Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Its cold!!!!!!

erykah1310
February 13th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Holy crap its coooolllldddd outside....
The gas froze in my car last night *grumble grumble... everytime we use Shell gas we have some issue with it** Now... I have no idea what to do about that:confused: :shrug:

Does anyone know what the weather network means by " refroidessment eolien" (spelling may be off) cause what ever that is... its -30...
The truck thermometor thing sais -37 :eek:
Welcome winter!!!! lol

breeze
February 13th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I don't know what the word means but I do know it is to cold to do anything

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Wow, Erykah! You've got to move to balmy Wisconsin. I can't recall a time when it was ever cold enough to freeze gasoline! :eek: Right now we're about -12, expecting about -10 for a high. And after a short dip tomorrow and Thursday, it's supposed to warm up into the 20s...er, um...about -6 C or warmer...for the weekend :thumbs up Bring sleeping bags...we have a big air mattress, but no guest beds :D

billyp
February 13th, 2007, 11:23 AM
refroidissement eolien = windchill factor...don't use shell when it's that cold..I always use Petro Canada and never had a problem..make sure to fill your tank!! it's -30 right now and I have to go outside :yell:

breeze
February 13th, 2007, 11:26 AM
refroidissement eolien = windchill factor...don't use shell when it's that cold..I always use Petro Canada and never had a problem..make sure to fill your tank!! it's -30 right now and I have to go outside :yell:

dress warm been there done that it is just tooooooo coooollllldddddd out today waiting for the snow cause it can't be that cold for the snow soo the temp will rise :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

billyp
February 13th, 2007, 11:29 AM
is it true we're expecting 20+ cm of snow in mtl tomorrow??

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2007, 11:32 AM

I've heard that that's true... How it can go from Nebraska, through Illinois and Indiana and then end up in Montreal--all without giving us any snow here--is beyond me :shrug: And totally unfair, I might add :frustrated: We could use some snow...

Oh, and if it's -30 windchill...well, we do get that now and then, erykah...so maybe we're not so balmy here after all... :o

breeze
February 13th, 2007, 11:33 AM

depending where you live on the island yes !!:eek:

Rottielover
February 13th, 2007, 11:38 AM
max 10 cm, just saw weather network.....10 cm not bad at all...can not wait.
Anyways at luch, dressing up warm, booties on harley and off we go.

RolandsMom
February 13th, 2007, 11:54 AM
its pretty damn cold down south here too! lots of snow too. i stayed inside yesterday but have to venture out today for food and such stuff. oh ow i wish i lived on the enterprise and could just order stuff and it appears magically in the oven. hehe wouldnt that be cool.

Rick C
February 13th, 2007, 11:55 AM
With the wind chill, its minus 29 in Calgary right now with a blizzard.

Unpleasant.

My 21.5 km run on Sunday morning - along with a couple hundred other crazy people - was in something below minus 20 with the wind chill. . . . . . froze my nose but was sweating profusely under the clothes . . . yet the clothes were necessary as every once in a while the wind came up and reminded you.

Winter!!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Kristin7
February 13th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Your gas froze???! wow, I've lived in some cold places but never have heard of this. I mean I've been in -30s F w/o wind chill... do you have water in your gas? i forget what it's called, but you could pour some additive into your tank and that would take care of the problem.

I'm in Indiana right now, we're got maybe 6 in of snow but after that it's been sleet. Supposed to switch back to snow, the wind is blowing, i'm at home for the day avoiding the bad snow drivers around here (we don't get much snow here on average). Not getting a lot of work done, I might add... but the dog is loving it, he just has so much fun out there, even seems to like the ice pellets falling on him.

