Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

housebreaking a 3 y/o

THo's Milo
February 13th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Help! I have recently taken in a Shih-tzu that someone found. The vet thinks he's about 2-3 y/o. What is the best way to housebreak them at that age? He's real good to go to the door and whine to go out when I am with him. But when I am at work, he goes a couple of times, but rarely on the training pads I place out for him. I put the pads in what seems to be his "favorite places" to "go." Then he just finds another spot. I tried crate training him but he is certainly not accustomed to that and it seems to really traumatize him, so I stopped. He may only go a couple of times in the house while I'm gone but I didnt know if there was a way to train an older dog not to.

julielenore
February 13th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Is there any way you could put some of the pee on the pad and then he would smell the scent and know it was a good spot to go?
Also is he neutered?
My dog hates the crate, but does not mind being locked in the bathroom with a bed and his food and water, have you tried keeping him in a bathroom or laundry area?

THo's Milo
February 13th, 2007, 12:12 PM
He's getting fixed next week. I'm hoping that helps..... Also, the training pads are supposed to attract him and I did get some advice on here last week that said clean up his pee with a paper towel and put it on the training pad. I've tried that, too. I have not tried locking him in a room. I think he's totally not used to being alone-wherever he lived before-and he gets separation anxiety. I leave the TV on for him so he doesnt get lonely. I'm just trying to get some ideas in case the neutering doesn't work.

Spirit
February 13th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Also, the training pads are supposed to attract him and I did get some advice on here last week that said clean up his pee with a paper towel and put it on the training pad. I've tried that, too. I have not tried locking him in a room.

They may be scented to encourage use, but because your dog was not taught to go there, he's had other accidents... hense making his own "scents" in various areas of the house. He will likely pee on or around the same spots again, since the scent is now there.

Locking him in a bedroom might help if the space is too big (if the space is too big they don't know to go look for the pee pad), but I'm more concerned about why he's having accidents when you're not there, and asking to go out when you are.

This could be a result from seperation anxiety, or that he's being left alone for too long and simply cannot hold it. Either way, your dog has now established that peeing in the house when you're not around is acceptable and the only real way to train him out of this, is to either properly paper train him (start from scratch - your dog is no longer housebroken), or to crate train him so he knows to hold it during the day when you're not home.

Leaving lights and/or the tv on is a good idea, but time is a factor too. Will he pee in the house if you're gone for an hour? 3 hours? 5 hours? How long will he hold it for?