I could have captured him to help.

Good luck:pray: :fingerscr with that sweet thing, and please keep us updated.

chico2
February 16th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Happycats,I wish I could capture him,right now he is sitting lapping up the sun at my birdbath,it does not seem to be anything wrong with him,he still flies very well.
I am glad I have the heater,apparently birds use up too much energy eating snow for water.Hopefully the very cold weather is almost over,he's survived this long:pray:
I am going to defrost some hamburgermeat,good thing hubby is away;)

jessi76
February 16th, 2007, 10:11 AM
from what i understand, robins don't go south. instead, they go deeper into the forest, to help protect them from the elements.

chico2
February 16th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Jessi,that is not what I have read,but I have heard of people who see several Robins in the winter,but mostly I believe they fly south.
I always get excited when I see the first Robin in the spring and hate it when we get a spring snowstorm....ok,so it does not take much to get me excited:lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
February 16th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Most robins head south for the winter unless the weather is extremely mild (one year we had flocks of robins until Dec 20, then a storm pushed them south), or there was a bumper fruit crop (they eat a lot of berries in the cold seasons), or they aren't feeling well. To be still alive that far north this time of year bodes well for your robin being able to make it through till March, which is when the robins come back, anyway (the first wave comes through here in very late Feb or very early Mar). :fingerscr

Meal worms might tempt it to a platform feeder. Bits of apple, berries, etc., might also. They eat high-bush cranberries, choke cherries, and berries in the wild, so if you're still seeing bushes with fruit on them, the robin is probably getting enough to eat. One year we chopped up a cake of suet and sprinkled that with some apple bits over a pile of dirt that was free of snow in the garden. Maybe put some suet on the feeder with the apples and mealworms (if you try them)?

They're attracted to disturbed earth, which is why we put the food on the dirt...but it looks like you've got too much snow for that ploy to work. :shrug:

He does look pretty fluffed--how cold was it when you took the pic?

Lucky bird that he found your heated birdbath!

chico2
February 17th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Hazel,I have suet out there,but I buy the ones with nuts and stuff,I,ll get a berry-one and see if he goes for it,I'll free a spot for him under the hedge.
I also have corn-kernels but I don't think he eats corn and a bush,that still has lots of red berries,I brush the snow off it:)
The day I took the pic,it was about -15C:sad:
I've also read,the males return first to look for suitable nest-sites any thruth in that?
I usually have a couple of nests in my Blue spruce and really love keeping an eye on them..thank's for the info.:thumbs up

chico2
February 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM
WOW,he has company:thumbs up
Yesterday while watching 'my'Robin at the birdbath,THREE more males arrived,hopefully the worst of the cold is over:fingerscr
Every time things get quiet and the squirrels freeze in their spot,I know,it's either a Hawk or a cat lurking.
Only the crows were making noise yesterday afternoon and then I saw why,a beautiful Redtailed Hawk searching for prey.
My 3 crows chased him away,but what a beautiful sight:thumbs up

Lukka'sma
March 11th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Chico I see robins year round here also. Mostly in the pine woods that I walk Lukka in.
What if you went to a live bait fishing store and bought some worms. Keep unused worms in your fridge:eek: . You might be able to bury a few in a small pail of dirt below the bird bath and make the robin think she found them all on her own.

hazelrunpack
March 11th, 2007, 12:54 PM
How's your robin doing, Chico? :fingerscr

The flocks should be on their way north now. Typically I'd be seeing some now--but there's so much snow that they'll still be pretty few and far between. Another couple of days I'll know for sure if they're here--they start vocalizing a few days after they arrive when they claim their territories. Your bird, if it made it through winter, will be getting more company very soon. :thumbs up

I'm not sure if the males migrate first, but it's a good bet...a lot of species do it that way. Gotta set up territory before the sweeter sex arrives :p

chico2
March 11th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Hazel,he is still alive,seems fine:thumbs up
I see him at my birdbath every morning and I cleared the snow off one of my bushes(red berries)which he sees to like...plus other stuff I put out.
Things are melting around here,hopefully he'll soon have some nice juicy worms:fingerscr
He is hanging out in my big Blue Spruce where they usually nest every summer..I can't wait for spring:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
March 11th, 2007, 07:25 PM
:highfive: Yep, and all his buddies are heading back to see him. Didn't see any robins today, but I did see a bluebird :thumbs up and they usually migrate at about the same time. :D I can't wait to see my first robin of the year!