Prin
February 13th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Rottielover, everywhere else, they're saying 25-35 cm... You have to be careful with the weather network because they predict 10 cms between now and tomorrow afternoon... The storm won't be over tomorrow afternoon.:D

meb999
February 13th, 2007, 01:13 PM
yup, I heard 25 to 35 cm also....BIG storm heading our way. Buster'll be pissed, he HATES the snow!

meb999
February 13th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Your gas froze???! wow, I've lived in some cold places but never have heard of this. I mean I've been in -30s F w/o wind chill... do you have water in your gas? i forget what it's called, but you could pour some additive into your tank and that would take care of the problem.

yup, mine froze too a few weeks ago when we had -30....if your tank isn't full, it can be a problem (BTW, mine was Shell gas too, I don't think they put enought of that anti-freeze stuff.....Nic says Petro-CAnada is better :shrug: )

Hunter's_owner
February 13th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Wow, it never gets that cold here. It is always very windy, and people say it is a different kind of cold, but I have never heard of people's gas freezing:eek:

We are supposed to be getting that same storm on Thursday. I hope by the time it reaches us it is very weak:o We have had enough snow;)

Lukka'sma
February 13th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Yep it's cold, and Lukka is love, love, loving it. As for me, I will take it any day over the heat of summer:eek:

breeze
February 13th, 2007, 02:07 PM
How about the fall not to hot not to cold thing could be done outside or inside
the perfect weather

Hunter's_owner
February 13th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Yeah fall is my favourite season:cloud9:

breeze
February 13th, 2007, 02:13 PM
so thats 2 votes for fall do I hear more?? :laughing:

Kristin7
February 13th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Gasoline shouldn't freeze at those temps if it is pure gas (which is really a mix of hydrocarbons and additives). There must be water in your tanks or perhaps even in the tanks at the Shell station. The additives contain methanol, I think, which will help prevent your tanks from freezing. I tried looking, but all types of gas seem to have a diff. freezing pt depending on the mix/additives. The highest temp I saw for freezing pt was -80F. Unless someone is living in the Artic Circle we probably won't encounter this (thankfully!).

Hunter's_owner
February 13th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I think it is the gas line that freezes. I have heard of people around here needing "gas line antifreeze". I think because the gas line has a small diameter, it can freeze more easily.

Kristin7
February 13th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Sorry, I'm one of those analytical scientist types. It doesn't matter where it freezes, in what volume, etc. The freezing point is the same, even in microliter volumes. It just wouldn't freeze at those temps unless there was some moisture (water) diluting it somewhere. And yes, the less gas in the tank (or gas line), the more likely to freeze due to a higher percentage of water being present in that condition. Your car isn't using water for fuel so it stays there, but less gas in the tank will give a higher percent of water if it is in there. You can try adding that stuff and it should help, but sometimes i've found adding a couple bottles is necessary. I think it's funny that the Shell gas is freezing (maybe it's their tanks, who knows) as here it is thought of as the top of the line gas. My bro works in the oil industry and says there is very little difference between brands, except for the additives, though.

Kristin7
February 13th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Here are some tips

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/gas-line-af.html

erykah1310
February 13th, 2007, 02:55 PM
The shell station here has had some serious gas issues, there has to be water in there... we had a jerry can ( 5 gallon) of gas for the trike and it froze on us last year too... when we opened it up, it was slushy:eek:

I usually use gas line antifreeze but havent put any in this car yet... I never let it go under 1/4 tank in the summer and half in the winter.

I despise using shell fuel, but thats the only gas station for 15 minutes either way so some times you just have to!:shrug:

poodletalk
February 13th, 2007, 03:09 PM
I don't find it all that cold :frustrated: I walked the dog for 30 minutes this morning and I was fine. :shrug:

erykah1310
February 13th, 2007, 03:13 PM
ITs not that bad here either right now, but at 7 this morning:eek: it was down right frosty :rolleyes:

* finally got the car running, it went to the garage and sat in the heat for a few hours... costed me 1 hour shop time to do that , but its better than a car that doesnt run.*

mafiaprincess
February 13th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I put a small bottle of methyl hydrate in every tank of gas.. So I never have o worry about my lines freezing. Happened once last winter. Been colder this winter, and she started with little fuss even last week when it was -28 with the windchill :shrug:

Some gas stations have stickers on the pumps to tell you something like 10% methyl has been put in. Prove that it is 10%.. I don't trust it after I got frozen out last year. Doesn't take a huge water concentration to freeze up. And the solution is towing it to somewhere warm.. or waiting for warmer weather to melt it. Not worth it to me.

