Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Warning about bedding

OntarioGreys
February 13th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I came close to having a very tragic incident with Winnie, which could have resulted in having his foot amputated. So figured I would post about as a warning for others.

If any of you use old blankets, towels as bedding please inspect for holes large enough for foot to get snagged in.

With Winnie I was using old towels in his crate so in the event he had an accident they wuld make for easy washing, but the other day while I was out his foot had got caught in one of the frayed ends, and in his attempt to get it off he started walking around in circles which caused the towel to roll and start twisting and tightening around his foot such that is caught off the circulation , by the time I got home his foot was severely swollen, I manage to get the towel off with lots of screaming, and then started massaging, I then put him on the floor, he stood their still holding his foot way up at first I thought knee or hip might have been injured , but then he started biting his foot , so I hurried up ran a warm bath to help get the circulation in his foot and ease the pain, I kept him in the warm water for about 20 minutes then dried his up, at the point the colour was looking better and some swelling was down and he was able to use the foot, so I know hip and knee was okay, I then took him to he vet to have him examined , vet did a thorough exam of toes and webbing actually twice while we where there, and believed the circulation was not cut off long enough to do serious damage but has recommend warm water bathes a couple times a day for the next couple of days to ensure good blood flow gets to all areas of his foot and to get him back immediately in case anything changes( the only reason I had thought to give a bath because I know in the case of frostbite it helps to ease the bitey pain when the circulation get going, so figured it would be helpful in this instance as well, luckily it proved to be the right thing to do)

My vet did not charge me for the emergency visit, as he was very glad I did bring him in even though he appeared to be okay to be examined, as sometimes things can be far worse than it appears and tissue can die and the foot would need to be amputated if the dog is not brought in right away and supportive therapy started to prevent tissue death as well as th risk of death due to gangrene.

Luckily my little munchkin was not traumatized by the incident, he has been in and out of the crate since playing with toys and last night even decided to sleep in there something he has never done before. :cloud9:

I know old blankets, towels and bedding is used quite often by shelters, rescues, kennels and foster homes, until this incident I never realized how potentially hazardous they could be.

Hunter's_owner
February 13th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Oh my goodness, that must have been very scary!!!:grouphug:

Thankfully everything will be okay.

Hopefully this will keep the same thing from happening to someone else:pray:

breeze
February 13th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Thank you for your post, It show how a small thing like a towel or blanket even toys can become dangerious. We will hopfully keep our eyes opened and check things more often for holes, or tares,
last night I was looking at bree's toys and found a small hole where the squeeky is, If no one noticed it she could have swallowed it :eek:

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Oh, that's scary! :eek: Glad to hear that Winnie is okay, OG! Thanks for the warning.

Prin
February 13th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Great warning. I'm glad Winnie is ok. :grouphug:

jessi76
February 13th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the warning OG!

VERY GLAD to hear winnie is ok! PHEW!!!!!! I would of been scared out of my mind. I will certainly be checking Tucker's blankets TODAY.

Spirit
February 13th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Wow! Glad he's okay! I've seen similar things 'almost' happen at the shelter, but I never realized it could go that far.

Thanks for the warning!

angeldogs
February 14th, 2007, 05:33 AM
glad Winnie is ok.that would hve been scary.thanks for the warning.

Mocha's mum
February 14th, 2007, 11:14 AM
:eek: I'm going through Mocha's stuff right away......holy cow!! Thank you for the head's up, and I'm relieved that Winnie is okay.

Furbaby Momma
February 14th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Thank You OntarioGreys, for sharing this information!!
I use old towels and blankets for rescues and knowing this information I will be sure to not use any with holes in them.

Very glad to hear that Winnie is ok. :thumbs up

Smiley14
February 14th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Oh wow, OG, that is so scary! I never would have thought that about old towels/blankets nor would I have known about the warm water. Thank you for sharing that information!!!

Amazing what they can get themselves into sometimes, isn't it?! Wow, so glad Winnie will be okay!

~michelle~
February 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM
thank you for sharing OG..... kisses and hugs for winnie

JanM
February 14th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I am so glad all is well with Winnie and I thank you for the post. Forewarned is forearmed! Thank you.

rainbow
February 14th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up OG. That must have been very frightening for both of you and glad that Winnie is okay. :grouphug:

H.P.
February 15th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the warning! And thank goodness that Winnie is going to be ok, thanks to your quick thinking! I use old towels for Syd, I will be sure to check them more frequently!

AliSam
February 16th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Wow! That is scary OG. I am glad that Winnie is OK. Thanks for the warning, I believe there is a hole in one of Sam's blankets (that he put there). That will be the end of it.