CyberKitten
March 11th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Good news that he is still alive - did you make him a house or somewhere to keep warm at least? Burlap over a birdbath - I am thinking out loud here. I will ask my nurse friend who has 5 birds of her own but she is always having one orn or another it seems, sigh so she may not be the best source.

I'd feed him so he has lots of energy to keep warm (Was thinking of a program I saw today about some bears who had less energy because there was less snowfall in northern Ont, like here too for that matter - one of the probs of global warming.) Robins are a hearty bird so he has that going for him and he you for food - he just needs to keep warm!!!

Maya
March 11th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I just had to say how sweet he looks all fluffed up trying to keep warm on that bird bath. :lovestruck:

chico2
March 12th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Hazel,oh I wish we had Bluebirds:pray: they are beautiful,but live mostly in the countryside,I think:confused:
We get many different birds,especially in the spring,but many like orioles,buntings,crossbeaks etc...just stopover on their way somewhere else.
I love all birds,even the noisy Cracklers who should be back soon.
We time opening the pool by the Cracklers house-cleaning:laughing: they like to drop poop from their nests on the poolcover and when the babies are out of the nest,then we can open the pool...
I also get lots of gold-finches,pretty little things..I think I have a pic of them,although you can hardly see them:)

CK,the Robin takes care of his own nest-building,I have birdhouses but I have never seen a Robin go in to one.
I think he stuck around here because of my heated bird-bath,where he always had water.
Apparently birds waste a lot of needed energy in the winter eating snow for water,so my birdbath heater was a good investment.

clm
March 12th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I've had robins stick around some winters too. This poor guy sure picked a bad one. A lot of the early arrivals get caught here in nasty weather too. I've seen 2 at my feeders the past week. They'll take cracked corn from my feeders, so I always make sure I get a mix that has cracked corn in it this time of year. They eat berries that are left on the bushes too. Hopefully it'll get warm soon and they'll be able to eat all the worms and insects their little hearts desire.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2007, 02:41 PM
...I also get lots of gold-finches,pretty little things...

We get lots of goldfinches, too--all year round. They're just starting to turn yellow now. What are Cracklers? Never heard of them! I don't think we get any here... I can relate to the fecal sac story, though--the phoebes at my inlaws next door used to bring the sacs over here and bomb the dogs with them (unintentionally, I think :shrug: maybe not :laughing: )

We get lots of migrants, too--my favorites are warblers...so colorful!

And of course, my old standby buddies, the chickadees:

We had a huge winter group of chickadees this year--at least 13, probably more.

I thought I had a pic of the bluebird from last year (from afar...) but I don't see it, so I must not have scanned it in. We get two nesting pairs here--oddly, since we're in a wooded area. And no wrens--also surprising, since we're in perfect habitat for them!

chico2
March 12th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Hazel,I always thought they were called Cracklers,but I am wrong,they are called Grackles and more commonly just ordinary Black-Birds:laughing:
I saw one today,so it means spring is not far off:thumbs up
I too had a lot of Chickadees all winter,they are adorable and love teasing the cats when we are outside.

Prin
March 13th, 2007, 03:51 AM
I'm glad you got your robin through the winter, chico! :highfive: :)

hazelrunpack
March 13th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Hazel,I always thought they were called Cracklers,but I am wrong,they are called Grackles and more commonly just ordinary Black-Birds:laughing:
I saw one today,so it means spring is not far off:thumbs up
I too had a lot of Chickadees all winter,they are adorable and love teasing the cats when we are outside.

Oh, Grackles! I like "Cracklers" better! :D The name sort of fits them! :thumbs up

I heard the robins this morning before I left for town, so I know they're back. I scanned the trees quickly, but when they first arrive, they're so 'shy'...musta been in the spruce trees, cuz I didn't spot any in the oaks. But at least I know they made it back! :highfive: And to celebrate, Mother Nature melted off another 7 inches of snow today! :eek: Definitely mud tomorrow... :o

Lukka'sma
March 14th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Today for the first time this year I heard the red-wing black birds. That alway signals the beginning of spring in my book.

chico2
March 14th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Mine too,I saw a whole flock of Red-Winged Blackbirds at my feeders,:thumbs up makes me feel good!!! It's the little things that matter,right:love:

Winston
March 14th, 2007, 08:06 AM
It is a sure sign of spring! This lovely lady is in full gear for spring! She is back and looking to be in fine form! This is a picture of her last spring! I think she is gorgeous!

Cindy

chico2
March 14th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Oh WoW,Winston beautiful....:thumbs up
I have a Red Tailed Hawk and some other kind of Hawks coming here hunting around my feeders,have never been able to take a pic though!

Winston
March 14th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Madame X is a Peregrine Falcon....She has nested in Hamilton for the past 10 years or so! She is a fiesty bird! She has had many chicks over the years! Looking forward to another interesting year!

:)

Lukka'sma
March 14th, 2007, 10:15 AM
The Peregrine Falcon watch here is always a big event too. Volunteers line the streets when the little ones are learning to fly, and prepare to stop traffic in the event that one of the birds lands on the road.
I will soon start checking this site http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html
to track my hummers. Best get the feeder bleached and ready for another migration.

Winston
March 14th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Lukkas mom! I am one of those crazy bird watchers! Well I have not had to go rescue one in the street yet! Yikes ! I hope not! They are such amazing birds to watch! It is nice to be able to see them on a live web cam too! from the time the egg arrives to the day they make their first flight!

Cindy

Lukka'sma
March 14th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Wait a minute, we don't have a web cam as far as I know for our Peregrines. Do you have a link you can post so I can see yours?

Winston
March 14th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Absolutely!

Hamilton is @ http://www.hamiltonnature.org/hamfalcam.html

Most live webcams can be found through the Canadian Peregrine Foundation @ http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/

Just scroll down and you will see live web cams!

Interesting to read that London had 3 females sucessfully fledge in 2006...They resident female of the London nest was killed this past summer due to an accident. So this spring will certainly be an interesting year for London! A new female hopefully! It usually doesnt take the male long to find another mate!

Cindy

P.S I have alot of live web cam links for birds, bears, eagles, osprey, polar bears, penguins you name it! Technology has come a long way!

Lukka'sma
March 14th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the links
Seems to me that I also heard that the male had been killed maybe from three years back or so. I could be wrong. Hope we get a nesting pair this year.

Winston
March 14th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Yes London has had some tragedy's over the years...Hamilton actually fostered George a few years ago and he ended up being the male in London for a few years!

I forgot to mention that the live web cams are just starting back up! Some of them shut down for the winter months! but Spring is in the air so it will not be long!

I watched our couple this morning make a graceful flight together through the downtown core! What a sight to see!

Cindy

Lukka'sma
March 14th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Well I certainly will enjoy watching your web cam and thanks again for posting it. I know many here will most likely have a look too.
I don't think I am experienced in bird watching enough to know if I did see our Peregrines flying over head.
I have only started bird watching in the last three years or so and mostly its just as migration goes through my yard. I do get to see Rosebreasted Grossbeaks and also at Fanshawe Bluebirds:cloud9:
I have seen a bald eagle several times in the last month or so on the cliffs where I walk Lukka at Fanshawe conservation area. Very impressive.
I have often thought I'd like to go on birding tours of Point Pelee and maybe this will be the year that I actually do it.

chico2
March 14th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Lukkasmom,I read somwhere if you put the hummingbird-feeder out early spring you'll get Hummers looking for a good feeding and nesting place and hopefully stay:fingerscr
I am also a Butterfly-nut,several of my plants attract all kinds of butterflies,but mostly Monarchs.
Here are a couple of pics I took from last summer..

Lukka'sma
March 14th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Oh I love my butterflies. I have gone to the Wings Of Paradise http://www.wingsofparadise.com/ a couple of times but not in the last two years. I have heard that there is also one in Niagara Fall Ontario that is so much larger than this one. Some day I will go there too.
Funny but one of the things I love most when walking with Lukka in the summer are the little cabbage butterflies in the clover fields we stroll through. I doubt too many people get excited over them, but they make me smile each and every time I see them.

breeze
March 14th, 2007, 02:16 PM
those are beutiful pictures chico2

hazelrunpack
March 14th, 2007, 02:31 PM
...Funny but one of the things I love most when walking with Lukka in the summer are the little cabbage butterflies in the clover fields we stroll through. I doubt too many people get excited over them, but they make me smile each and every time I see them.

I love those little cabbage butterflies...and all the sulfurs! One year we caught a multiple-species mating flight of the sulfurs--there were about 4 different varieties, ranging in hue from yellow to two-toned orange/brown, plus the white of the cabbage butterflies... :cloud9:

Chico--do you know what type of swallowtail that is? I know we get eastern swallowtails, here, but that one seems to have longer tails...

Here's one of ours (some of them, the fems, I think, are black like the one you posted)

and another favorite, a fritillary:

breeze
March 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM
how in gods name do you get sooo close to get a picture of them

hazelrunpack
March 14th, 2007, 02:43 PM
how in gods name do you get sooo close to get a picture of them

Don't know what your secret is, Chico, but I cheat! :laughing: Zoom lens...

Macie, now, she has some skill at getting close:

:D

chico2
March 14th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Me too,I zoom,but you can get pretty close to a butterfly,unlike birds..
Hazel I really do not know what kind The Swallowtail is,I don't know names,I only know I love them and they are beautiful.
My cats love to chase the little yellow ones we always have an abundance of,if I can I will stop them from eating them,it's mostly Vinnie who goes nuts over butterflies.
Awww,I cannot wait for spring,I just LOVE it:thumbs up
Here's another from a few summers ago..

breeze
March 14th, 2007, 04:58 PM
WOW these are picture perfect :thumbs up

SuperWanda
March 14th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I am also entomology crazy! Maybe there should be an insect section on this forum!!! The black one is a Black Swallowtail that was in our garden last year.

Hazelrunpack - I think you are right and that yellow one is an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail or perhaps a Canadian Tiger Swallowtail??? They are similar so hard to tell.

Lukka'sma
March 14th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Oh, this is getting good. Who knew that so many of us share an insect interest as well.

chico2
March 15th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Ooooh,more butterfly-pics,LOVE them..:thumbs up
Maybe I should get a Butterfly-book..
I've been to the Niagara Butterfly place and we have a Butterfly Grden here in Oakville,down by the lake,but it's not much different than my own.
There is not many little living creatures I don't admire and am interested in,I've also been known to protect and watch spiders weaving their webs:laughing:
There is only one insect,I can simply not abide by,gives me shivers just looking at it's pic,the only bad thing about summer,are these things in the house!!:yuck:

Lukka'sma
March 15th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Yea that is pretty ugly chico2, for me it's the june bugs.
I can't stand them.

Lukka'sma
March 15th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Checking the Hamilton web cam! Very interesting to be able to see Madame X up so close. I can hardly wait for the nest to start. Winston will be able to watch the entire building of the nest and eggs hatching?

Winston
March 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Yes she is right across the street! I have internet at my desk at work so I can see he all day long! he he!

Cindy

Lukka'sma
March 15th, 2007, 11:57 AM
How far away are we time wise from nest building. If it is going to happen will it be say within the next couple of weeks or are we a month or more away?

Winston
March 15th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Well today she is showing some signs that she could be a just a few short weeks away. Usually around Easter we have the eggs! She will incubate the eggs for about 30-35 days and then we will see the little white fluffl balls...Then after that they change by the hour! It is so interesting to see the chicks born...then grow up...then fledge the nest! all within a short period of time! They generally leave the nest in July or August and hang out in the city until it is time to migrate!

Before that time you will see her like today spending time in the nest...digging around and cleaning it up! She tends to make her nest on the opposite site to the camera! Hope fully you wil be able to see her mate Surge! He is only 1/3 of her size! You can always tell the female from the male as the females are much larger than the males! However, Surge was her new mate as of last year so I am hoping to get a good look at the male this year to see if it is him! According to the web site they have not confirmed his identity yet!

Enjoy the addiction!!!!

Cindy

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Oooooo, chico, that's one ugly bug! :eek: What is that?!

Here's a mourning cloak butterfly to keep your mind off the ugly bugger:

And my buddy, Mr Garden Toad, who eats all the ugly bugs in my garden :D

He looks kinda grumpy, but he's actually quite a good conversationalist. :thumbs up

SuperWanda
March 15th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Chico's photo is of a house centipede (Scutigera coleoptrata). Centipedes are arthropods but belong in a different class (Chilopoda) than insects do (Class Insecta).

They are not harmful to humans and are predators on other small arthropods.

SuperWanda
March 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM
:sorry: :offtopic: again but I thought this was pretty interesting. I had so many monarch caterpillars in my garden last year and came across this stink bug who had pierced this monarch caterpillar and was sucking his insides out.

chico2
March 15th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Superwanda,I know the House Centipeds are not harmful to humans,but they really give me the willies.
I usually have lots of them when it gets hot and humid,I will not go in to a room if I see one there.
They are sooo fast(lots of legs:laughing: )even the cats have a hard time catching them.
A Stinkbug:confused: I don't think I've ever seen one of those,poor caterpillar:sad:
I don't kill anything,I even catch flies and put them outside,but these things I just cannot deal with:yell:
Hazel,thank's for the pretty pics:thumbs up

Skryker
March 15th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Lovely pics, guys! I'm hoping to get a butterfly garden put in this year. :fingerscr

We have had a pair of little falcons nesting across the street from us for the past 5 years-I thought they were Peregrines but apparently they are Merlins. I'm hoping to be able to get some pictures of them this year. I love watching (and hearing, lol!) the first flight lessons. The little ones get very indignant over the whole thing.

Winston, we lived just off of Bay Street in Hamilton, right by Copps, on the 10th floor, so I used to be able to watch the Peregrines flying. :cloud9: It was great!

Dancer, however, didn't care for being able to look down on birds flying past. :D And she took her job of scaring the pigeons off the balcony very, very seriously.

SuperWanda
March 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM
LOL Chico - well, at least your cats may be entertained -but you must be a true critter lover if you catch your flies!

Stink bugs are a fairly large group of insects - most feed on plants but some are predaceous. I see a lot on my raspberry bushes. Once I popped some raspberries in my mouth and it tasted disgusting so I spit it out only to find there was a stink bug on it - they emit a foul odor and taste to ward off predators like birds.

I also felt bad for the caterpillar but I guess the stink bug needs to eat too!

chico2
March 16th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Superwanda,yes it's the way of nature,every living thing has to eat..
I am awed by Hawks and Kestrels coming to my backyard,even though it means another bird will die.

chico2
March 16th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Yet another Monarch-pic had lots of them last summer:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
March 16th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Yet another Monarch-pic had lots of them last summer:thumbs up

Is that a butterfly bush it's on? Do they attract a lot of bees? (the flowers, I mean...not the monarch...:D )

My husband won't let me plant a butterfly bush because he's uncomfortable around bees and thinks the bush will attract too many. "I'd be the one who'd have to mow around it!" (direct quote from hubby :frustrated: )

SuperWanda
March 16th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Nice pictures!

chico2
March 16th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Hazel,yes it is,I love them,have two and they are in the middle of my larger Perrenial spot,they smell great!!
I don't think they attract more bees than any other flowers,but they certainly attract Butterflies.
Lucky Rescue was talking about Milk-Weed to attract BF but it is a weed and naturally I cannot find any at the nurseries,but I'd love to plant some.
Tell hubby,bees will do you know harm and they are unavoidable if you have flowers,nothing to be afraid of,unless you are severely allergic.

hazelrunpack
March 16th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Hazel,yes it is,I love them,have two and they are in the middle of my larger Perrenial spot,they smell great!!
I don't think they attract more bees than any other flowers,but they certainly attract Butterflies.
Lucky Rescue was talking about Milk-Weed to attract BF but it is a weed and naturally I cannot find any at the nurseries,but I'd love to plant some.
Tell hubby,bees will do you know harm and they are unavoidable if you have flowers,nothing to be afraid of,unless you are severely allergic.

I have a butterfly weed--Asclepias tuberosa, a native milkweed--that attracts butterflies pretty well. And I've planted common milkweed, too--but the common variety is pretty aggressive--rhizomes spread at the rate of about 3 feet a year...if you have fussy neighbors, I wouldn't recommend it!

The butterfly weed gets pretty orange flowers on it--I just planted it last year and I'm hoping that it made it through our long cold spell with no snow blanket in January/February:

I have a catalog from a nursery in MN that sells wild stock. They're one of those nurseries that get plants and seeds from construction projects (collect from an area about to be paved for a road, for example) and then grow their own fields. PM me if you want the name--or a description of the plants. (They have a pretty good variety of different milkweeds, ranging from aggressive spreaders to well-behaved sedentary varieties :D)

hazelrunpack
March 16th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Hubby actually likes honey bees, but he doesn't like them buzzing him when he's sitting on the tractor and can't get away so easily. We had a nest of ground bees in the basement yard last year that kept putting forth defending hordes while he was mowing the grass... :eek: he he he Scarred him for life!

I love your garden shots, chico!

rivers
March 16th, 2007, 11:44 AM

Milkweed is extremely poisonous. If you touch the leaves or the white milk in the stem, you must wash your hands.

Toxicity. Dosages of milkweed may cause toxicosis and, possibly, death. Cattle, sheep and horses are most susceptible. Toxicity is not lost when the plant is dried. Therefore, contaminated hay is potentially toxic.