OntarioGreys
February 13th, 2007, 04:52 PM
It is a good idea to use gas line antifreeze every 2 or 3 fillups it helps to get rid of water in your gas tank, it also helps to keep your tank above the half full during to winter to prevent condensation in the tank, gas station have underground tank with vents melting snow and rain can get into the tanks, I choose service stations that have a fast gas turn over(lots of customers) which requires the underground tanks being refilled more often, I also avoid using a gas station that is located at the base of a hillmore water run off getting into their tanks) . Petro Canada does add antifreeze in the winter months to their gas so it is different than some other places that sells gas, if you notice you seem to go thru more gas at certain services stations or your vehicle runs rougher chances are they have a lot of water in their gas.

Some of the older service stations may have metal tanks which have corroded and no water and dirt is getting into the tanks. Some services were reported to be watering down there gas inorder to increase profits

Water in fuel tanks can be minimised by keeping the fuel tank near full, and
filling in the morning from a service station that allows storage tanks to
stand for several hours after refilling before using the fuel. Note that
oxygenated gasolines have greater water solubility, and should cope with
small quantities of water.

chico2
February 13th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Well everybody in Quebec,the snow we are getting right now,is on it's way to you,it's -13C here right now and it's been snowing since this morning,I have about 15cm in the drive-way,with more to come...
Hubby is away,now,do I shovel or try to get the snowblower started??
I can see the headline in the paper"Elderly lady run over by large Snow-Blower":laughing:

wdawson
February 13th, 2007, 05:30 PM
here in hamilton we are getting 50cm overnight......snow day tomorrow....i hope

OntarioGreys
February 13th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Well everybody in Quebec,the snow we are getting right now,is on it's way to you,it's -13C here right now and it's been snowing since this morning,I have about 15cm in the drive-way,with more to come...
Hubby is away,now,do I shovel or try to get the snowblower started??
I can see the headline in the paper"Elderly lady run over by large Snow-Blower":laughing:

I choose to risk getting run over by my snowblower :p , have than risk crippling myself trying to shovel and lift that very fine heavy stuff that is out there right now, though I would probably have an severe asthma attack instead :rolleyes:

breeze
February 13th, 2007, 06:59 PM
ontariograys how far is woodstock from montreal ??

wdawson
February 13th, 2007, 07:41 PM
its about 7hours maybe 8 drive

breeze
February 13th, 2007, 08:19 PM
its about 7hours maybe 8 drive
thank you as you can tell geography is not my best subject :laughing:

Prin
February 13th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Weather network now says:
From Tuesday overnight to Wednesday overnight we expect : 25-35 cm of snow:eek:

Kristin7
February 13th, 2007, 11:35 PM
OK, just walked home. I have lived in Indiana for 5 years, this is the worst I have seen as far as snow goes. Watch out for you in the path of this. It is nearly a blizzard now... fun though. This was like sometimes in the winter in Michigan, up near your Canadian border. Sure miss that. I thought the snow was over, but it has gathered some strength, more wind and snow and not quitting for several hours more.. must be slow moving. Have fun ya'll!

chico2
February 14th, 2007, 07:33 AM
OH BOY,am I in trouble,at least 75cm-1 meter in my driveway and still snowing!!
I am going out now to shovel,won't even bother reading the snow-blower manual on how to start it.
It is a big snowblower,really heavy to move around.....could someone come here and start it for me??:laughing: :laughing:
I am going to take some beautiful pics though,if I can open my door..
Well,here it goes,better get out there..
The snow is relatively light at least..
OG,I too have a lung-problem,have to take it slow,,,and hubby is in Martinique with his sister:sad: this is what I get for not going with him:evil:

