Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescue frustrations

coppperbelle
February 14th, 2007, 07:58 AM
On Monday I received an e-mail about a 4 month old puppy that a couple wanted to surrender to us. This was their second attempt to give us the pup. The first time, two weeks ago, they changed their minds. I made arrangements to have the pup dropped off yesterday evening. The couple arrived at 6:00 p.m. with the pup and nothing else. I had asked that they give me some food and his crate if possible so that the adjustment would be easier for him. They didn't know if the crate would fit in the car. hmmmm! It was obvious after the first few minutes that they weren't sure about what they were going to do. I asked if they intended on surrending the dog to me last night. They said NO! So now I am wondering what the heck they are doing at my house. We could have had this conversation over the phone and I wouldn't be eating supper at 7:30p.m. They left an hour later with the pup, lots of free advice and training tips. I

Last week another lady called me about her 1 year old dog. This was her second attempt to surrender her dog to us. After making arrangements for a foster home etc.. she changed her mind and ignored our e-mails and phone calls. This time I asked if she was certain and she said she was. I made arrangements for a foster home etc.. once again and guess what. She has ignored my e-mails and phone calls. What a waste of time.

What bothers me the most is that I could not take in another dog yesterday because I was getting the puppy last night. Fortunatley I know this dog is safe with another rescue but this is not always the case.

Frenchy
February 14th, 2007, 10:32 AM
You can bet they will all be calling you back in spring. When the mud comes around.....:mad:

hazelrunpack
February 14th, 2007, 11:20 AM
What the heck...?! :confused:

That absolutely just blows me away... What are they thinking?! Well...obviously, they're not thinking...but I can't imagine them finally making the decision to call a rescue and then repeatedly backing out and wasting everyone's time like that. I just can't, in my wildest imagination, get into the thought process that would make them do such a strange thing... :confused:

If they're that wishy-washy, though, what kind of instruction is the poor dog getting? Are people like that more likely to have poorly-behaved adult dogs?

Prin
February 14th, 2007, 01:57 PM
That's so irritating! :frustrated: :grouphug:

meb999
February 14th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I'm sorry people suck :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

rainbow
February 14th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Sorry you had to go through this. :grouphug: As Frenchy said, they'll probably be back in the spring. :frustrated: Some people are just morons and I really feel sorry for the poor dogs. :sad:

coppperbelle
February 14th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Honestly I don't mind sharing anything I know about the breed with people. It is my passion and I love to talk about it. What gets me is these people actually showing up at my house and then not leaving me the dog. :crazy:

mummummum
February 14th, 2007, 08:57 PM
EEjits...and those poor dogs. "I want you" "I hate you" "I love you" "If you do that one more time you're out the door"...

I'm sure it's all you can do to bite your tongue. Me ? I'd be saying, "Just gimme the darn dawg, here's your hat, what's your hurry." :evil:

And that is why you are the :angel:

joeysmama
February 14th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Why do people get dogs without deciding FIRST if they're going to be committed to the dog? When we had kids we didn't say "Let's have a baby and if it behaves well we'll keep it."

It's not a "for better or worse" proposition to me. You go in with all the "worsts" in the front of your mind. The late nights going out in miserable weather. The housetraining accidents. The vet bills. The training classes. You'd better know that going in and then all the good stuff is just gravy !!

coppperbelle
February 15th, 2007, 07:00 AM
This couple had a 10 year old child at home who was crying because they were surrendering their dog to us. He didn't come with them to my house so you can imagine what happened when they got home and the dog was back. What mind games they are playing with this kid.
One other thing that they mentioned is that they had a golden before and it was so calm and well behaved. Ya, well usually when they reach old age they are calm but people tend to forget what that dog was like when it was a puppy. I hear that story so many times.
Personally I don't give a darn what their reasons are for giving up their dogs. Just sign the surrender agreement and off you go. See ya!

happycats
February 15th, 2007, 04:53 PM
This couple had a 10 year old child at home who was crying because they were surrendering their dog to us. He didn't come with them to my house so you can imagine what happened when they got home and the dog was back. What mind games they are playing with this kid.
One other thing that they mentioned is that they had a golden before and it was so calm and well behaved. Ya, well usually when they reach old age they are calm but people tend to forget what that dog was like when it was a puppy. I hear that story so many times.
Personally I don't give a darn what their reasons are for giving up their dogs. Just sign the surrender agreement and off you go. See ya!

I wonder if they are doing this to discipline the child? threatening to take the pup away everytime the child does this or that.

regardless they shouldn't be wasting your time or space (for other dogs in need) or invading your privacy by showing up at your house for no reason.

The probelm is they know you have a big heart ( as most in rescue do) and can count on you not saying no to their every whim when it comes to this pup:sad:

mummummum
February 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Can't say this too often ~ THANK YOU !!!! To you Coppperbelle and all the others involved in Rescue. I know I can't do it. And I have nothing but awe and absolute gratitude for those of you who can do this incredible work.

So "vent" away woman ~ in other words, tell it like it is. It only reminds me how much I love and treasure my dawgs.