Clinical signs include profuse salivation, incoordination, violent seizures, bloating in ruminants and colic in horses. Early signs are followed by bradycardia or tachycardia, arrhythmias, hypotension and hypothermia. Death may occur from 1-3 days after ingestion of the milkweed.

It only attracts monarch butterflies, and only if they were born in that spot, as they return generations later to the same spot to lay more eggs.

Last spring, my son brought home a leaf with a monarch caterpillar on it. He found it by a lake, every day we went back to get another fresh leaf for the caterpillar. The bush was crawling with caterpillars. We were lucky enough to see the caterpillar change into a chrysalis later and let the butterfly go two weeks later.

I wouldn't plant it in your yard.

chico2
March 16th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Hazel thank's,I'll look for the Butterfly Weed,probably not the common Milk Weed if it is toxic,I've never heard that before:eek:
I would not want anything toxic with my cats:cat:
Awww,I can't wait for spring,but today it's -5C:frustrated:
My Lilacs,Magnolia and tulips will come first,too bad they are too shortlived..

SuperWanda
March 16th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I have a lot of milkweed in my yard that's why I get a lot of monarchs. I don't have any horses or sheep though. I have two dogs but they don't bother with it.

I'm sure people have different sensitivities but I cut mine back each year and get the milky sap on my hands but it doesn't irritate my hands and I don't eat it.

I have a native swamp milkweed which does not spread too much but I also have some common that has spread more - I may have to cut it back.

Our City of Winnipeg website has a section and store to buy native plants. You can buy all types of seeds including milkweeds. The seeds are collected from tall grass prairie in southern Manitoba. I think it's great to encourage people to plant native wildflowers!

Here is a picture of the chrysalis or pupa:

SuperWanda
March 16th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I think all milkweed is toxic - that is how the monarch's protect themselves from predators because they injest the noxious substance. I have seen a robin grab a caterpillar only to vomit it up again.

chico2
March 16th, 2007, 12:58 PM
SW,I'll look in the seedstore if they have any,nice picture:thumbs up
I am constantly splitting(give to friends)most of my perennials since it seems everything spreads every year,but I like the look of a wild but organized looking garden.
Like in this pic...

hazelrunpack
March 16th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I knew milkweed was toxic if ingested--but I've had dogs for years and none of them touch it. :shrug: (Well, okay...the Sheriff likes the occasional roll in it, but other than that, they don't touch it. :D) Don't know if cats would try it, but my dogs don't seem to find it interesting at all.

I'm not particularly sensitive to the juices, either, but I rarely cut it. Some might be more sensitive. Most people don't plant it, not because of the toxicity, but because of it's invasiveness.

I'm going to put in a few more varieties this year, but it still won't be a problem--we're planting it in the wild area out by the road, away from the dog's fenced area. :thumbs up I'm still going through the catalog and trying to decide which kinds to order. :D A fun winter activity... :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
March 16th, 2007, 01:32 PM
...I like the look of a wild but organized looking garden...

he he he Me too! But with 6 dogs, mine always look a little more trampled than that! :laughing:

Nice garden, chico! :thumbs up

SuperWanda
March 16th, 2007, 02:22 PM
That's the kind of gardening I like too!

Chico - If you can pick the species of plants that are already native to your area they will do much better. I see you are in Oakville so I would imagine you have some of the same species that we have here in Manitoba.

Here is a link I found that lists the types of milkweed you have in Ontario:

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/milkweed.htm#common

Lukka'sma
March 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM
:offtopic: I know flowers and such have a different thread but I just have to say that chico2 you have such a beautiful garden and yard. I just love it:love:

chico2
March 16th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Hazel,my cats do not eat my plants and we are always outside with them,to watch,they have their own cat-nip patch:laughing: and I certainly am not going to eat them(the milkweed),so I think it will be ok...:thumbs up
Superwanda,thank's I bookmarked the site,there are some beautiful flowers there!

Lukka's mom,thank's,it's a labor of love,for sure and we were talking of bushes that attract Butterflies,just got a little sidetrackt:lovestruck:
Oh no,it's SNOWING:sad:
Rocky in heaven,his cat-nip patch!

Prin
March 16th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Wow, this thread has become so educational.:o :grouphug:

rainbow
March 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I just found it now. :o Don't have time to read it all right now but there sure was lots of great pics. I'll check it out later. :D