Kristin7
February 14th, 2007, 10:57 AM
wow, that's a lot of snow, Chico2! I hope you are ok w/ the snowblower! We only got about a foot, but it was hard to shovel due to the layer of ice in the middle.... the wind was quite strong too, so lots of drifts. Martinique, yes, it is probably much nicer there :D

chico2
February 14th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Kristin,I got the snowblower going:thumbs up

Kristin7
February 14th, 2007, 11:56 AM
woo hoo! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
February 14th, 2007, 12:03 PM
NOT FAIR!!!!! I live in WISCONSIN, for Pete's sake! Where's MY snow!?!? :sad:

Frenchy
February 14th, 2007, 12:28 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/animals/7.gif

Hunter's_owner
February 14th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Frenchy I LOVE it. :thumbs up That made me laugh out loud, the guy in the next office had to come see what I was laughing at:laughing:

Frenchy
February 14th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Frenchy I LOVE it. :thumbs up That made me laugh out loud, the guy in the next office had to come see what I was laughing at:laughing:

As long as it's not your boss :eek:

Hunter's_owner
February 14th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Nope, he is down in another wing of the building, but I know he would like it too:D

breeze
February 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM

thats sooo cool I want to do that to some people around here !!

chico2
February 14th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Hazel.here you go,have some of mine:thumbs up

wdawson
February 14th, 2007, 01:28 PM
and you can have ALL of mine

Prin
February 14th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Snow storm my hiney. :sad: I should take pic of this "storm". :sad:

The weathermen said:
"It's different than all the others we've had so far!"
"Watch out!"
"Be careful!"

But it isn't. It's just the same as the others. :sad:

Skryker
February 14th, 2007, 01:38 PM
:eek: Goodness, Wayne! That's one heck of a lot of snow! I don't remember that much snow in Hamilton since I was little. I grew up in Burlington, and have pics of 5-6 feet of snow on the ground with little me climbing on the snow banks. I can't remember that much snow as an adult, though.

Skryker
February 14th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Snow storm my hiney. :sad: I should take pic of this "storm". :sad:

The weathermen said:
"It's different than all the others we've had so far!"
"Watch out!"
"Be careful!"

But it isn't. It's just the same as the others. :sad:

Yeah, so far it doesn't even seem like a storm-just average snowfall. Wonder what it'll be like later, though.

Snow covered roads aren't stopping the idiots from speeding down my street though. :frustrated:

chico2
February 14th, 2007, 02:00 PM
WDawson,My oldest son lives on Hamilton montain,he drives a van like yours,not the same logo though,he could not get out of his drive-way this morning,snow up to his side-mirrors:laughing:

wdawson
February 14th, 2007, 02:34 PM
yea they get more up there

AliSam
February 14th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Here's ours.

Sam didn't stay out very long. Here is our backyard
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/AliSam/Miscellaneous/009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/AliSam/Miscellaneous/016.jpg

Our buried BBQ
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/AliSam/Miscellaneous/011.jpg

Here is the front. My car looks very cold
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/AliSam/Miscellaneous/014.jpg

Here it is piled up in our back window
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/AliSam/Miscellaneous/015.jpg

TeriM
February 14th, 2007, 04:47 PM

Frenchy that was hilarious! I really enjoyed a good laugh with that one :thumbs up .
Nothin but lots of rain here today :D .

rainbow
February 14th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Our snow is going away fast.....only about 6 inches left. :highfive:

Prin
February 14th, 2007, 10:39 PM
K, I took some...

This afternoon:
And tonight, about 10 minutes ago, as the plow passed... Looking a little more snowy...

chico2
February 15th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Well,I woke up to -22C and the snowplow has put up a wall at the end of my drive-way:evil: I am on a cornerlot and that always happens:frustrated:
Maybe I have to pull out the snowblower again:yell:

Rick C
February 15th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Yesterday morning in Calgary, it was minus 32 with the wind chill.

This morning, it was PLUS 2.

What a screwy place.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca